Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Feb 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #1,261 of 3,495
Hi all.  I've been following this thread and found it incredibly useful -- thanks to all!

In another thread, I just posted my impressions of using Pure Music + Redline Monitor to make an Audeze LCD2 sound like a Hifiman HE-500 (I think).  After posting that thread, I realized that this thread might have been a better home for it.  If anyone would be interested in looking at that thread and giving comments either there or here, that would be great.  I hope I'm not breaching protocol, I didn't want to just replicate those posts here..

The other thread is:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596408/audeze-lcd2-pure-music-redline-monitor-hifiman-he-500-sound#post_8154404
Looking forward to any comments..

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,262 of 3,495
I love Redline's Monitor Crossfeed plugin (though I use it with Fidelia). I can't speak to it making the LCD 2 sound like another pair of headphones (in my experience, it makes headphones all sound like themselves, only with crossfeed *shrug*). 

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,265 of 3,495

Quote:
Do I need the VST, DPM or Component plugin? For the DPM I don't even have the matching folder.
It would be for use with Fidelia, Audirvana Plus and iTunes or standalone. Whatever is possibble.
First time I use an audio plugin.  :)

I didn't have the DPM folder either, but copied both the VST and Component Redline plugins to their respective folders as indicated in the Redline dmg-mounted window.  It showed up in Pure Music.  Not sure about Fidelia but I think when I tried Fidelia some time ago (before I had Redline) it did find the Apple plugins, so hopefully it would find Redline as well.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,267 of 3,495
Redline is still using 32bit - so Fidelia doesn't see it (64 bit only in the beta). I am hoping they implement a bit bridge. The AU is what you would be looking for. 

I've been using Audio Hijack Pro to implement my plugins (since I use it for everything else anyway), rather than Fidelia's plug in rack. 

I find Redline's monitor to be much better than the Fidelia Headphones crossfeed (more natural), and much more intuitive than Isone Pro or Canz3D (which I never really found satisfactory settings for). 

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,268 of 3,495

Quote:
Hmmm, I guess Fidelia should be VST.
I can't find the plugin in Fidelia though, it only shows me Apple plugins when I click on the plugin buttons in the bottom.

Hmm, yes, I just tried with Fidelia again, and it didn't see Redline, although it does see the Apple plugins.  Not sure why it can't see Redline -- I'm not very experienced with plugins either.

Edit: I also tried using the VSTAU installer but that didn't enable Fidelia to see Redline either.  I did use VSTAU successfully to install Isone Pro (now TB Isone).

About the VSTAU installer: does anyone know how download it from google code?  I tried repeatedly, but google code wouldn't let me log in to download it.  I eventually used a cached copy I found elsewhere on the web.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,270 of 3,495
Redline is supposedly working on 64 bit versions, but one of their core team members died this year and put many projects behind. An email would probably be a good thing to remind them we want it. :)

I think a bit bridge in Fidelia is probably the better bet in the short term.

Another complicating factor - there is a rumor that apple will stop developing/supporting the Audio Unit component at some point... so the plugins world might get a bit crazy for a little while. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #1,272 of 3,495

Quote:
Redline is still using 32bit - so Fidelia doesn't see it (64 bit only in the beta). I am hoping they implement a bit bridge. The AU is what you would be looking for. 

I've been using Audio Hijack Pro to implement my plugins (since I use it for everything else anyway), rather than Fidelia's plug in rack. 

I find Redline's monitor to be much better than the Fidelia Headphones crossfeed (more natural), and much more intuitive than Isone Pro or Canz3D (which I never really found satisfactory settings for). 

+1 for preferring sound and intuitiveness of Redline over Isone Pro/TB Isone.  I did try using AHP + Redline but felt Pure Music worked better (some stuttering in AHP?)

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,273 of 3,495
Hmm - I've  never had any stuttering with Fidelia, AHP or any of my other sound programs (Soundbooth, ProTools, etc.), but I've never tried it with pure music... 

But I'm running a Mb Pro with the i7 and 8gb ram, so it tends to plug on through most things anyway... 

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,275 of 3,495

Quote:
I've twice has stuttering with Pure Music (trial). If they can't get a simple thing like that right, it didn't seem worth troubleshooting. Delete. 

Interesting.  I've had PM (trial) running fine on one computer.  Today (since my last post) I installed on another computer (trial again) and got stuttering.  The I realized I was using the Anwida EQ that comes bundled with PM.  I turned it off, and used Apple's Graphic EQ instead, and no stuttering since then.

Quote:
Hmm - I've  never had any stuttering with Fidelia, AHP or any of my other sound programs (Soundbooth, ProTools, etc.), but I've never tried it with pure music... 

But I'm running a Mb Pro with the i7 and 8gb ram, so it tends to plug on through most things anyway... 

My MBP config is actually identical to that.  Not sure why AHP was stuttering for me.  I'll try again.  I'd be interested in your opinion of PureMusic + Redline if you feel inclined to try the PM demo version.  (As you have AHP, you probably wouldn't buy PM, so I realize it may not make sense for you to even trial it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back