Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Dec 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2,566 of 3,495
I installed it too this afternoon. Exactly what progress did you notice?

I didn't notice anything, yet. I was looking at the release notes and was just glad that some things were fixed. I'll see if it fixed any of my issues. I'm just thinking that it's "progress" in that if my issues aren't fixed, maybe they will be soon. :)

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #2,567 of 3,495
^^^ I didn't notice any discernable improvement over the last version either. My relationship with Audirvana has gone from excitement and frustration to wanting this piece of audio software to just kinda work maybe sometimes.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2,568 of 3,495
2.0.7 is mainly functional fixes to the library management and the UI
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-2-0-a-21673/index64.html#post375573

Add rating and album rating as criteria for smart playlists
Read/write InfoTags in WAV files
Read/write ID3v2 tags in FLAC files when the standard XiphComment tags are not present
Add album artists in the fields searched when using "All" criteria in the search field in tracks list view
Add switch to Library mode in scripting interface
Add title as 3rd sort criteria (after disc and track number) for tracks sorting inside an album (helps with files missing track number metadata)
Delete key can be used to delete the selected playlist or folder
Creating a folder or playlist triggers editing its name (no need to explicitly click on rename just after)
Bug fixes:
Fix wrong formatting of duration criteria in smart playlist editor on some systems
Fix 00:00 duration on some tracks with unreadable metadata
Fix inability to read some DFF files
Fix duplicate tracks appearing sometimes after having renamed a synched folder

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2,569 of 3,495
I'm a Mac user and I love the A+ simplicity but as recent posters have said, v2 is buggy. Just updated this morning and, well, my FLAC songs sounded like it was recorded with a smartphone in a noisy night club. Switched over to my JRiver MC 20 and much as I hate its complexity, it worked fine.

A+ 1.5 was great, I never needed the library function, and I wasted my money upgrading. Improvements (library etc) be damned if it is so buggy.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #2,570 of 3,495

+1 ... I had to give up using it with a headless Mac Mini in my 2-channel system (went back to BitPerfect, which has its own issues, but is very robust).

Well, I'm eating my words here... I'm back to A+ with the headless Mac Mini. BitPerfect has a problem reconnecting to the DAC if you play iTunes after powering down the DAC (think: power off the DAC without first pausing iTunes and/or un-pausing / playing iTunes before powering-on the DAC). In these cases, you have to remote screen into your Mac and fix things. With A+, it will re-connect to the preferred DAC in the use cases above, without remote screening into the Mac.

There is another cool feature of A+: you can set the delay for switching sample rates. My 2-channel system's DAC (NAD D 1050) takes some time to switch sample rates, which under BitPerfect causes cropping of the beginning of the track. With A+, I can set the delay to 1.5 sec, for example, and it's all good.

Let's hope 2.0.6 "...makes some progress..." on the suspected memory leak issue 
popcorn.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,571 of 3,495
2.0.7 is mainly functional fixes to the library management and the UI
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-2-0-a-21673/index64.html#post375573

Add rating and album rating as criteria for smart playlists
Read/write InfoTags in WAV files
Read/write ID3v2 tags in FLAC files when the standard XiphComment tags are not present
Add album artists in the fields searched when using "All" criteria in the search field in tracks list view
Add switch to Library mode in scripting interface
Add title as 3rd sort criteria (after disc and track number) for tracks sorting inside an album (helps with files missing track number metadata)
Delete key can be used to delete the selected playlist or folder
Creating a folder or playlist triggers editing its name (no need to explicitly click on rename just after)
Bug fixes:
Fix wrong formatting of duration criteria in smart playlist editor on some systems
Fix 00:00 duration on some tracks with unreadable metadata
Fix inability to read some DFF files
Fix duplicate tracks appearing sometimes after having renamed a synched folder

I wouldn't mind some of the "library" functions working. I just selected "repeat" because I wanted to end the evening on that particular song, again. Nope, it continued to the next song in the library. Grr.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #2,574 of 3,495
  Anyone try Bitperfect, or  the variation GeekPerfect Playback Software?

It's nice and for $10 US (or whatever is it now, an incredible value).

I bought Bitperfect  - it's very convenient if you use iTunes for most of your listening. However I still think that Audirvana and Amarra ar better sounding Players.

I really want to believe that is true, as a part-time subjectivist, but as a software engineer I am struggling to understand how that can be. These players all playback from memory, avoiding disc/network processing or delays, and they all feed modern DACs using a direct/integer mode, bypassing the operating system's audio processing layers and with no conversion to floating point math.

Unless DACs have sensitivity to how data is pushed into I/O buffers, I am dying to know these players can sound different from one another (assuming no forced up-sampling).

Not trolling; curious.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,575 of 3,495
Comparing standard players like VLC, Decibel, Amarra, Audirvana; I found that Audirvana has the most unique sound among them all. It's laid back with an intimate soundstage where you get a 1-on-1 with the singer. Amarra is more like the stock players, such as VLC - closest to neutral. However, Amarra just takes it to a whole another level with it's sound engine. Audirvana works really well for bright systems or if they're lacking in the mids though. Super useful for studying without being disturbing.

Might get a mic and try to get room calibration going to see if I can push Amarra further.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,577 of 3,495
  Will Audirvana sync playlists with my iPhone? If not, what program would you recommend that could do this?  So far I've only come across J River Media Center and Media Monkey.

How about iTunes? Seriously, you can run A+ in iTunes integration mode and use iTunes itself to sync to your phone.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #2,578 of 3,495
i just came from listening to an expensive dac amp setup....v impressed;
came home, unhooked  ITUNEs from Audirvana2....wow that (same?) clarity,
totally killed the urge to upgrade my dac :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,579 of 3,495

How about iTunes? Seriously, you can run A+ in iTunes integration mode and use iTunes itself to sync to your phone.

Thanks, I'll try that.  A+ = Audirvana Plus?  The integration allows me to import flac into my library? And can I sync them on the fly?  

Sorry about all the questions.  Still new to mac and trying to figure everything out.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #2,580 of 3,495
  Thanks, I'll try that.  A+ = Audirvana Plus?  The integration allows me to import flac into my library? And can I sync them on the fly?  

Sorry about all the questions.  Still new to mac and trying to figure everything out.

Sorry... no, I must have missed the FLAC part in an earlier post. If you want to sync FLAC files to your iPhone, I recommend one of two approaches:

1. Install Google Play Music on your iPhone, sign-up for the free Google Play Music account and sync your FLAC tracks to the cloud; then, play them back as high-quality MP3/320 tracks and store your entire library in the cloud (you can "pin" playlists, albums, whatever, so they sync/cache permanently on your phone for off-line use); works and sounds great.

2. Download a program for your Mac called XLD (Google it...) and convert your FLAC files to ALAC, load into iTunes and, again, sync to your iPhone.

FWIW, I have a large collection (well, large for me is 13,000+ tracks) and I use option #1. I personally am finished 'syncing' anything to my devices and prefer to stream on-demand.

I can't recommend syncing / playing FLAC on your iPhone (or any iOS device); not saying it can't be done, but...

If you had an Android I could give you another alternative, that I personally use, but the above are my recommendations for iPhones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back