Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Sep 10, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #3,076 of 3,495

I promise you that no one can tell the difference between WAV and AIFF, short of some serious software issue.

AIFF is basically WAV, but with provisions for meta data and is typically big endian, where WAV is little endian. So on an Intel/AMD system, that means a simple byte swap, which computers can do really, really, really efficiently. The CPU utilization difference on a modern computer would be immeasurable, as a practical matter.

Apple has a little endian version of AIFF, if you convert/rip with iTunes; in that case there isn't even the byte-swap, so it's nothing-ball.

People who hear more "air between the instruments", when comparing AIFF and WAV and smoking something.

I appreciate the technical information you present and have no opinion on whether objectively WAV files and AIFF files created and listened with identical hardware and software can sound differently. However, since this a hobby that is meant to provide us with pleasure, etc. if people believe one format is better for them than the other then good for them. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,077 of 3,495

I appreciate the technical information you present and have no opinion on whether objectively WAV files and AIFF files created and listened with identical hardware and software can sound differently. However, since this a hobby that is meant to provide us with pleasure, etc. if people believe one format is better for them than the other then good for them

Of course; apologies. Have fun. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,084 of 3,495
Did the same comparison as before with Audirvana Plus, but with different DAC/pre-amp and monitors. Only WAV and FLAC (compressed) though.

Setup: Audirvana Plus -> Emotiva Stealth DC-1 -> Mackie HR 824 Mk1

DIsclaimer: Not a blind test as before. Just my own listening and switching back and forth (sister not available this time)

Results held up, FWIW. YMMV.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #3,085 of 3,495
  DIsclaimer: Not a blind test as before. Just my own listening and switching back and forth (sister not available this time)

Unsub'd.

Sep 12, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #3,086 of 3,495

Audirvana v2.2.1 update  is online now. Even better "improved" SQ according to the makers….

Maybe I'm missing something, but this release, according to the notes, is all about library no SQ, no mention of SQ I can find, where are you seeing it?

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #3,089 of 3,495
I don't like the new embedded number of albums, total play time in days/hours/minutes below the volume slider.
Useless information that clutters the top bar.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #3,090 of 3,495

Audirvana v2.2.1 update  is online now. Even better "improved" SQ according to the makers….

Must have been something wrong. Version 2.2.2 was released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back