M50s overrated?
May 21, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #241 of 991
I had mine for a week too but I thought it was really great sounding except for just slightly dissappointing soundstage and for me personally just tiny bit metallic/bright sounding highs as well as lack of bass for a true basshead but those are personal preferences and shouldn't be taken into account. However it seems price has gone further up, just took a look at what it costs nowadays in europe and seems to be around 150 ~ 170 EUR which is corresponding to like 180~$200 USD perhaps (when VAT differences are taken into account). At this price I don't think it's any special but at the $100 pricetag which they were sold for in US they'd be an awesome deal though.

That doesn't mean every headphone is that expensive over here though, take Ultrasone HFI-580 for example can be had for like 138 EUR on same site as M50 is sold for 166 EUR...

May 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #242 of 991
I'd take the M50 over the 240 II or 840 anyday myself for a number of reasons I've mentioned more times than I can count.  Some people here need to stop pretending their personal preference represents some sort of universal truth.  Whenever someone makes a claim about what's 'better' without consideration of more than one or two variables, that's when the grains of salt should start pouring out of your shaker.

I don't think anyone has ever said the M50 is the only alternative at the price.  Also realize many people are recommended M50's who have a low end expectation that no 840, 240, sr60/80 will meet.  Many times the M50 ends up not being enough for those folks either.  The fact is the general population that starts off has a certain low end expectation these days.  

Until the 558/598 came out I'd have given the overrated award to all the 555/595 recommendations personally.

May 22, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #243 of 991
Quote:

For an, "all rounder" can, I think my recommendation would go to the k240 mk2, it sounded quiet similar to my d2000, without the recessed mids, and slightly less impactful bass. Overall a fairly neutral can, that should work well with most genre's. There probably is a better suggestion, but from what I have heard, this is what I would recommend to a person with no specific music tastes, and just wants an "all rounder."

Used to have the K240s (supposedly same driver). Nice headphone with some of the AKG natural mids and being semi open, is less reverby than the M50. I agree it's a nice all-rounder. The problem I had with it is that when unamped, it has so-so frequency extension top and bottom and midbass feels a bit uncontrolled, lending to an fuzzy and undefined sound.

A good semi-open alternative to the M50. 

May 22, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #244 of 991
I'm still waiting for the M50 / 840 / V6 shootout someone promised 
popcorn.gif

May 22, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #245 of 991

Quote:
I'd take the M50 over the 240 II or 840 anyday myself for a number of reasons I've mentioned more times than I can count.  Some people here need to stop pretending their personal preference represents some sort of universal truth.  Whenever someone makes a claim about what's 'better' without consideration of more than one or two variables, that's when the grains of salt should start pouring out of your shaker.

I don't think anyone has ever said the M50 is the only alternative at the price.  Also realize many people are recommended M50's who have a low end expectation that no 840, 240, sr60/80 will meet.  Many times the M50 ends up not being enough for those folks either.  The fact is the general population that starts off has a certain low end expectation these days.  

Until the 558/598 came out I'd have given the overrated award to all the 555/595 recommendations personally.

Great post. 
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #248 of 991

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the M50 / 840 / V6 shootout someone promised 
popcorn.gif

I did a M50/840/Q40 shootout. Close enough?

May 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #251 of 991
Overrated? - Maybe.
Flavor of the Month? - Probably.
Competitive with headphones several times their price? - I wouldn't know.

Do I still love them? - Absolutely.

May 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #252 of 991
More like flavour of the decade...
I don't think they're overhyped though, and it's not just a head-fi thing. Look anywhere else on the web. M50s dominate in recommendations in every forum (consumer, audiophile, pro audio) where headphones are talked about. Amazon, cnet, headroom, etc all give it the highest of ratings. M50s are very commonly seen in recording studios. It might be borderline hype as people have been blindly recommending the M50, but I don't think you'll find many people who wouldn't be happy with a M50.

May 22, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #253 of 991
I don't think they're overhyped though, and it's not just a head-fi thing. Look anywhere else on the web. M50s dominate in recommendations in every forum (consumer, audiophile, pro audio) where headphones are talked about. Amazon, cnet, headroom, etc all give it the highest of ratings. M50s are very commonly seen in recording studios. It might be borderline hype as people have been blindly recommending the M50, but I don't think you'll find many people who wouldn't be happy with a M50.

I wasn't happy with my m50, that's why I sold it.

May 22, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #254 of 991

Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't happy with my m50, that's why I sold it.

I'm sure everyone who criticizes the M50s strongly in this thread weren't happy with them; still a minority though compared to the overwhelming number of M50 owners on HFi who aren't complaining.

Fact is there are mods and things that one could do that improve the SQ a lot more.

May 22, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #255 of 991
Ya know... Every so often I flip to this thread and wonder why it's still going. I read a couple pages of posts... then give it up. Kind of a futile thread. But I've posted a couple times already, so I'm an active participant in the mass futility.

It's very simple, really. Those who like the M50 will recommend it. Those who know it's positive attributes will recommend them if they think it's appropriate. Those who don't like them (for one or more reasons) will recommend against them. Those who are new here, or who's first 'important' HP is the M50 and LOVE them, will over-rate them or scream that they are the best damn HP's EVER!

But it's not so much that they are overhyped, they are just popular because they are very good, at a good price and that makes them appealing. There is hype all over these fora and you just have to expect it. I don't think the M50 is any more over-hyped than the LCD-2 or the SM3. It's the nature of the beast.

And then, when I'm done with this thread, I reach for my trusty ol' M50's, play some amazing music and remind myself just how good these unassuming cans are.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back