MacBook Air
Feb 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #376 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OS X is unix. Linux is Unix.

Unix is not invulnerable but its a lot harder to attack than a Windows machine. Its a lot easier to do stupid things on a Windows machine and leave it vulnerable. You'd need to know what you are doing on Unix to do that, and if you know what you are doing you won't do something that stupid. Hopefully.

For the average Joe. A Windows machine is more vunerable. However anyone can secure a Windows machine in about 5 mins. Install free firewall, free AV and free AntiSpyware let it all auto update. And above all don't be stupid.

That is until you login as root and run something like an IRC client. In that case it's the easiest feat on earth to takeover a unix based system.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #378 of 414
since it's almost impossible to log in as root on a mac, that's not a huge problem.

You're talking about the equivalent of driving into south philly in a new bmw, popping a sign on the roof that says "back in 30 minutes" and leaving hte keys hanging from the door

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #379 of 414
oh my goodness, the bickering continues about what is safer, windows, mac, unix, linux, sunos, etc etc.
Give it a rest guys.
I can't believe people don't get it........ you'll never convince the 'other side', for all fanboys are both wright and wrong, and the other side only picks up on why you are wrong. It's a never ending cycle of, frankly......... a stupid waste of time.

Can't you see it?

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #380 of 414
Yes, it is a waste of time arguing about it. However, I must say, Ive had more viruses in Windows than UNIX like systems. In fact, Ive never gotten a virus on a unix like system. And because of unix's design, it probably wont happen. Besides, they have virus protection for unix systems anyway.

Feb 27, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #381 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by EYEdROP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is a waste of time arguing about it.

Glad you see it. No reason to keep beating a dead horse with a rhetorical 2x4.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #382 of 414
Nothing really to debate. OS X is Unix. Unix is better than Windows for a range of reasons, for security. But isn't invulnerable. Windows can be made reasonably secure with some free, resource light software. End of issue.

Spam and people not doing backup is a bigger issue IMO. None of this is really got anything to do with a MacBook Air. Either it meets your need or it doesn't. Its that simple.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #383 of 414
Oh my!
All these Apple threads turn into a Mac OS X vs. MS Windows war. Let it rest.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #387 of 414
So, aside from all the lively discussion... has anyone actually bought one of these yet?
I think I may look at that new mini HP when it comes out. I could use a super compact lappy, and this one's just a bit too big. Thin yes, compact, no
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #388 of 414
No one? wow that's a bit of a surprise. Really. hmm

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #390 of 414
Hello Head-Fi. I officially made my decision on a laptop today. After heavy, HEAVY consideration of the Macbook Air. I decided to go with not that, but the faster of the two 15 inch Macbook Pros. The Price/Performance ratio just wasn't enough for me to spend that amount. And I've decided to replace my desktop with this for the most part so I'll be getting the better of the two 15 inch Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back