Macbook Pro Audio Quality
Jan 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #211 of 227
Just re-reading some of the posts in this thread, a few points:

- its great that you like the onboard sound in your Mac, but using that to criticise external DAC/amps as a 'waste of money' is idiotic.

- I have had good results from optical out of my MBP, and good results from USB on a very basic Acer netbook running Linux : the key to both lay in the components outside the laptops. The MBP has the edge, but at the price I paid it would want to .....

- there are solutions to the roadblocks thrown up by each operating system - bringing OS wars into a thread simply because you like Apple gear is childish

As previously pointed out, they are all just tools - dont worship the technology.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #212 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've got Optical on your Macbook Pro as well. Just need a mini-Toslink adaptor. Stick it in the normal headphone jack and it switches to optical like magic. Works nicely here.
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm a noob at this; what do you mean by optical ?
redface.gif

Does my regular white Macbook have that?

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #213 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by cruizin caleb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm a noob at this; what do you mean by optical ?
redface.gif

Does my regular white Macbook have that?

I believe it does. You'll need a wire like this: silver mini

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #215 of 227
May 14, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #217 of 227
Just picked up a new 17" MacBook Pro i7 and the audio from the headphone port is rather good, I had the older generation and that was OK, this new 2010 seems much better, does anyone know the spec inside, do I need to amp it, it sounds good as it is with my 595 

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #219 of 227
Don't know if the 2009 model of Macbook Pro compares with 2010 model, but the 2009 model sounds like my onboard PC desktop audio. Not great. But acceptable, I only use AD700 and AV 40 studio monitors for the MBP and PC.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #220 of 227
Should be interesting to see what happens with Apple audio with Hollman on board.  THAT sounds like interesting things are afoot.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #221 of 227

Quote:
Should be interesting to see what happens with Apple audio with Hollman on board.  THAT sounds like interesting things are afoot.

The fact that Apple was talking about 24-bit audio, to me, says a lot about their thinking. Music is a huge part of their business and while they're continuing to grow, they need something more now to push them that next extra massive bump. Audiophiles, I think, would find iTunes a much better option if the sound quality was improved and you could buy 24-bit audio. Imagine, for a second, downloading 24-bit audio from every band, not just a few select bands that happen to release it.

By the way, I have a 2006/2007 MacBook Pro (the 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo model) and I notice a audio quality difference between that and my iMac (2.93 GHz Core i7 model). My guess are the newer Macs are pushing audio quality more and more. The thing I love is I still get people saying, "wow, the speakers on your laptop sound so much better than my [Dell/HP/Lenovo/whaever]."

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #222 of 227
I agree, my old MacBook Pro 15inch, Early 2008 (last one before unibody) evokes the same response. Large soundstage and great stereo from this baby.

My new 13inch MBP early 2011 does not sound that good. I guess it's a space problem as well :)

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #223 of 227

Quote:
I agree, my old MacBook Pro 15inch, Early 2008 (last one before unibody) evokes the same response. Large soundstage and great stereo from this baby.

My new 13inch MBP early 2011 does not sound that good. I guess it's a space problem as well :)

Huh, interesting. That sucks, I wish I got the 2008 version, haha.

EDIT: Wait, we're talking about the MBP's speakers? I thought we were talking about the headphone out / line out. Because I agree that the MBP speakers are very acceptable laptop speakers, but the headphone out has much to be desired.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #224 of 227
Hi!

Yes, the audio quality of the 2011 audio out increased a lot indeed. The speakers (as I was comparing a 2008 15 inch to a 2011 13 inch) is bad, but more caused by the form factor than anything else :wink:

So long,
K

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #225 of 227

Quote:

The fact that Apple was talking about 24-bit audio, to me, says a lot about their thinking. Music is a huge part of their business and while they're continuing to grow, they need something more now to push them that next extra massive bump. Audiophiles, I think, would find iTunes a much better option if the sound quality was improved and you could buy 24-bit audio. Imagine, for a second, downloading 24-bit audio from every band, not just a few select bands that happen to release it.

By the way, I have a 2006/2007 MacBook Pro (the 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo model) and I notice a audio quality difference between that and my iMac (2.93 GHz Core i7 model). My guess are the newer Macs are pushing audio quality more and more. The thing I love is I still get people saying, "wow, the speakers on your laptop sound so much better than my [Dell/HP/Lenovo/whaever]."

I know that each generation of iPod has noticeably better audio.  More dark space and less grain with each new one I've bought, though LOD to amp still trumps the built in amps, especially with less efficient cans.  At least on my 2 year old MacBook, the audio out is not so great.  I looked in the system profile and it simply describes the hardware as "Intel audio."  If that's the case, we're certainly not in the high-end zone on AD converters.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back