MacBook Air
Feb 7, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #331 of 414
Or they hired people to design it for their target market. They make other computers targetted at other people. If you haven't had one targetted at you, either they don't think there is money in it, or they haven't gotten there yet. Either way, since there ARE computers designed for what you like, why do you crap in threads about computers not aimed at you?

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #332 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or they hired people to design it for their target market. They make other computers targetted at other people. If you haven't had one targetted at you, either they don't think there is money in it, or they haven't gotten there yet. Either way, since there ARE computers designed for what you like, why do you crap in threads about computers not aimed at you?

Because Apple strikes me as an extremely dishonest company that only thrives because of blatantly false advertising and claims. They actually make my job more irritating by their false advertising, so I enjoy - yes, enjoy - engaging people in logical debates about their products, and watching them realize they have no idea what they are talking about. Each sale I take away from Apple makes me money and feels just a little bit good.

Can you honestly name their target market besides people who don't know any better? Remember, 2.5 hours of battery life on the lowest screen setting doing nothing intensive. It will be much less with the screens cranked up so kids can see when doing their work outside...

They are essentially fleecing and screwing over their customers. They are advertising nearly twice the battery life! I mean, come on...

Apple is a company that is specifically built to profit off of stupidity. I suppose it's their right, but it's also my right to call them out on it.

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #333 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple is a company that is specifically built to profit off of stupidity.

This is true in some ways, but not all. Some people just like the apple model.
It's great that these people have that option. ^_^

The battery takes up like....... half the laptop. I can see that they still were not able to give the computer the power it needs for extended usage. Perhaps the technology just isn't ready yet. When they do develop a battery, even if it's the new capacitive battery, that can give this little thing like... 5 hours of battery life, that will be awesome! I could totally see people wanting something this small with excellent battery life. The Air is a step closer..... not there yet, but closer.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #334 of 414
Anandtech does standardized battery test, gets 4 hrs 18 minutes

I'm sorry, but just because you don't like the product doesn't make me stupid for using it. It doesn't even make you smarter than me, more knowledgable about computers, or better at seeing through marketting claims. Do they give best case numbers for battery life? Yes. So does everyone else. Does apple make a product that works better than anyone else? For my needs, they do. Do I give a crap whether it works for your needs? No. You're just another internet troll who wants to prove he's smart by talking trash on the internet.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #335 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because Apple strikes me as an extremely dishonest company that only thrives because of blatantly false advertising and claims. They actually make my job more irritating by their false advertising, so I enjoy - yes, enjoy - engaging people in logical debates about their products, and watching them realize they have no idea what they are talking about. Each sale I take away from Apple makes me money and feels just a little bit good.

Can you honestly name their target market besides people who don't know any better? Remember, 2.5 hours of battery life on the lowest screen setting doing nothing intensive. It will be much less with the screens cranked up so kids can see when doing their work outside...

They are essentially fleecing and screwing over their customers. They are advertising nearly twice the battery life! I mean, come on...

Apple is a company that is specifically built to profit off of stupidity. I suppose it's their right, but it's also my right to call them out on it.

rolleyes.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #336 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anandtech does standardized battery test, gets 4 hrs 18 minutes

I'm sorry, but just because you don't like the product doesn't make me stupid for using it. It doesn't even make you smarter than me, more knowledgable about computers, or better at seeing through marketting claims. Do they give best case numbers for battery life? Yes. So does everyone else. Does apple make a product that works better than anyone else? For my needs, they do. Do I give a crap whether it works for your needs? No. You're just another internet troll who wants to prove he's smart by talking trash on the internet.

grawk, don't let people get you so worked up...... it's not worth it..... (not for you, not for others).

I'm amazed at just how personal some people take these remarks. Let us have the foresight to see that you can't sway the extremists, so there's no point in even entertaining their arguments. And there's no point in trying to defend what you like, because that doesn't sway people either. People make up their own mind. In the end, outsiders are just left with a bad taste in their mouth from the extremists on both sides.

Now lets shake and make up!
^_^

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #337 of 414
Woah, 34 pages devoted to the MacBook Air.... I gave up after the first 5.

Anyways I own a MacBook Pro 15", and I think the Air is cool but not for me.

As someone on some blog said, ultra-portable does not equate ultra-thin. With that kind of thickness, one probably needs to be yet another $100 computer bag which weighs twice as much as the laptop just so your precious investment don't depreciate like a rock due to scratch and bumps.

Now with the Air + protection = regular sized windows laptop that cost $500 that you won't be afraid to throw around and runs just as fast, OR a $1100 MacBook which will end up being smaller anyways.

There's definitely is a market for it, but to really reap the benefit you would probably have to be willing to put up with a thin-sleeve type protection that'll subject your $2~3000 to danger of bumps, or spend more to convert the super thin sexy laptop into a beefy package yet again.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #339 of 414
I'm quite the Apple fanboy. But, I'm not all that interested in the Air. I love my Macbook Pro and don't want to sacrifice features for size.

I'm really hoping the Air is not the reason my AAPL stock is in the crapper right now.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #340 of 414
I used to work in an Apple retail store, and most Windows users that would come in were simply ignorant. Didn't know what Macs could do. Most people I talk to outside of that store were the same way. Being ambidextrous, I can say there are good and bad things of both computers. I am using a Mac right now, it's 4.5 yrs old, and it's running strong. My PC would never be able to do that. Oh and it's on almost 24/7 and rarely gets restarted. Does it slow down and F up? Nah, only if I am tweaking and screwing around with deleting, downloading, burning, shifting, etc. I still don't restart though. This thing chugs.

The MBA looks kinda cool as a concept or a computer in lieu of something bigger and better to come, but as a computer itself, it is very specialized... something Apple doesn't usually do. Apple's view and my view parted, that's why I left the store. Great place to work BTW. Simply put, I won't be getting a MBA
smily_headphones1.gif

Tyler

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #341 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylernol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a Mac right now, it's 4.5 yrs old, and it's running strong. My PC would never be able to do that.

That's funny Tyler, because my old PC, which is older than 4.5 years old, is solid as a rock with XP. Just goes to show how much the *user* and *hardware* come into play when talking about computers.

Bottom line: linux, windows, and mac are all stable when done right.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #343 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Declaring how you can't operate something does nothing for your credibility IMO. As for all the poor mouth PC stories give it up, it been done to the nth.

Monty Python's Flying Circus - "Four Yorkshiremen"

Credibility? Ha! Back in my day no one would trust you, much less look at you. We were all the outcast children snorting glue in the alleyway. Credibility, ha!

Thanks for the link, I got a kick out of it!

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #344 of 414
I like the look of the air but I would much prefer the penryn macbooks that are going to be dropped at wwdc. Montevina Macbook = win imo.

Feb 9, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #345 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny Tyler, because my old PC, which is older than 4.5 years old, is solid as a rock with XP. Just goes to show how much the *user* and *hardware* come into play when talking about computers.

Bottom line: linux, windows, and mac are all stable when done right.

Do you use it as a type writer? My PC would run great if there was no internet connection on it. The hardware has hardly anything to do with it. The software simply is not solid, on 98% of Windows PCs (don't hold me at gunpoint with that number, I just made it up). To keep my, and others, Windows XP systems clean and running in 70% optimal performance, I would need to reinstall the OS on average of every 6-12 months. This is not to say it wouldn't run, because that is always the case. However, "hardly." If you use all the default settings, programs, etc... impossible, with the internet. There are many reasons why, and I can list them, but I'm not going to. You seem smart enough to know why. Plus, I just downloaded some FLAC dream theater and red sparowes and want to listen to them.. thanks, Tyler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back