m50's vs studio beats
Feb 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
Still doesn't make ANY sense going for Beats if only caring about getting bass, then XB500 would make so much more sense at $50 which deliver both more and better quality.

I haven't heard those, so I couldn't make any more comments or suggestions than I have. Might be worth it for the OP to investigate them though. My first post in here was just giving him an answer between the M50's and Beats. I'm sure there's something better than both for the money if you just want bass. 

The thing I love about this whole headphone hobby is that there's something for everybody in every price range. I must note also, that, in my opinion, the ~$300 range that the Beats are in is really the sweet spot to find really great cans. Best "bang for the buck" price point I've found, and I agree with most that the Beats really don't belong in that price bracket; however, if the OP can get the Beats for the price of the M50's, then I would get the Beats over the M50.

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #32 of 40
The M50s are more accurate and have tighter bass response, mids and highs. I owned the M50s for some time and even compared them to my coworkers Beats. The Beats look cool and are compact, but the sound is terrible. The bass really drowns out everything and they have to be seriously equed to tighten it all up. The M50s are a wonderous fluke in the market. How can such a low priced headphone be so good? I would buy an M50 and then get a used HD650 (or 600 if you want more brightness) from someone here. You are set.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #36 of 40
Interesting timing on this post as I just did a comparison today.  There is a co-op student on the floor that I work that I see every day with his beat cans, and I've asked him a few times to drop by my desk to do a quick A/B with my m50s (and PA2V2 amp).  Well, today was the day, and after about 15 mins he was sold.  His first words were "Geez, these sound really good".  His next comment was "You paid how much for these?!?".  Up here in Canada, with shipping, the m50s are close to a 3rd of the price. 

On the bright side, he said he should be able to sell his Beats for not much less than he paid.  Even with the headphone amp, he is still paying less for far superior sound.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #38 of 40
You are right in pretty much all aspects... EXCEPT bass, which is one of the OP's biggest concerns. Say what you will about them being overpriced and such, but the beats 'take the cake' in terms of bass quantity. Many other headphones also take that same cake from the M50 in the same price range. Other than the lack of bass, I agree.

Quote:
So my m50s arrived today, and I have auditioned many Beats studios, pros, and solos.... and even prior to burn in, these m50s easily take the cake. No contest at all.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #39 of 40
ah, then as I stated earlier, the xb500s or xb700s easily are the best choice as a substitute for the beats.
beerchug.gif

Although I would not at all say these lack bass.
basshead.gif

Quote:
You are right in pretty much all aspects... EXCEPT bass, which is one of the OP's biggest concerns. Say what you will about them being overpriced and such, but the beats 'take the cake' in terms of bass quantity. Many other headphones also take that same cake from the M50 in the same price range. Other than the lack of bass, I agree.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #40 of 40
OK. The M50s are perfect. But if you want to step it up a notch an cry and be inspired at the same time with the same sound preference x2 get the Denon AD-H5000. These will shock you at how good they are, especially for a M50 lover. They even provide a new layer of bass that finds the weakness of the M50. Shocking. They are one of my favorite headphones. Give them shot. For something more portable, give the Denon AH-D1100 or even better, the Denon AH-A100 a shot ( I won't give these up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back