M8 Discontinued and what’s coming next? - Shanling M9 Announced
Aug 12, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #76 of 107
You think Sony would sell more WM1Z and DMP-Z1 had they gave them streaming functionality?
They have Bluetooth ldac for this

@Shanling
So technically M9 will sound like M8? Will there be new sound engineering like fgpa chips ?

Will spotify work properly now? And with google play store available as default and fully functional apps? We had a lot of problems with M8 with that and this is what made me leave the m8 saga 😢

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #77 of 107
You think Sony would sell more WM1Z and DMP-Z1 had they gave them streaming functionality?
This thing about today, not everyone has a vast library of owned music. I've had a Tidal subscription since 2018. Over the years I've purchased FLAC albums, but still use Tidal for albums that I like but not enough to want to purchase, new playlists, new artists, trying new music, old music and expanding the artists and genres I listen too.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #78 of 107
Update of M5s, as in new simple Music device without Android and streaming? Unfortunately it seems nobody cares about these anymore (and sales numbers shows that).
Actually there are still many people like simple music device without Android and streaming. Brands provide devices with streaming are trying to keep up with Apple music, we all know that.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #79 of 107
Actually there are still many people like simple music device without Android and streaming. Brands provide devices with streaming are trying to keep up with Apple music, we all know that.
I'm sure there are people that would be happy with a single player without Android and Streaming. But demands from our distributors don't show that.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #80 of 107
They have Bluetooth ldac for this

@Shanling
So technically M9 will sound like M8? Will there be new sound engineering like fgpa chips ?

Will spotify work properly now? And with google play store available as default and fully functional apps? We had a lot of problems with M8 with that and this is what made me leave the m8 saga 😢
Will see how will be the final sound, we hope to improve upon M8.

Brand new system and hardware, so the performance is expected to be better.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #81 of 107
I prefer Quboz. I don't buy flac's or have any in my Storage. What I prefer for the UI and the Performance of the Players are modern Smartphone CPUs and not Chips where up to Date Years ago. When i pay an high Amount i expect an Premium Product with no Flaws. Currently i see on the Market a lot Players but they are often not flawless especially when you look how Android runs. I expect a Design that doesn't look like a Brick. I hear very often that the build Quality is outstanding, but in my Opinion it is not. A lot cheap Plastic or bad processed Metalframes. The Sound Quality is usually good for these Players, but Update Policy for Android is sometimes a Joke.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #82 of 107
I prefer Quboz. I don't buy flac's or have any in my Storage. What I prefer for the UI and the Performance of the Players are modern Smartphone CPUs and not Chips where up to Date Years ago. When i pay an high Amount i expect an Premium Product with no Flaws. Currently i see on the Market a lot Players but they are often not flawless especially when you look how Android runs. I expect a Design that doesn't look like a Brick. I hear very often that the build Quality is outstanding, but in my Opinion it is not. A lot cheap Plastic or bad processed Metalframes. The Sound Quality is usually good for these Players, but Update Policy for Android is sometimes a Joke.
I understand your point, but the part that is most difficult is expecting Android updates like in phones. Besides the SOC which can be dependent on different Android versions, bypassing Android Sample Rate Conversion isn't simply plug and play with every new Android system update. That in itself can be a major hindrance to adopted the newest Android OS depending on the different security in the OS and the amity to bypass the way the audio chain is implemented. Also, a higher end SOC is also going to increaE the cost of the device. Newer Android OS requires better SOC, and the DAP already has expensive audio components.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #83 of 107
I understand your point, but the part that is most difficult is expecting Android updates like in phones. Besides the SOC which can be dependent on different Android versions, bypassing Android Sample Rate Conversion isn't simply plug and play with every new Android system update. That in itself can be a major hindrance to adopted the newest Android OS depending on the different security in the OS and the amity to bypass the way the audio chain is implemented. Also, a higher end SOC is also going to increaE the cost of the device. Newer Android OS requires better SOC, and the DAP already has expensive audio components.
For sure they are more expensive audio Chips and Parts in an DAP and the doesn't produce the same Amout of Devices but on the other Side my DAP had a Price oft 3500$ and the UI has a Performance like an 100$ Smartphone from Amazon and the Metalframe ( I Analyse that from the Standpoint as an Watchcollector) has the shape of an 50$ replica Watch from Thailand. And some Things are easy to solve like the Metalframe.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #84 of 107
i think people who doesn’t care much about streaming can still be satisfying with M8, fast enough and sound good enough for it compact form. Unless there is some ground breaking development in the M9, especially the power supplies or the in house grown I/V stage
Additionally with Shanling respond, I don’t think anyone should feel antsy just because Shanling is trying to keep up with streaming compatibility

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #88 of 107
i think people who doesn’t care much about streaming can still be satisfying with M8, fast enough and sound good enough for it compact form. Unless there is some ground breaking development in the M9, especially the power supplies or the in house grown I/V stage
Additionally with Shanling respond, I don’t think anyone should feel antsy just because Shanling is trying to keep up with streaming compatibility
Streaming is getting good enough for high end daps. I actually move to streaming just this year and i cant complain at all. Apart from the fact that you dont really own any material from library..

Its still music at the end of day. Screw it even Bluetooth makes sense as an option in a dap.even if i personally dont care about it.

Making daps with screens just to screw around in social media or watch tv on them would not even be my problem if some care about it.
But when this kind of feature renders dap unusable for its purpose as being portable by becoming a size of a microwave because it need 32" screen on it. That is what i dont understand.
But If that size is required to scamp audio hardware... Well then i need my jeans 2 sizes bigger soon.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #89 of 107
Hi @Shanling what is the new enclosure of the dap it seems to be brass? As its so shiny

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #90 of 107
Streaming is getting good enough for high end daps. I actually move to streaming just this year and i cant complain at all. Apart from the fact that you dont really own any material from library..

Its still music at the end of day. Screw it even Bluetooth makes sense as an option in a dap.even if i personally dont care about it.

Making daps with screens just to screw around in social media or watch tv on them would not even be my problem if some care about it.
But when this kind of feature renders dap unusable for its purpose as being portable by becoming a size of a microwave because it need 32" screen on it. That is what i dont understand.
But If that size is required to scamp audio hardware... Well then i need my jeans 2 sizes bigger soon.
My biggest problem with streaming is the lack of music. Only about 1 in five songs I have in my local library can be found on streaming platforms. Not all good music are being taken care of by their right holders. Having the possibility to missing out on good music is too much of a risk for me to commit to streaming. Today I'm still doing discogs+ripping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back