Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Sep 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,311 of 3,495
i reloaded the old Audi1.5 version + itune...gave it a listen over 3 test songs..
and again uploaded the audi2.0 + Itune and did the same.. 

my ear still telling me the newer version is CLEARER even with ITUNEs...
it was almost immediately CLEARER...by a good margin.
( i dunno whats going on technically inside my laptop...some kind of synergy with the 2.0..???  but i am NOT complaining :p )

On one track...the DT770drivers literally reverberated more actively ..catching my attention. Nice. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,312 of 3,495
I'm going to upgrade, if only to support these guys, but I should also drop a few requests since they seem to follow this thread...

Requests for Audirvana:

1) New Audio Features: It would be nice to see Audirvana add some new sound processing and mixing features, such as adding crossfade (this is great for some kinds of recordings), ability to tweak phase lag and amplitude in the EQ settings (i.e., the full transfer function), etc..

2) Remote App: Controlling one's home iTunes system with the Remote app via iPhone or iPad is a true delight, would love to see an Audirvana Remote app. Until this happens, many of us are chained by convenience to the iTunes interface.

3) iDevice Player: Any chance we could see an izotope-based player implemented in iOS, or is the softward/hardware overhead/limitations simply too much to make it worthwhile? I know people would pay a lot for this, it could become Audirvana's biggest money maker.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,313 of 3,495
Clementine does the trick just fine. Finally my MacBook and Mac Mini will have synced music libraries using Dropbox.

How are you doing that without a lot of sync conflicts? Or, are you sure only one instance of iTunes is running at a time?

Just curious...

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2,315 of 3,495
Regarding Amarra 3.0 and gapless playback in direct mode. I think there is a very, very little break between the songs. I checked the pre-load button as well. Honestly, it's a non factor for the first time.

Also, when you "disable all" under Amarra's System Optimizer, make sure you run the script and then restart your computer and open Amarra and run it normally. I think the restart makes an important difference in SQ. I would love to hear someone else try this and see if it makes any difference on their system.

Amarra (Symphony) 3.0 -> Preferences -> Optimize -> Disable All -> Restart computer -> Resume as normal -> Success.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #2,316 of 3,495
I was at a meet recently, players that I've tried were Foobar and JRiver, so adding that to my previous experience of Bitrate and Puremusic, out of those Amarra 3.02 is still the best, but a discounted price is the only way I would do it.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #2,317 of 3,495
I've used Fidelia basic for about 3 months now and can definitely hear an improvement over iTunes. I was thinking of spending the extra $50 for the plug in that lets you adjust speaker angle, etc, which I'm guessing is to try and simulate a binaural recording. But you guys have me curious about Audirvana. For those that have tried both, should I get the Fidelia plug in or jump to Audirvana? Which will give me the most improvement for the $$ ?

Thanks,

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,318 of 3,495
  I've used Fidelia basic for about 3 months now and can definitely hear an improvement over iTunes. I was thinking of spending the extra $50 for the plug in that lets you adjust speaker angle, etc, which I'm guessing is to try and simulate a binaural recording. But you guys have me curious about Audirvana. For those that have tried both, should I get the Fidelia plug in or jump to Audirvana? Which will give me the most improvement for the $$ ?

Thanks,

You can try Audirvana for free, download a trial copy

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #2,319 of 3,495

Thanks,

I have Fidelia and Audirvana.  IMHO Audirvana is the better player.  I have far fewer issues with Audirvana and the sound is better too, I believe due to Integer/Direct Mode.  I don't have the headphone effect for Fidelia so that may be a selling point for you.  I would definitely recommend downloading the trial and comparing the two.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #2,321 of 3,495
For anyone on this thread try out all the players for free Amarra, Puremusic, Fidelia, and Audirvana.  

That could work out to at least two months of audio players for free, why not? 
And don't forget to try JRiver 20 Media Center. The sound I believe is improved from their version 19 and the user interface is the best of the rest.

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #2,324 of 3,495

Users who are viewing this thread

Back