MacBook Air
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #317 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arstechnica has a nice review of the Macbook Air.

Thin is in: Ars Technica reviews the MacBook Air: Page 1

They like it, but hate the crappy battery life.

Just half of advertised battery life is not acceptable.
Guess I really should reconsider getting one, or not. Hmmm...

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #319 of 414
I seriously wonder who apple envisioned the air being used by.... what type of person, what type of function.

Would probably be pretty cool for a college student now that I think about it..... but it looses some attraction when you bring it home and want to hook up various items to it.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #320 of 414
Road Warriors: consultants, lawyers, accountants, sales, etc.

People who fly 500k miles a year, live out of a carryon, and want to reduce their load without making it harder to get their work done.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #321 of 414
That's what thinkpads are for!

I kid - just giving you a hard time.

EDIT: Although I guaran-friggin-tee you that no road warriors will buy this thing. It won't even last a flight in coach, where there are no power adapters. 2.5 hours - that's horrible.

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #322 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Road Warriors: consultants, lawyers, accountants, sales, etc.

People who fly 500k miles a year, live out of a carryon, and want to reduce their load without making it harder to get their work done.

Wouldn't they rather reduce their load with a UMPC? Because the Ars Technia review said the Air's performance was on level with UMPC's. Yet UMPC's are smaller.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #323 of 414
Quote:

What makes you think apple's releasing leopard for non-apple hardware?

They aren't but it seems that there is a way to work around it. With the hardware being the same as PC's I don't see how long Apple is going to keep its OS restricted only to Macs.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #325 of 414
Quote:

UMPCs make work harder, not easier. Screen and keyboard real estate matter.

I take it you don't use a pda/smart phone. Small keyboards and screens are still very usable.

And by pda/smart phone, I don't mean the iPhone.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #327 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you don't use a pda/smart phone. Small keyboards and screens are still very usable.

And by pda/smart phone, I don't mean the iPhone.

It depends on what you're doing with them. if you want a pda, don't get a macbook. For a lot of work, reduced keyboard and screen size is a problem.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #328 of 414
But 2.5 hours of battery life isn't.

Good thing ou can just change out the battery.

Oh wait...

You know I hate to admit it but if you could replace the battery, I think I would have actually begun to consider the Macbook Air to run Vista on. I would have bought the base model hard drive and put in my own SSD to save money.

I get the sex appeal around campus, Vista, a backlit keyboard, and something that's pretty thin and light. Those are the things that matter to me, a college student - which WILL be the largest market.

However, this thing won't even make it through my first two classes of the day! What the hell were they thinking?

My econ professer the other day, who owns multiple Macs, was saying how he wanted one because of how often he flies all over the country to give presentations and papers, but how it would be useless because he flies coach and it would just die.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #329 of 414
Guess apple should have hired you two as design consultants. They obviously missed their #1 customer: people who don't want macos, don't prioritize thin, and who are willing to spend time supporting their own computer problems.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #330 of 414
Quote:

Guess apple should have hired you two as design consultants. They obviously missed their #1 customer: people who don't want macos, don't prioritize thin, and who are willing to spend time supporting their own computer problems.

So they hired people who want a thin Mac but aren't willing to troubleshoot computers to design their notebook?

No wonder I spend half my time on campus fixing broken macbooks.

If they hired people like us, the Air would be useful, and I WOULD want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back