MacBook Air
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #393 of 414
hey guys, question for ya! i didnt think this was worth a thread so here it is.

I'm getting my Pro next week and I'll need to transfer some files. Mostly music and pictures, but I have over 5000 songs, a lot of them in FLAC so.. Well you know
tongue.gif

The Macbook has gigabit ethernet and so does my desktop, but my router isn't. I was wondering if I could connect an ethernet cable from the desktop to the laptop and do it that way?

I'm a mac noob so I don't even know if they will be compatible. Can I just drag and drop?

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #394 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, question for ya! i didnt think this was worth a thread so here it is.

I'm getting my Pro next week and I'll need to transfer some files. Mostly music and pictures, but I have over 5000 songs, a lot of them in FLAC so.. Well you know
tongue.gif

The Macbook has gigabit ethernet and so does my desktop, but my router isn't. I was wondering if I could connect an ethernet cable from the desktop to the laptop and do it that way?

I'm a mac noob so I don't even know if they will be compatible. Can I just drag and drop?

Actually you could do what you described if you already had a Mac. Getting data from an old Mac to a new one is possible by connecting a FireWire-cable and activating the migration-assistent. But it seems like you have to copy all your data manually by burning it to lots of DVDs, copying the stuff to an external hard drive or send it over to the MBP via network. Therefore you will have to activate Settings -> Sharing -> File Sharing on your new MacBook. Afterwards it's neccessary to drag and drop the data to the folders you finally want it to be in (documents, music, photos, videos, etc.). Have fun with your new machine!
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #398 of 414
hmm I think time machine or airport extreme base station could be useful for you in migrating your data.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #399 of 414
I just picked up my new MBA and have been running it through the paces the past two weeks. I have the standard issue HD version. I'm not editing huge music/ video files so it has all the speed I need. In fact, running basic apps., I can't tell the difference between it and the mac book pro(s) we have around the house to compare it with. Yes, it's not a stand alone computer and there are trade offs and I know it is slower...blah,blah,blah... but size, portability, design perfection, large tracking pad with multi-touch control, make it (for me) the sweetest Mac Notebook I have ever owned and that would be around 9 over the last, well, since they first started making them,ha.

For Audio/Movies on the MBA:

I am totally impressed and find the audio running through my Predator Dac to be exceptional for "on the go" use. I still prefer my home rig Dac/Amp, etc. but this little combo is just killer!

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #400 of 414
So...anybody run JUST windows on a Mac? In about 2 months, I'm looking to get a new laptop, and the MBA is looking enticing...but OSX kinda freaks me out.

It'll be Windows or Linux, just unsure of which distro...

I was looking at the X300 since it's the MBA direct competition, but it's not quite the same....

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #401 of 414
Oicdn, You can run boot camp on the MBA but I would imagine it would be a bit sluggish. Don't worry about OSX, it is very easy and intuitive-you'll love it, ha.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #402 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...anybody run JUST windows on a Mac? In about 2 months, I'm looking to get a new laptop, and the MBA is looking enticing...but OSX kinda freaks me out.

It'll be Windows or Linux, just unsure of which distro...

I was looking at the X300 since it's the MBA direct competition, but it's not quite the same....

I hear a lot of folks at microsoft do
biggrin.gif
Seriously!
If you pick one up, give OSX a couple weeks before you ditch it. Make sure you get quicksilver and try to memorize some of the keyboard shortcuts, it becomes an incredibly efficient OS. I've had good luck with virtualizing Windows, I can't tell the difference between native and virtual performance when running 3D CAD suites and visual studio.

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #403 of 414
MBA is still overpriced because of cutting-edge technology. Wait till prices of components come down. To me, the reduction of size is not worth the hefty price tag, slower performance and reduced expandability. Macbook is not THAT much bigger but better and cheaper in all other respects.
BTW OSX is one of the major reason to buy MAC? I am already sorry I HAVE to use that (censured) Windows to run some indispensable software.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #404 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6RS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MBA is still overpriced because of cutting-edge technology. Wait till prices of components come down. To me, the reduction of size is not worth the hefty price tag, slower performance and reduced expandability. Macbook is not THAT much bigger but better and cheaper in all other respects.
BTW OSX is one of the major reason to buy MAC? I am already sorry I HAVE to use that (censured) Windows to run some indispensable software.

+1 overpriced like ALL MAC products
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #405 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 overpriced like ALL MAC products
biggrin.gif

You're not generalizing are you? *shakes head*
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back