Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Mar 14, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #361 of 3,495
Audirvana! is pretty cool. I think I'd like it more if I could access my iTunes library and playlists like I can in Fidelia.

Sounds great, though.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #364 of 3,495
I might have to try Audirvana as well for the occasional FLAC files that I listen to on my Mac.

Quote:
No need a for a blind test. Toslink via a macbook is a very high jitter connection and the DAC (even with a clock) will not be able to handle the connection without major sound degradation. There's a night and day difference between Toslink and a low jitter USB converter.

Quote:
This is your opinion on Toslink, it's not a "fact," and you are in fact wrong in that Toslink jitter can be reduced just as well as USB, and many products exist to do this.  

I have tried optical through a coax converter with it's own jitter clock with a couple of different DACs and had very different results. On one it made a very audible improvement and on the one with an excellent jitter re-clocking system of it's own not so much. So I would agree that it really depends on the DAC's individual capabilities.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #365 of 3,495
Looks like they have vastly improved the UI for Audirvana, so I might have to give it another go.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #367 of 3,495
Unfortunately, I can't get Audirvana…only runs on Mac OS 10.6. Oh, well…

I should add that Ecoute's social-media initiatives aren't really available yet, which is making it kinda useless to me.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #368 of 3,495
I really liked Audirvana's sound too but still had issues with it.  Main thing is it doesn't do perfect gapless on my system.  I hear when tracks change.  It also forces midi to 24 bit.  So if you use it and then go back and try you other players, they may not sound as good as you remember.  Decibel sounds best in 16 bit on my system and I think it ends up sounding better than Audirvana in the end.  Audirvana sounds a little more open but I find myself enjoying my music and listening longer when I use Decibel.  It's also the only one I haven't have any bugs with.  Amarra is the worst, Fidelia doesn't even open anymore, Audivrana has occasional skips, and Pure Music acts weird if you play around with iTunes menu. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #369 of 3,495

Quote:
I really liked Audirvana's sound too but still had issues with it.  Main thing is it doesn't do perfect gapless on my system.  I hear when tracks change.  It also forces midi to 24 bit.  So if you use it and then go back and try you other players, they may not sound as good as you remember.  Decibel sounds best in 16 bit on my system and I think it ends up sounding better than Audirvana in the end.  Audirvana sounds a little more open but I find myself enjoying my music and listening longer when I use Decibel.  It's also the only one I haven't have any bugs with.  Amarra is the worst, Fidelia doesn't even open anymore, Audivrana has occasional skips, and Pure Music acts weird if you play around with iTunes menu. 

Hmm the previous version of audirvana does force midi to be set to 24bit but the latest version doesn't. I have mine playing at 16bit.
What is the spec of your mac? I am using macbook pro and I get gapless play too.

Hope that you will be able to fix those bugs and enjoy audirvana because it triumphs decibel on my system!

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #370 of 3,495
Audirvana forces my MIDI to 32-bit, which totally messes up the audio for any other player and the system, and only a PRAM reset/restart fixes it.  There is still no search box for long playlists.  Otherwise, the developer is making regular updates so far...  Can't really say "trumps" the other player though.  They each sound good albeit perhaps just slightly different.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #371 of 3,495

Quote:
Hmm the previous version of audirvana does force midi to be set to 24bit but the latest version doesn't. I have mine playing at 16bit.
What is the spec of your mac? I am using macbook pro and I get gapless play too.

Hope that you will be able to fix those bugs and enjoy audirvana because it triumphs decibel on my system!

I think the midi setting depends on what DAC you use and how it's hooked up.  I use mine thru optical.  I get gapless with Audirvana but there is this micro-gap that you can barely hear.  It's the same way on Amarra.  With Decibel and Pure Music, gapless is perfect.  I like Decibel's method better than Pure Music for achieving gapless. Pure Music loads entire album into memory while I think Decibel only had up 2 tracks loaded at any time.  

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #372 of 3,495
I'm in the process of upgrading my older generation iMac (G5 w/2GB), so take this with a grain of salt. Once I get my new MacBook Pro, I'll test it again.

Does PM load the entire folder for a given album? Presently, while playing my FLAC media -- running PM in hog/hybrid/memory mode -- it starts the next track gapless while loading the rest of the track into memory. However, it does this one track at a time. Is this maybe the result of my limited memory model? What is your experience with more memory?  
Quote:
I think the midi setting depends on what DAC you use and how it's hooked up.  I use mine thru optical.  I get gapless with Audirvana but there is this micro-gap that you can barely hear.  It's the same way on Amarra.  With Decibel and Pure Music, gapless is perfect.  I like Decibel's method better than Pure Music for achieving gapless. Pure Music loads entire album into memory while I think Decibel only had up 2 tracks loaded at any time.  

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #373 of 3,495

Quote:
I'm in the process of upgrading my older generation iMac (G5 w/2GB), so take this with a grain of salt. Once I get my new MacBook Pro, I'll test it again.

Does PM load the entire folder for a given album? Presently, while playing my FLAC media -- running PM in hog/hybrid/memory mode -- it starts the next track gapless while loading the rest of the track into memory. However, it does this one track at a time. Is this maybe the result of my limited memory model? What is your experience with more memory?  

Pure Music will load entire album only if gapless is checked within iTunes settings for each album.  Otherwise it loads one track at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back