MacBook Air
Jan 25, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #301 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate everyone throwing out hundreds of examples of thin or lightweight notebooks out there, but from an engineering standpoint when you are building something involving compromises, isn't one of the more important measurements volume?

Volume is a poor measure of notebook portability due to the notebook form factor. A 12*12*0.6" is imperceptibly thinner than a 12*12*0.8" object, but that represents a 33% increase in volume. Difference in portability? Nil.

L*W*D measurements are much better descriptors than volume.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #302 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two guys take the stage.
"Hi, I'm a PC."
"And I'm a Mac."
Repeat a dozen times a week on national air.

yeah, what rock have you been sleeping under?

windows deserves it for their monopolist-imperialist ****; "PC's" don't

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #303 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume is a poor measure of notebook portability due to the notebook form factor. A 12*12*0.6" is imperceptibly thinner than a 12*12*0.8" object, but that represents a 33% increase in volume. Difference in portability? Nil.

all this talk is so silly; do ya folks not get that it's a sex symbol? it's not for functionality, though some that buy it may rationalize it by thinking of it as such; i think all in all it's just too expensive for most folks that would want it, kinda like............oh wait..........................the IPHONE
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #304 of 414
Quote:

I don't know about you, but all of these portables will fit easily into my messenger bag, and a messenger bag/briefcase/backpack has a fixed capacity. So yes, volume is important from a practical standpoint.

"Perceptibly" the Air actually fits better into many messenger bags, if that's going to be the measure of portability, as it takes up as little depth yet doesn't exceed the width or height.

Again, some of this has to do with personal preference. My main point is that (short of a ridiculously shaped portable), for the sake of comparison and to help show that they didn't leave out features willy-nilly from an engineering standpoint, volume should be as good a baseline for comparison as "thin" which as you have shown is a poor measurement itself if the WxD are bizarre.

--Chris

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #305 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all this talk is so silly; do ya folks not get that it's a sex symbol? it's not for functionality, though some that buy it may rationalize it by thinking of it as such; i think all in all it's just too expensive for most folks that would want it, kinda like............oh wait..........................the IPHONE
wink.gif

Already noted in post #115 of this thread.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #306 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I disagree with Marvin, but at least he had something worthwhile to add to the discussion in the post you replied to.

To hell with all of you if you can't have an adult discussion. We might not discover much about the portable market in this thread, but we sure will be able to tell in the end who's grown up.

--Chris

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #308 of 414
Did you really expect it to?

Then you wouldn't have to buy a different one from them to use on your other machine.

Apple certainly didn't get where they are today by being consumer friendly! Why would the deviate from their formula now, when they are currently quite successful?

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #309 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you really expect it to?

Then you wouldn't have to buy a different one from them to use on your other machine.

Apple certainly didn't get where they are today by being consumer friendly! Why would the deviate from their formula now, when they are currently quite successful?

It's a technical issue, not a "Apple being consumer unfriendly" a la AirPort/Time Machine issue.

Standard USB ports simply don't supply enough current to power a DVD drive. Existing solutions either use two ports (ugly/cumbersome), a brick (bulky/ugly/cumbersome), or an internal LIon/LiPo battery (expensive).

Using a high current USB port and associated DVD drive really was the best engineering solution given the (boneheaded) restriction of only having 1 physical USB port. It's also reasonably priced, so it's not like they're gouging either.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #310 of 414
Wait, why would anyone need or want to use the Air SuperDrive with another machine?

Presumably your compliment machines already have them?

I'm not sure why choosing to pay extra for a proprietary external drive is any different than choosing to pay extra for a proprietary external docking station such as with the Lenovo.

You could just as easily choose another portable USB drive (assuming you plug it in to the wall) if you are concerned about being able to share your portable drive with another (portable? do you carry two?). It is a USB 2.0 port, no?

--Chris

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #311 of 414
Quote:

Wait, why would anyone need or want to use the Air SuperDrive with another machine?

My exact question as well.
Most other computers have a build in DVD drive, so no real need to hook up this one.

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #312 of 414
Quote:

Presumably your compliment machines already have them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My exact question as well.
Most other computers have a build in DVD drive, so no real need to hook up this one.

I mentioned it much earlier in this thread, direct disc to disc copies from my MacBook Pro, bus powered, and around $100. So far there is no other drive that meets these requirements, and I guess there still isn't.

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #314 of 414
Quote:

It's a technical issue, not a "Apple being consumer unfriendly" a la AirPort/Time Machine issue.

Standard USB ports simply don't supply enough current to power a DVD drive. Existing solutions either use two ports (ugly/cumbersome), a brick (bulky/ugly/cumbersome), or an internal LIon/LiPo battery (expensive).

Using a high current USB port and associated DVD drive really was the best engineering solution given the (boneheaded) restriction of only having 1 physical USB port. It's also reasonably priced, so it's not like they're gouging either.

I'd have to say that's happy coincidence (for Apple) or more likely by design. Lots of external drives allow you to add AC power if the USB support doesn't supply enough power. Which is a very common issue even on desktops.

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #315 of 414
Arstechnica has a nice review of the Macbook Air.

Thin is in: Ars Technica reviews the MacBook Air: Page 1

They like it, but hate the crappy battery life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arstechnica

The biggest iPod of all

Think of it as an iPod touch Extreme with a built-in keyboard.

The Good

* Form factor is indisputably thin and light. Photos don't do it justice
* Sturdy despite its looks
* Works great as a full-size portable Internet device

The Bad

* Migration Assistant is incredibly annoying to use without FireWire
* Most of your USB devices won't fit into the tiny port door—stock up on your extension cables
* Performance isn't exactly the Air's strong point compared to other Macs

The Ugly

* 4200rpm drive causes major machine slowdowns when there's lots of disk activity
* Battery life is disappointing—only half of advertised life on lowest screen brightness

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back