Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Feb 14, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #2,686 of 3,495
I have a detailed set of notes in Evernote I've been compiling :L3000:  ... we will have to sync-up next weekend, if you can make it.
That's my plan sir. Have a great St. Valentines Day!

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #2,687 of 3,495
Feb 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #2,689 of 3,495
Does anyone still use Audirvana Plus?
If not, what is the newest best alternative?

I Love Audirvana Plus.. just wondering
I use A+ and I think it's the best compliment to my present system right now. I like the way A+ represents the acoustic elements in a jazz combo, specifically the decay of the drummers cymbals splashes and the sound of a grand piano.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2,690 of 3,495
Does A+ sound better than other players?

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,691 of 3,495
Does A+ sound better than other players?

IMHO, your experience may vary though, you can download trials of most of the music players out there so you can choose your favourite..

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #2,692 of 3,495
I believe A+ relies on an iTunes library which I don't have so I can't test it. I thought all bit-perfect players sounded the same.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,694 of 3,495

A+ has nothing to do with iTunes, although it gives you the option to integrate your iTunes library, which I do not do.

In that case I'm downloading now.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #2,695 of 3,495
Amarra killed Audirvana in transparency. Although I have been hearing great things about 2.0.9 and will try to see how it racks against Amarra 3.0

With the hd800, Amarra pushes the most air and resolution. While audirvana thickens up the vocals and takes the edge off all the music. Less resolution and fatter bass. Audirvana is also more suited for less than ideal recordings or formats.

There's definitely a need for both players in my setup, but I ultimately prefer Amarra.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,696 of 3,495
Amarra killed Audirvana in transparency. Although I have been hearing great things about 2.0.9 and will try to see how it racks against Amarra 3.0

With the hd800, Amarra pushes the most air and resolution. While audirvana thickens up the vocals and takes the edge off all the music. Less resolution and fatter bass. Audirvana is also more suited for less than ideal recordings or formats.

There's definitely a need for both players in my setup, but I ultimately prefer Amarra.

That's good to know.  I am about to start experimenting with Audirvana and Amarra to see if either or both are a significant improvement over Fidelia, which I started using several years ago soon after it came out, but then stopped following the developments in players.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #2,697 of 3,495
I guess I'll need to check out Amarra as well. Audirvana is still reading my music folder, very, very, slowly.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,698 of 3,495
If you're checking out Amarra, make sure you do the following to hear it at it's best. Open Amarra and go to "Preferences". This should open a window. Click the "Optimize" button. Next, click "disable all." This action will require you to put in your operating password. This script will take a few seconds to take place. Next, restart your computer and re-open Amarra. Then simply load music and play. The restart is very crucial as during the restart a lot of the sound benefits and scripts take place. I highly recommend everyone to demo Amarra in it's best form.

Amarra 3.0 -> Preferences -> Optimize -> Disable All - > Let the action take place -> Restart computer -> Open Amarra -> Get blown away

Additionally, running this setting will also help Audirvana Plus, but not as much as what Amarra extracts.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #2,699 of 3,495
Does Amarra have a view where I can see the folder structure? If it doesn't then it's a big fat fail. Audirvana doesn't either so it's a fail too. It's a shame because I did like the sound of it.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #2,700 of 3,495
I just drop and drag folders into Amarra whenever I use it like with Audirvana 1.5.X series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back