Macbook Pro Audio Quality
Jun 18, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #151 of 227
Wow, that is really cool. Ive had an 8x DL dvdrw for a year and a half on my laptop.

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #152 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that is really cool. Ive had an 8x DL dvdrw for a year and a half on my laptop.

Yeah but can you burn a blue-ray disk like the multimedia
creative powerhouse Mac....

wait a second!!!!!

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #153 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not true. Cog is a pretty cool program that plays flac. It's not foobar, but it has gapless playback and bitperfect sound. It just needs a better file organization system.

I use iTunes for most stuff and keep a separate flac library in an application called Songbird. It is still in development, and the design is based on Firefox and iTunes, but it has great plugin support, good organization, and plays flac. I'm pretty happy with it.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #154 of 227
Quote:

Who buys a retail copy when assembling a computer?? As someone who supposedly works with computers should know something about oem prices.

Hey wait a second here. You're the guy who tried to say you work with an 8 core Mac Pro in your "production house" or whatever you called it. I asked for proof of what you do and proof that you work with a Mac and you disappeared. Now two pages later, with a slight subject change, you're back? I don't think so.

Some come on, back up your previous statements.

Anyhow, why would one buy a retail copy of Vista versus OEM? A few simple reasons. First being that Microsoft changed OEM licensing. You can only use one OEM copy per motherboard. Build a new computer? Need a new copy of WIndows. Second, as frequently as Windows needs reinstalled, OEM copies can only be activated by CALLING and speaking with some person half way across the world who barely has any grasp of the English language.

I've also seen Vista and XP need reactivation from something as simple as upgrading motherboard drivers.

So with an OEM copy you'll be calling Microsoft every so often asking for permission to use the software YOU purchased. And once you do a motherboard upgrade you have to purchase a new copy. Seeing as how Microsoft loves long development cycles for Windows, most "enthusiasts" who build their own hardware will buy at least 2 OEM copies during the lifetime of Vista which equals one retail copy. Plus the retail copy has the benefit of not having to ask permission to use it every time something changes or you have to reformat.

Quote:

You mean you don't have to buy Office for mac? Could you atleast list what the hell are you buying for the pc?

OpenOffice is one of the few good pieces of OSS. But thats thanks in very large part to Sun.

Lets see, what do you NOT have to buy? You need GOOD burning software, so you have to purchase a full version of Nero. Need minor photo editing and Gimp/Paint.net are both complete jokes to be honest with you. Want to watch DVD movies with decent quality? Forget VLC and Vista's built-in MPEG-2 decoder don't stand up to WinDVD, PowerDVD, and DVD Player when it comes to image quality. I could make a full list.

But its up to you to provide proof to back up your original statements first
wink.gif

Quote:

My god. What are you doing with your computers??

Using them the way Microsoft advertises you can use Windows. It's not my fault that you have to run virus scanners, spyware scanners, firewalls, that Vista STILL requires defragging, that the file system is unstable and needs to be scanned every so often, etc. Or that the registry gets so bloated that the system slows to a crawl or grows unstable. Or my favorite, Windows simply just kills over dead and needs to be reinstalled.

Quote:

You obviously have all the time in the world and very large Apple-glinted glasses.

It takes me all of 10 minutes to type out my posts
wink.gif

About half the time it takes AVG to scan a light install of Windows for viruses.

Quote:

Photoshop is much much clearer in Windows than OS X.

now thats hilarious. Please explain this, because I've used CS3 on Windows and OS X and its an amazing experience on OS X while on Windows it feels just like another Windows app with some extra features thrown in.

Quote:

Especially when running a lot of applications. Clutter = OS X. And when I occasionally miss a window something from below jumps up ahead.

Apparently you've never used Photoshop in OS X. Oh and windows jumping up? Sorry, I've never had a window steal focus in OS X the way they do in XP and Vista.

Clutter? Press F9. All of your windows are on screen and you can pick what you want
wink.gif

Photoshop is also neat in the way that, if you click on a window that is not part of photoshop, the entire program fades away, except for the layers/picture and you can do what you need outside of Photoshop. When you want, click back on the picture and Photoshop is back. Much better than having to alt-tab through a billion different windows to get what you want, or windows key-tab to scroll through the list in Vista.

Quote:

And why don't those damn programs close when I close the window? Argh.

On the other hand, why DO programs close when I close the window? That is incredibly annoying, especially when I Have to wait for the program to relaunch because of an accidental button click.

Quote:

Besides, I didn't want to buy first generation hardware with dual core.Once it matures a bit more, i'll buy a quad coreI can afford to do that later on because I did not waste all my money on a mac.

On the other hand, those of us who bought Macs already have fast computers and don't need to wait for the next generation. Oh, and guess what? When the quad-core chips do hit laptops and are in the Mac, we can buy new ones then too.

Quote:

As for the pc I compared to an imac, all the parts were from newegg.

Links? With full software suite, as well as speakers, keyboard, mouse, and monitor equal to that of the iMac. Until then, your argument is invalid.

Quote:

The power supply is also a very important consideration so I picked this one

A 330 watt power supply? For a desktop PC? With a Core 2 Duo and current generation GeForce? Are you asking for it to be killed?

Quote:

And I don't have to pay for software. Its one of those little perks of using linux. See, unlike you, I won't be standing outside of an Apple store at 12:00 on a rainy night in October with $130 weighing my pocket down.

I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to build a computer equivalent to an iMac. If thats the case, then Linux is far from being an option. Linux is great for a hobbyist or enthusiast, but it is still SEVERAL generations away from being ready for prime-time desktop use.

Quote:

As for the lack of sound card and speakers, the motherboard has built in sound and optical out. That matches what the imac has, and considering that this is a high end audio forum, i dont think factoring in the cost of an external DAC/amp/speakers is going to be a very good idea. Lets just say taht they both have the same capabilities in the sound department. If you want a pair of desktop speakers, get logitech2.1s. They are dirt cheap and will blow apples 2.0 system out of the water.

First, that $50 still has to be factored into the cost of the system because you would have no sound otherwise.

Second, prove that the onboard sound is as good as that in the iMac.

Third, the onboard sound has to be BIT PERFECT like that in the iMac.

Without special software configurations or drivers.

Quote:

They are selling it in the US. It has a 10" LCD,USB2, a 1ghzish intel CPU, 512mb ram and a 4GB solid state hard drive. It also weighs around 2 pounds. For all of you keeping score at home, the macbook weighs over two and a half times as much.

They will sell it in the US but it is INTENDED to for developing countries.

A MacBook weighs 5.1 pounds. A 15.4" MacBook Pro is only slightly heavier, and a 17" MacBook Pro weighs in at just over 6 pounds.

What do they offer versus that other system? DVD burner, faster processors that require a lot of cooling equipment, hard drives that measure in the hundreds of gigabytes, more RAM, bigger screens, etc.

Quote:

And while some 15.4" LCDs are WXGA like the macbooks, a good one will be 1680x1050, and certain laptops will give you the option of 1920x1200 even.

Oh yeah?

Care to link to some 15.4" notebooks with 1920x1200?

Infact, while you're at it, you should easily be able to find a number of high quality 15.4" LCDs that offer 1920x1200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE

Sure are a lot of 15" displays there that offer 1920x1200.

How about notebooks?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=&srchInDesc=

Look at that list!

Oh? Whats that? Only 1 15.4" notebook that offers 1920x1200? And look at that price! It costs MORE than the MacBook, yet is way behind in technology and it even runs Windows XP! How old is that?

Quote:

So is my 17" laptop lcd at 1920x1200 equal to a 23" cinema display?

And you got that from... where? That makes absolutely no sense.

Quote:

As for the idea that mac OSX can magically make a 13" LCD usable, thats just plain funny.

Well, stop using your illegally hacked old developer copy of OS X and go use a real Mac and you'll see just how good it works
wink.gif
And yes, I mean old. It may have the 10.4.8 or .9 updates, but all of those illegal copies that run on non-Mac hardware stem from developer builds released a couple of years ago before the Intel Macs started rolling out.

It's amazing what Expose can do.

Quote:

Besides, and im not sure if you realize this, but linux has had "spaces" since... forever.

And Windows had "Spaces" well before Linux WM developers ripped it off. Big deal. Nobody said anything about spaces. I was talking about how Expose will let you manage your windows. The funny thing is that "Spaces" will be the first proper virtual desktop manager.

Quote:

MOSA500, you really have a dazzling command of this subject. Despite owning Macs almost from their inception, I'm learning a lot from your posts and appreciate the effort they must take.

I try to be as educational, and civil
wink.gif
as I can be. It just annoys me to no end that people will say the most ridiculous things about Macs to make them look bad.

It's amazing how many "knowledgeable" PC fans I've run into recently that still insist that MacBooks have no right clicking options!

I was using my Mac in public one day and somebody was asking me about it. One person who had claimed to have built "many" PCs "by hand" tried to tell the person the Mac could not play MP3s or read JPEG files! I had to pick my chin up off the floor. Even when proven wrong the person still insisted that Macs couldn't do as much as Windows.

Quote:

I think you'll find that things aren't usually so polemical here, and I hope you stick around.

Yeah, I know! I love this forum. Been lurking here for years. The anti-Apple crowd in this thread is what caused me to finally post.

Quote:

I agree completely about the MacBook's size. I used my wife's extensively while waiting for the new MacBook Pros to be released and, truth to tell, I often miss the smaller form factor. I think it's perfectly sized for my use.

I agree 100%. I've had two 15.4" notebooks previous to this and HP offered me a 17" to replace the faulty one I had before. The form factor and overall size is perfect for general use. If I need more screen space I can get an external monitor. I can easily move this system around, use it on my lap, or just generally take it with me much easier than I could take around those larger systems (the newer one bordering on 2" thick because of HP's literally slanted design). Moving the 17" around was completely out of the question because of both size and poor battery life.

Seems to me that some people here are forgetting that notebook PCs are meant to be portable, not be a small PC with a battery sitting on your desk.

Quote:

I'd previously tried the MacBook with somewhat less stellar results. Both do a great job with my external LCD monitors.

I've connected my MacBook through VGA to a 37" LCD TV with a 13something by 768 resolution and it looked fantastic. I only tried a few DVDs and some movies I had encoded myself, but all looked very good. DVD playback looked better than the Pioneer DV-578As currently connected through component cables and set to progressive scan.

Quote:

Edit: That whole thing was outdated. I guess the new mbp doesnt fare too badly against the dell.

Doesn't fare too badly? The current MacBook Pro stomps that Dell to pieces. And the Mac doesn't force Windows on you
wink.gif

Better yet, the Mac actually comes with restore DVDs! How about that!?

Just getting it up to the same processor as the MacBook Pro and 2GB of RAM takes it well over the price of the MacBook Pro.

Quote:

Oh how about that. BETA software behaving like beta software. Is that really such a surprise?

Not so much of a surprise as all of the people I have seen XP SP2 lock up on during install and completely hose their XP installations, rendering much of the data on the drive unrecoverable.

Safari 3 Beta might be acting like beta software, but at least the whole operating system wasn't brought to its knees by placing an animated cursor file on the desktop
wink.gif

At least most of the problems associated with the Safari 3 BETA were fixed by removing the software. But you sure can't help the people who lost their entire XP installation to locked up SP2 installs.

Or the hundreds of thousands of viruses, spyware, etc. that plague Windows users every day.

Quote:

Plus the Dell displays are more vibrant than that of the Macs IMHO, ranging from laptop-to-laptop comparisons all the way to desktop widescreen-to-desktop widescreen.

Definitely your opinion, however, there are reviews on the internet that suggest otherwise. Dell does SELL good screens.

But, google is your friend. You might be surprised to find out that Apple, Dell, HP, etc. all buy their screens from the same manufacturers
wink.gif

Just like Apple and Creative bought their LCDs from the SAME manufacturer for the Zen Vision: M and iPod 5G.

Quote:

I'de bet you'de walk out with a fatter wallet when you leave the PC store.

And a Windows PC loaded with all kinds of trialware, adware, and junkware preinstalled and no proper clean restore DVDs to get rid of all of that junk.

Quote:

There are BRAND NEW PC laptops you can get for $750 with 1GB ram, Dual core 1.8ghz, and 120GB HD for that much....and it's brand new.

But guess what? Those are Windows PCs built to much lower quality standards. And, again, they run Windows.

Quote:

If you want better sound, simply get a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook soundcard for $50 and i can guarantee it will trump the onboard mac sound chip any time.

Would you like me to take a picture of my Audigy 2 ZS Notebook? I have it right behind my MacBook. I used it for the better portion of a year before getting my MacBook.

Through speakers, headphones (Koss KSC-75 and A500s), the MacBook simply blows away the Audigy 2 ZS. The Audigy was very fatiguing, the sound was muddied, and it simply gave me a headache. The drivers also unnecessarily bloated and, despite Creative's claims, it is not bit-perfect like the Mac.

The Audigy 2 ZS is well behind the Macs in terms of sound quality.

Quote:

Personally i'm downloading the KDE 4 software suite for OSX right now. It is still prepreprealpha quality, but Amarok should be able to run I think.

Yes, pre-alpha software is going to run great on an illegally hacked developers copy of an OS that is running on hardware that doesn't meet the full system requirements for it.

Quote:

And when was the last time your laptop was less than an inch thick with the screen up?

You do know that the MacBook and MacBook Pros are both only about an inch thick CLOSED and roughly 3/4 of an inch thick when opened, right?

Setting my 80GB iPod next to my MacBook right now, theres not even enough space for an iPod nano to lay on top of it and come even with the MacBook.

So yes, an 8x slot loading drive in such a small space is something to talk about.

Jun 20, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #155 of 227
MOSA500, pardon, but have you read the "One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't" article on maddox.xmission.net? I think it might interest you.

I won't link it here because it has some explicit language (so this is a word of warning to those curious), but it's a fun read.
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #156 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MOSA500, pardon, but have you read the "One thing PC users can do that Mac users can't" article on maddox.xmission.net? I think it might interest you.

I won't link it here because it has some explicit language (so this is a word of warning to those curious), but it's a fun read.
tongue.gif

Haha! I thought that was hilarious, and I'm a Mac user!
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #157 of 227
I'm the OP. I just thought that I would chime in real quick and say that I totally did not expect this thread to turn into a flame war. I was just really surprised that the MBP could drive my DT 880s decently unamped.

I myself am a long time PC/Linux/Windows user with what I would claim is a pretty good understanding of computers (I know assembly and I've built quite a few computers). I understand that the Sigmatel audio chip that Apple choose could have just as easily ended up in any other laptop and that any laptop with that chip could have the same effect.

My 2 cents =P

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #158 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

first thing that came to me was the fact of being scared of every virus,worm
and malware out there.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #159 of 227
I find this entire thread ineffably strange.

I've been a Mac user for most of my life, but not because I fell in love with the platform. It was purely a question of which machine was going to get me work. Had I lived in the UK or Germany, I'd have chosen an Atari at first and then a PC or Mac (depending on the circle that hired me). Since I was raised in the States, the choice was made for me in the beginning.

All of my first work came from bootleg copies of Performer, Vision and Cubase. Sound mangling was done via programs like Alchemy and Turbosynth. Later, I began using Protools, Digital Performer and Finale exclusively, along with various utilities, mastering and post apps (Peak, Master Tracks Pro) and plug-ins (Wave, etc.). Ah, the late 80s-to-mid-90s nostalgia of it all.

Writing-wise, I always chose to work in Word, since Word files were the ones publishers and editors understood.

Graphic design was another matter entirely. I insisted on doing the layout for my first book and accomplished it all easily within Quark and PS for the Mac. This I did in part by temping at a few design and publishing houses to pick up tricks (in those days, every design house seemed to use Macs). There was never a question of which platform was superior; I've never cared about that, since both would do the job. I've only ever used the apps and OS my clients and producers have expected.

None of this was done with free apps or even apps made by Apple. All was accomplished in a far more competitive environment -- one in which Apple hadn't begun to edge out every suite or synergy but their own.

Competition might increase instability, but it also increases versatility. I'd rather be able to use every instrument at my disposal for an arrangement; so it is with computer platforms and even competitive programmers who write for a single platform. Macs and PCs have a history of excelling in different ways despite their growing uniformity. No point in being overly invested in one particular side of a changing horizon.

However, that shrinking difference could change easily, as could the Mac's advantage when it comes to Avid and Protools.

When last I looked, Avid's major shareholders were MS and IBM. Seven or eight years ago, their influence compelled Avid to try to confine its workstation platform to Windows machines. The resultant explosion of protest from high-end clients who were effectively told their $200,000 WS would be non-upgradeable caused Avid to rethink this strategy, and also gave Apple the leg up to popularize FCP. Even so, there might come a time in the future when Avid and Digidesign's main users migrate to the PC after the fruition of some less conspicuous shareholders' strategy. If and when that happens, I'll be compelled to migrate as well. I won't be thrilled, seeing as how I've trained on Macs for so long and would rather not lose that sense of easy familiarity. But the platforms really aren't that different, and I wouldn't be frustrated with the PC's limitations so much as the loss of my endless repertoire of shortcuts and the need to migrate decades' worth of data.

I happen to love the diversity of apps available for the PC. I also appreciate that Gates, fascist though he might be, does not actively hunt down and kill every wee app that makes a PC worth having (foobar, FLAC, EAC and Acid come to hind). Bangraman mentions that, for Mac users, iTunes is "all you've got." While that isn't true literally, it is practically speaking. Audion, Jukebox and various other formerly innovative players (which had visualizations, plugins, cross-fades and lossless support long before iTunes) are effectively scattered ashes.

Personally, I love the tweakability of EAC and various other PC apps. I also vastly prefer gaming on a finessed PC to a Mac. True, the PCs at offices are often frustrating and pedestrian (as is my GF's work-loaned laptop), but that's because they're meant to be merely adequate for business. No point in comparing one's spec'd Mac to a bland Office machine. Compare it instead to a ruthlessly clocked demon tower home-spawned from hours of research on Tom's Hardware.

True, I love the enhanced recording abilities of my MacBook Pro -- especially with Apple's vastly improved version of the once-forbidding latency-math-intensive Logic package. It isn't a matter of Apple computers being better but of CPUs improving to the point at which dedicated Protools hardware is increasingly unnecessary. (And don't think Apple was innocently developing an appropriated digital recording app: It was attempting to steer low-budget users away from Protools in the wake of Avid's failed coup.)

Yes, I like the optical out, but I like the FW800 out a lot more -- especially for syncing with larger setups. Yes, the headphone out is far cleaner than that of the various noisy PC desktops I've tried, but I'd never own a PC spec'd with that sort of sound. Years ago, the Audiophile 24/96 might have provided the lowest quality out I'd accept. However, I've always used professional PCI and external hardware IOs. Certain members might dislike the SQ of the MOTU 2408 Mk II, but it certainly sounded better than same-decade offerings from Turtle Beach.

Still, the MBP's headphone out is nothing to celebrate. The Apogee, Move and Hornet + MicroDac are likelier to make the Mac (or any other computer) sing.

Re the various PC reactionaries who flooded this thread: I don't really understand the point of bashing Mac users en masse and then complaining they are zombies, since the undead hordes were clearly shambling in from the outside to indulge in another mindless game of Platformism (Bangraman included, his Mac collection notwithstanding). No point in complaining of mindless conformism if you're parroting the phrase "Mac fanboy," Bangraman. Original thoughts demand original forms of expression, and we both know you're capable of both.

But that doesn't excuse the smugness and unexamined claims of Mac users on this thread. "It just works; it's just better; PCs are inherently buggy, bad-sounding and inelegant" -- none of that is less base than the prattle of trolls who nurse their obsession by ostracizing mac users, macs, OSX and that emaciated Jewish child who happens to have wandered into the neighborhood. Tellingly, one participant here said he'd thought about trying a Mac but feared he might turn into a "mindless fanboy." Really -- is your personality so weak that merely trying a different kind of computer could destroy your willpower? Does your CPU try to hypnotize you when no one else is looking?

Indulging in Lilliputian us/them divisions is a waste of mental real estate and leads to flame wars which are likely to leave conscious participants ashamed and sleepwalkers unaffected. Nothing gets solved, no one is converted and little of interest is said. Even when the tech talk threatens to become interesting, the here's-why-you're-a-walking-rectum agenda jacks the discussion's direction.

Really -- if Macbook Pro users want to discuss the sound of their computers and you think they sound like "fanboys," then perhaps you should take the high road and focus on making non-confrontational comparisons to prove your point rather than attacking the intelligence and unstated intentions of total strangers. Otherwise, you sound a bit like a canned voice accusing someone else of sounding phony.

Mac evangelists might well stick to discussing the best sound options for their computers and should neither succumb to the urge to brag nor be sucked into flesh-tossing contests with the bored Undead.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #160 of 227
Since we're on the subject of how to phrase arguments to make them less objectionable, I'm going to suggest that conciseness in writing is a great virtue.

See ya
Steve

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #161 of 227
Taunting one's misperceived adversary, however subtly, by flaming them on the basis of style is a low strategy, Steve. Participants in a civil discussion ought to be above that sort of thing. After all, I've never flamed you over punctuation, spelling or grammar (not that you're worse in that area than most other people), nor should you be flamed for such an irrelevant, disingenuous and specious reason.

Besides which, your parallel is false: Writing at length has nothing to do with incivility. If it did, then Lincoln's Cooper Union Address would be remembered as the height of rudeness and not the speech that ensured his Presidency.

Best to address the argument and not the speaker's hair style. If you disagree with the idea of civility on this thread, then perhaps you can explain why you do.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #162 of 227
Quote:

I asked for proof of what you do and proof that you work with a Mac and you disappeared. Now two pages later, with a slight subject change, you're back? I don't think so.

What are you talking about? First of all I don't care if you think I work in the zoo. Second of all, it's weird that if I bash a Mac I have to be evil or something. It's just not possible that I can bash those machines because A) They don't suit me at all? and B) because they suck? That's not possible huh? And what subject change? I have no idea what you're trying to do at all. I mean, what's the meaning of your posts?

I will definitely not read your humongous post after reading something like that or reply to you anymore. Absolutely no use, you live on your own little world. I will reply just once and that's below this post.

To everyone else:

I just had another freakout with that OS X. Did you know that mouse acceleration is impossible to turn off without getting a third party program? I had always wondered why my mouse was so damn sluggish in mac. Now I know. OS X is bad.

Here's info for anyone who's wondered about the mouse movements in os x.

http://arewold.wordpress.com/2006/07...-acceleration/

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #163 of 227
Let's pare your post down to its single relevant issue:

Quote:

Did you know that mouse acceleration is impossible to turn off without getting a third party program? . . . [baiting and generalizations deleted]. . . . Here's info for anyone who's wondered about the mouse movements in os x.

http://arewold.wordpress.com/2006/07...-acceleration/

An interesting rant, but here's what I don't understand: How is the Mouse subpage of the Keyboard and Mouse settings in System Preferences insufficient? It has settings for tracking, scrolling and double-clicking; have you tried them? If so, do you find the possible settings too slow and, if so, why?

Also: Most specialty third-party mice come with added software. Since my Razer Diamondback is a "precision mouse," I wouldn't expect its features to be optimized using naked system software under any platform. Question: Is your mouse the stock Apple variety or are you using a third-party variant?

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #164 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOSA500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So with an OEM copy you'll be calling Microsoft every so often asking for permission to use the software YOU purchased.

Never had to call anyone. And I regularly upgrade my computer. Although I haven't really done any upgrades with Vista yet.

Quote:

It's not my fault that you have to run virus scanners, spyware scanners, firewalls, that Vista STILL requires defragging...

My video partition (HFS) got pretty fragmented when it went the distance. Playing back videos started getting really slow until getting some more space. They do fragment.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintainingmacosx.html

"If your hard drive is nearly full, or if you engage in video editing, you may see some performance benefit from defragmenting."

Mac doesn't need maintenance? How do you respond to this?

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Besides, I don't really do any maintenance with Vista or XP anyway, except for regular updates.

Quote:

Apparently you've never used Photoshop in OS X. Oh and windows jumping up? Sorry, I've never had a window steal focus in OS X the way they do in XP and Vista.

I'm getting really pissed about reading how I haven't done this or that. Just used CS3 yesterday.

Quote:

Clutter? Press F9. All of your windows are on screen and you can pick what you want
wink.gif

I work with a 24" lcd. I really like how I can see all the windows ALL THE TIME, without pushing any damn buttons. Yes, I know you work with a 12" or some other, but I really like the space.

When you have about 12 programs open at the same time the OS X is really looking ugly. Windows flying everywhere.

Quote:

Much better than having to alt-tab through a billion different windows to get what you want, or windows key-tab to scroll through the list in Vista.

No really, it's not. I have to tab with the os x more than with windows.

Quote:

On the other hand, why DO programs close when I close the window? That is incredibly annoying, especially when I Have to wait for the program to relaunch because of an accidental button click.

So the minimize button and close are almost the same damn thing in os x. Now that's stupid. It works well in certain programs but when every damn application starts lingering around it feels kinda weird.

Quote:

Better yet, the Mac actually comes with restore DVDs! How about that!?

Have you ever had a good system failure with macs? It's about 100x harder to trace the reason for it than in Windows.

I've given you about a billion reasons why I will always choose a pc instead of a mac. The main reasons are better programs for the pc and personally I also like Windows XP & Vista both better than OS X.

And then there's games to top it all.

What does the mac do better? Nothing at all. It's just a more limited pc.

That's about it. There are also about 1000 little niggles about the macworld, but the main reasons have been outlined. If you disagree (and ofcourse you will) then fine, but don't bother responding. I've been stuck in stupid little rants too much anyway.

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #165 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's pare your post down to its single relevant issue:

An interesting rant, but here's what I don't understand: How is the Mouse subpage of the Keyboard and Mouse settings in System Preferences insufficient? It has settings for tracking, scrolling and double-clicking; have you tried them? If so, do you find the possible settings too slow and, if so, why?

It doesn't have settings to change mouse ACCELERATION! The mouse moves slower when moving it slower and faster when moving it faster. I like to use a very high sensitivity to keep the speed fast and it just moves really weirdly in the mac. Well the mac basic mouse sucks anyway so I guess Apple doesn't really care about how the mouse feels?

I had to google around but finally found a program to disable the mouse acceleration for the mac. Much better. It really increased my productivity. I was watching some dude doing editing with the mac and my god did he move the mouse slowly. I guess that's what macs do to you
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back