Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Feb 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,291 of 3,495

Quote:
Interesting. Although I haven't spent much time with Audirvana Plus, its earlier versions gave me the opposite impression. I find iTunes slightly bloated and given to a level of smearing.

Same here, of the ones I tested I found Audirvana Plus to be the second best after Fidelia.
I do want to test Amarra Junior still, waiting for the 64-bit support.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,293 of 3,495
Distortion? That's very strange. Did you contact Rob at PM? He might have some ideas about that, although you might want to watch the db meter. If the track plays above 0db (shows red) you might be overdriving the inputs on your preamp/DAC. I've found some lesser quality CD's and even HD downloads to be recorded too high (i.e. the loudness issues/wars). 

To see if that is the case, just lower the level (and lose a bit of resolution). If it's a HD recording, it's probably not a big deal, and I doubt you'd notice a difference with CD quality either. In most cases one or two db is all that's needed to fix it. 

Just my .02 cents. 

Quote:
No stuttering here as well which is normal since I'm using a full option top of the bill iMac, 16Gb, latest version.
I always switch the load into memory option on.
The only player I had problems with is Pure Music which gave me terrible distortion.

May 1, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,294 of 3,495
I have been listening to various Demo of alternatives to the iTunes, and found Amarra to have the best layering of sound, but Fidelia in its basic form matches it closely sonically, but no layering. However, Audirvana has a more define detailed bass on some difficult music, but a mushy high end. I am using an iMac loaded with WAV files played through a NuForce udac-2, or a Benchmark on loan from a friend, and listening on Beyer 770 and Sen 600. I listen to mostly world music (Celtic, Turkish, North African, Middle Eastern, and Japanese) English folk revival groups, and Russian and Romanian (women) choir  music.

I am still listening and testing, and want to know if anyone using these programs can suggest settings I might try. Also, has anyone listen to the Fidelia with the fifty dollar add on? What does it do?

May 1, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,295 of 3,495
Just started listening to my music collection through Decibel.  So far, it's by far my favorite non-iTunes player.  IMO, much more transparent and detailed than PureMusic and way better than in all aspects to Bitperfect.  BTW, I'm using Nuforce Icon-2 with Energy Veritas Mini speakers and listening primarily to Classical (symphonic and chamber) and some Jazz and Bluegrass.  

May 2, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #1,296 of 3,495
Quote:
I have been listening to various Demo of alternatives to the iTunes, and found Amarra to have the best layering of sound, but Fidelia in its basic form matches it closely sonically, but no layering. However, Audirvana has a more define detailed bass on some difficult music, but a mushy high end. I am using an iMac loaded with WAV files played through a NuForce udac-2, or a Benchmark on loan from a friend, and listening on Beyer 770 and Sen 600. I listen to mostly world music (Celtic, Turkish, North African, Middle Eastern, and Japanese) English folk revival groups, and Russian and Romanian (women) choir  music.

I am still listening and testing, and want to know if anyone using these programs can suggest settings I might try. Also, has anyone listen to the Fidelia with the fifty dollar add on? What does it do?

I have both Fidelia with the Advanced module and Audirvana Plus.  My pathway is Macbook optical out > Nuforce HDP > HD 600

I had originally bought Fidelia and really enjoyed it until I got Audirvana Plus.  To me it sounds much more organic.  Fidelia seems to have a better soundstage but it does not compare to the smoothness of Audirvana.  

To Mortone, Fidelia Advanced seems to add give more air to each of the pieces creating a more succinct soundstage.  Tonal balance doesn't seem to be affected except for slightly tighter bass.  It also adds features such as Hog Mode, and Memory play.  Hog Mode "hogs" the computers audio so while your listening notifications or sounds will not interrupt the music, it supposedly improves sound quality as well but I can't hear a difference with my setup.  Memory play is a nice feature, this one definitely increases the quality of sound providing a smoother sound.  There are also settings for the isotope dithering if that interests you.

May 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #1,298 of 3,495
For me I am still using BitPerfect, Audirvana Plus and Fidelia Advanced.

PureMusic: didn't like the interface at all and as said before I had quite heavy distortion, don't know what's the cause but I like stuff to work right out of the box. Didn't look into i t any further since I don't like the interface anyway.

Amarra: no 64-bit support yet, seriously Sonic Studio? If I buy that and have to wait for a year every time a new version of OSX is out I'd go nuts. And no, I see no good reason why I should run my 64-bit iTunes in 32-bit mode.

BitPerfect: pretty good sound for it's price but on occasion the music starts stuttering. I try it again whenever there is an update though.

Audirvana: best overall I think, wider soundsatge, nicely clear and detailed.

Fidelia: my previous favorite, smoother sound than Audirvana which is quite pleasing to me actually. I loved their FHX headphone processing untill it got screwed up somewhere in the Beta. Today the first full release of the FHX processor came out, I bought it right away but it's still messed up. It used to give better positioning and made the mids a bit more prominent. Now it does exactly the opposite and actually messes up the soundstage completely.

I seem to have the same favorite player as Jmstrmbn but hear the opposite sound from the last two players.
My setup is iMac USB - Vaunix Lab Brick - Teac UD-H01 - Luxman P-1u or Zana Deux. 

May 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #1,299 of 3,495
Too bad about the distortion... it sounds like the output was overdriving the inputs on your pre/amp. 

Was thinking about trying the Vaunix on the supply side of the AP PurePower battery PS, so that the rest of the system--not just the clocks--was as clean as possible. Not sure if it would make a difference since the lil' hub I use (the newertechnology USB hub) is powered by the BPT 3.5 Signature Plus isolation transformer. I'm probably near diminishing returns... 

Quote:
For me I am still using BitPerfect, Audirvana Plus and Fidelia Advanced.

PureMusic: didn't like the interface at all and as said before I had quite heavy distortion, don't know what's the cause but I like stuff to work right out of the box. Didn't look into i t any further since I don't like the interface anyway.

My setup is iMac USB - Vaunix Lab Brick - Teac UD-H01 - Luxman P-1u or Zana Deux. 

May 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,300 of 3,495
Quote:
Too bad about the distortion... it sounds like the output was overdriving the inputs on your pre/amp. 

Was thinking about trying the Vaunix on the supply side of the AP PurePower battery PS, so that the rest of the system--not just the clocks--was as clean as possible. Not sure if it would make a difference since the lil' hub I use (the newertechnology USB hub) is powered by the BPT 3.5 Signature Plus isolation transformer. I'm probably near diminishing returns... 

I guess you are yes. TBH I don't hear a difference with or without the hub. I bought it because I had 2 dacs at that time + the SB Recon. It's pretty well built for a hub though.

May 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,301 of 3,495
Quote:
Amarra: no 64-bit support yet, seriously Sonic Studio? If I buy that and have to wait for a year every time a new version of OSX is out I'd go nuts. And no, I see no good reason why I should run my 64-bit iTunes in 32-bit mode.

Please do yourself a favour by running the Amarra in the independent mode (without iTunes) and add tracks to the Amarra playlist and play solely via Amarra itself.
bigsmile_face.gif

The sound far bests any other players I have - I have Audirvana Plus, Fidelia and Decibel and they cannot come close to the Amarra SQ when songs are played via the Amarra playlist.

When songs are played on Amarra with iTunes integration, the SQ takes a deep plunge.
With iTunes integration, I find Audirvana Plus to be better than Amarra but no way close to when Amarra is running independently.

A downside to the Amarra playlist is that it is still very clunky and slow. Lack of library management is a big minus as well. But they can be forgiven when music starts playing =)

May 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,302 of 3,495

No guarantee but it may be this...

Pure Music's volume control can increase signal output above 0db reference, which overloaded my Dac and caused distortion. Just set the volume to 0db and all will probably be well.

There's a toggle that limits peak output to 0db, which I use, problem solved permanently.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 3, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #1,303 of 3,495
Quote:
No guarantee but it may be this...
Pure Music's volume control can increase signal output above 0db reference, which overloaded my Dac and caused distortion. Just set the volume to 0db and all will probably be well.
There's a toggle that limits peak output to 0db, which I use, problem solved permanently.

I remember that slider yes. Is there any way to disable the volume control in Pure Music?

Quote:

Please do yourself a favour by running the Amarra in the independent mode (without iTunes) and add tracks to the Amarra playlist and play solely via Amarra itself.
bigsmile_face.gif

The sound far bests any other players I have - I have Audirvana Plus, Fidelia and Decibel and they cannot come close to the Amarra SQ when songs are played via the Amarra playlist.

When songs are played on Amarra with iTunes integration, the SQ takes a deep plunge.
With iTunes integration, I find Audirvana Plus to be better than Amarra but no way close to when Amarra is running independently.

A downside to the Amarra playlist is that it is still very clunky and slow. Lack of library management is a big minus as well. But they can be forgiven when music starts playing =)

I think only the full version has the playlist, not Amarra Mini?

May 3, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,304 of 3,495
Quote:
I think only the full version has the playlist, not Amarra Mini?

Never use the mini before but from the website it says that it has the playlist (Drag/Drop to playlist without iTunes)

Even the one in the screenshot shows the playlist function button (center button below the LED display):

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/amarramini.html

May 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,305 of 3,495
Quote:

I remember that slider yes. Is there any way to disable the volume control in Pure Music?

No idea what I did to do that. Nothing jumped out.  But just remember not to go over 0, and you are golden.  I upsample to 176.8 for all my lossless CDs and it's just amazing on a good DAC.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back