Macbook Pro Audio Quality
Jun 8, 2007 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 227

aaronylee

Head-Fier
I just got the new macbook pro that was updated on Tuesday.

I was really surprised when I plugged in my DT 880s and found that the laptop was actually able to drive them unamped, and the sound wasn't half bad either!

Has anyone else noticed this with past macbook pros? This is my first one so I wasn't sure if they had changed the audio card or not.

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 227
Mac's are unique machines, I've noticed that when it comes to multimedia they are just a step above...its not surprising to me by any means...but I think if you were to plug you DT880's into a regular amp you'd notice what your missing.

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 227
I use HD25-1's with my MacBook Pro as they seem to be the best match from my arsenal. I wouldn't say it sounds that great tho.

I have a DA-100/HP-100 combo on the shopping list to help fix this problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 227
Not gonna be a popular opinion but I believe people with Macs have a completely different decision from those with PCs. The standard advice about....

- needing to get away from the noise in the box
- neeeding to get an external DAC to improve what is on the sound card
- needing an amp to drive good phones
- and on and on and on.....

is all less relevant to us so-called Apple fanboys. Yes, improvements can still be made and I have indulged in some. But the sound out of Macs (at least those produced in the last coupla years) is quite strong and refined. The upgrade for Mac owners is much more subtle. The cheapest way for a mac owner to get good SQ? Buy some really great phones and plug them into the back. Not my choice (at least right now) but that should be a real option for the music lover smart enough to have bought a Mac. Simple, less expensive, and 90%+ of what you are likely to achieve by spending a lot more.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not gonna be a popular opinion but I believe people with Macs have a completely different decision from those with PCs. The standard advice about....

is all less relevant to us so-called Apple fanboys. Yes, improvements can still be made and I have indulged in some. But the sound out of Macs (at least those produced in the last coupla years) is quite strong and refined. The upgrade for Mac owners is much more subtle. The cheapest way for a mac owner to get good SQ? Buy some really great phones and plug them into the back. Not my choice (at least right now) but that should be a real option for the music lover smart enough to have bought a Mac. Simple, less expensive, and 90%+ of what you are likely to achieve by spending a lot more.

The implication there is that all PCs are the same. I swear, some Apple fanboys are drinking stronger koolaid than the people buying silver power cables for their computers. I don't doubt the sound quality is good, but certainly not something that can't be improved with a good soundcard, or DAC + amp. I imagine your average beige box plus an average soundcard like an X-fi would beat the sound quality on a new Macbook Pro.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 227
Quote:

I agree- macs sound very good right out of the gate. When I got my iMac this past yr after a long line of PCs I was shocked to hear how good music sounded coming out of the speakers. Plus I couldn't even find em (They are in the back).

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 227
No Spongey, the implication was not that all PCs sound the same. I am sure some people pick and choose components and spend a lot of money to make sure their beige boxes sound decent. The implication of my post was that the average PC bought for some purpose other than audio sounds like crud whereas every Mac sounds great straight from the beautifully designed box without regard to whether the buyer asks/cares/knows about the SQ.

I am a fanboy because I made the switch 2 years ago starting with one macmini and now my household (I have a home office and 2 kids who are home-schooled) has 5 Macs and we are down to 1 PC which is still one too many. I am a fanboy because Apple has improved our lives, made us more productive, taken away the hassle of running a home network, and surprises us almost every day with what we are able to do without ever thinking about spyware, viruses, crashing, incompatibility, networking or really anything other than the substance of what we are working on (or listening to!!). I truly do not care that much about Apple Inc, but I have tremendous gratitude for what they have designed and delivered.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 227
That's fine. To each his own. My computer voodoo magic switch was to Linux, and I enjoy picking and choosing compenents (to maximize the price\performance ratio, not spending a lot of money).

I agree, it's nice that Apple is delivering a great out of the box experience. However, it seems to me that someone with a ~$500 pair of headphones would gain from using an external DAC and amp no matter what computer they're using.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 227
Agreed. There are certainly still gains to be had especially, as you pointed out, when spending $$$ on the phones.

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 227
I think the big thing with the MacBook Pro's is they don't really suffer from electrical noise and other interference picked up from the computer, as is common with basic PC sound cards. Maybe people mistake this for decent sound quality?

There is definitely room to improve the sound coming from a MacBook.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 227
Quote:

Yeah but the insane price of the laptop offsets the price you save by not buying audio gear
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 227
Am I missing something here? Macs use Intel HD audio, which is the same crap used in every other laptop produced in the past two years. Maybe it is better shielded and doesnt hiss, but it is still a bad sound card. And as for driving the phones, my Dell Inspiron 9300 drives my HD580s just fine. They hiss and the sq is crap, but it drives them.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I missing something here? Macs use Intel HD audio, which is the same crap used in every other laptop produced in the past two years. Maybe it is better shielded and doesnt hiss, but it is still a bad sound card. And as for driving the phones, my Dell Inspiron 9300 drives my HD580s just fine. They hiss and the sq is crap, but it drives them.

Nope: you're not. Same hardware, same Intel platform, and AsusTek and other PC ODMs manufacture MacBooks. Let them believe what they want to believe
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 227
Well, one thing that might be contributing is that Macs are Bit-Perfect out of the box, so that comes as a surprise to many long time pc users. But yes, the sound out of my Macbook Pro far surpasses any laptop I have used before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back