Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
May 30, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,321 of 3,495
Quote:
I downloaded the new 2.4 version a few weeks ago and it works while iTunes is running in 64-bits now.
The SQ is indeed really good though I haven't done any real comparing lately.
I like it's versatility of iTunes integration or playlist and the ability to play and convert from and to FLAC.
I got the new version of Amarra at $200 by the way, with two extra seats at $60.
I'm pretty happy with my purchase and only hope they'll have fast upgrades when a new OS comes out and they'll develop a 64-bit version of Amarra as well in the future.

Amarra full version at $200!! *bangs head against wall*

I love iTunes integration but I don't find its SQ anywhere near fantastic. That is after you have heard it in the independent mode.

I agree that practically, it is a painful way to listen to music, which is why I use Audirvana Plus more often when I am lazy. Lol.

May 30, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,322 of 3,495
Yep, you now have Amarra Hifi at $49, Amarra at $189 (for one license, add $60 per extra license) and Amarra Symphony at $495 with 2 licenses included and some extra EQ or meters I don't need. You can upgrade for free to the latter one I think. The last two versions all have up to 384k.

It's great though to have both iTunes integration and the playlist in one app. One for casual listening, one for serious listening. I'll try to compare the three apps a bit in a week or two over the weekend.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #1,323 of 3,495
I'm currently evaluating the trial version of Fidelia vs the Amarra setup I bought a couple of moths ago (Thankfully I got the Mini version on a promotion rate and then was able to upgrade to full Amarra when they changed their pricing!)

What has attracted me to Fidelia is the FHX feature for headphone listening and after much time comparing was finding that I was leaning towards Fidelia with FHX enabled as my favourite when compared to Amarra. Part of me was in denial about that as I really don't want to spend another at $70 (20 for the basic plus 50 for the FHX option).

So I thought I'd enlist my wife to help me out and had her listen to both the Amarra and the Fidelia.  Interestingly the first words out of her  mouth were, "This sounds just like your old stereo room" when listening to the FHX enabled Fidelia. (I  sold all my gear as we recently moved out of the country) She definitely preferred the Fidelia with FHXnwhen it came to the emotional impact of the music. She basically confirmed my own feelings without any bias as she didn't even know what she was comparing.

Related equipment is MAC Book Air, M2Tech Hiface 2, Red Wine Isabellina with pro DAC and balanced out, LCD-2 Headphones. Files were Apple Lossless 44/16...

I am only able to evaluate these players for headphone listening so cannot offer any comments re speakers.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,324 of 3,495
Amarra 2.4 sounds great - my Macbook Pro > Optical > Pefectwave DAC is now pretty close in sound to the NAS > Bridge > Perfectwave DAC.  As before, some songs or material responds better to Amarra than others, but overall I'm impressed.

Jun 5, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #1,326 of 3,495
Quote:
Why not via USB? Might beat the bridge.

My USB Cable might be bad, but I was getting no sound from it - I haven't used USB in like a year.  Blutarsky was over visiting to listen to my KGBH > SR-009 and I had to get something working right away for him, before he left for Washington DC. So we switched to optical.  Plus, mine is a Mk1 and if I'm reading things correctly, people feel that Mk2 USB is better?  I can't upgrade it for another couple of months (college tuition is kicking my butt).  

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #1,327 of 3,495
Wasn't the MkI 96/24 USB and the new one 192/24? Don't remember anymore, it has been a while since I had one. I bought it for streaming via the Bridge as Alac compatibility was promised but never came so I sold it.
For the rest I have only used my Dacs via USB. From what I read this should be the best connection method.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,328 of 3,495
Just a quick note, the addition of direct mode (albeit still in beta form) has prompted me to give Audirvana another shot.  Without direct enabled, I prefer both Amarra (in playlist) and Pure Music. (integer mode)  With direct mode, Audirvana beats both of them in terms of instrument separation and soundstaging.  I've been using Audirvana Plus with direct/integer/memory for the majority of my listening over the past week and switching back to either Amarra or PM causes a noticeable loss in overall clarity.  I do still have an affection for Amarra's warmth, but Audirvana's other sonic advantages combined with much better functionality means that it's quickly becoming my primary music player.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,329 of 3,495
Quote:
I do still have an affection for Amarra's warmth, but Audirvana's other sonic advantages combined with much better functionality means that it's quickly becoming my primary music player.

The Audirvana Plus can sound as warm (if not warmer) with the appropriate audio filtering settings.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #1,330 of 3,495
Quote:

The Audirvana Plus can sound as warm (if not warmer) with the appropriate audio filtering settings.

Interesting.  I can't say that I've ever dug into that portion of the settings.  Since I've found that these types of "enhancements" can often do more harm than good in these software-based players, do you have any recommendations?

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,331 of 3,495
Quote:
Just a quick note, the addition of direct mode (albeit still in beta form) has prompted me to give Audirvana another shot.  Without direct enabled, I prefer both Amarra (in playlist) and Pure Music. (integer mode)  With direct mode, Audirvana beats both of them in terms of instrument separation and soundstaging.  I've been using Audirvana Plus with direct/integer/memory for the majority of my listening over the past week and switching back to either Amarra or PM causes a noticeable loss in overall clarity.  I do still have an affection for Amarra's warmth, but Audirvana's other sonic advantages combined with much better functionality means that it's quickly becoming my primary music player.

Your post has prompted me to try it again as well. Thanks. One of the benefits of a new computer is I can restart the trial period as mine had expired. I'm currently in the process of evaluating Fidelia with the FHX headphone processing as well, something I've come to enjoy quite a lot compared to Amarra, which i currently own. 

I do quite like the direct mode and agree with your comments re sound staging, which was also one of the things I liked about Fidelia with FHX enabled. I currently own Amarra so I keep wanting to like it more, but I am drawn to Fidelia for the headphone processing as it seems more natural and Audirvana has now earned a spot in the evaluation with direct mode. Thanks for the tip. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,332 of 3,495
Quote:
Your post has prompted me to try it again as well. Thanks. One of the benefits of a new computer is I can restart the trial period as mine had expired. I'm currently in the process of evaluating Fidelia with the FHX headphone processing as well, something I've come to enjoy quite a lot compared to Amarra, which i currently own. 

I do quite like the direct mode and agree with your comments re sound staging, which was also one of the things I liked about Fidelia with FHX enabled. I currently own Amarra so I keep wanting to like it more, but I am drawn to Fidelia for the headphone processing as it seems more natural and Audirvana has now earned a spot in the evaluation with direct mode. Thanks for the tip. 

I've also been tinkering with Fidelia since they've introduced the FHX processing.  It's plenty competent without it enabled utilizing exclusive/hog mode and memory playback, and an audible step up from previous versions that I found to sound too... digital. (best way that I could describe it)  However, I admittedly couldn't settings with FHX that I found pleasing and the way that it cuts a track short that has near-silence at the end can be intrusive to the flow of an album.  Any settings to share that you found particularly pleasing with FHX?

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,333 of 3,495
Quote:
Interesting.  I can't say that I've ever dug into that portion of the settings.  Since I've found that these types of "enhancements" can often do more harm than good in these software-based players, do you have any recommendations?

You can explore around when you are free. =)

Oh a side note, thanks to your information I have just updated my Audirvana Plus to the beta version with direct mode and I have to agree that it indeed sounded great! Not sure if it is placebo but whatever it is, it sounds great and that is what that matters.

Been wanting to try out Fidelia with FHX but it is pretty costly.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #1,334 of 3,495
Quote:

I've also been tinkering with Fidelia since they've introduced the FHX processing.  It's plenty competent without it enabled utilizing exclusive/hog mode and memory playback, and an audible step up from previous versions that I found to sound too... digital. (best way that I could describe it)  However, I admittedly couldn't settings with FHX that I found pleasing and the way that it cuts a track short that has near-silence at the end can be intrusive to the flow of an album.  Any settings to share that you found particularly pleasing with FHX?

I'm using these setting, speaker angle 3degrees and amount of 50%.  I haven't changed the bass or treble settings at all. The jury is still out as to which I prefer.  I did have my wife try it as well and her reaction was that the Fidelia FHX sounded more like listening to my old stereo system with speakers. I'm really liking the Audirvana with the Direct and Integer modes enables with my Hiface 2. With some recordings I do find the Fidelia seems a little laid back but I think that's a result of the headphone processing creating a more open sound field. For me right now it seems to be music dependent as to which I prefer (I also own Amarra), although I could live with and enjoy any one of these processors. How's that for a committed answer.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back