M50s overrated?
Dec 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #901 of 991
Yeah, the strident trebles are just way too much for me.  Would rather go with Koss PortaPro for $25 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #902 of 991
  Yeah, the strident trebles are just way too much for me.  Would rather go with Koss PortaPro for $25 
rolleyes.gif

Heck, I prefer my Koss KSC75s over the M50s.  Lol

For $118?

I was able to get a DT770 250ohm for $120, even un-amped it can get loud enough and has better sound quality. The CAL! are great performers and they're $60. Grado SR60/80i or Alessandro MS-1 have better sound quality in my opinion. CAL! 2. Fostex T50RP. There are a lot of good headphones under $120.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #903 of 991
  [...] There are a lot of good headphones under $120.

I agree, and M50 is one of them; I own some of the others. I haven't found any very good models that cheap, which is how M50 ran into trouble: it was compared to $300+ open models by members who had never heard them.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #904 of 991
My only question with respect to the M50 is... What's a decent upgrade? At what cost? For a portable setup, does it necessarily imply a portable amplifier, so the total cost is at least somewhere around $300-400? I am currently using a Sony Z1060 and XBA-4, which I love and sound very different than the M50... I'm thinking MDR-MA900 but any suggestions are more than welcome.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #905 of 991
I think I am settled on the V-moda's M-80's for now. They can be driven unamped and are pretty portable. 
They blow the doors off the M50's and outshine some higher end cans like the Momentum's. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #907 of 991

Care to offer up some suggestions for OP? And if you are going to disagree would be good to hear your thoughts on why.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #908 of 991
  Care to offer up some suggestions for OP? And if you are going to disagree would be good to hear your thoughts on why.

I would agree with Minarets as well. The M80 sounds muffled in comparison to the Momentum's more organic sound. Even the Momentum on ears edge out the M80 by a little for me due to the more textured, organic and airy sound. The only place where the M80 wins is the bass impact and the isolation aspect.  Also we need to know more information and what he likes/dislikes about the M50 to point him in the correct direction.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #909 of 991
  My only question with respect to the M50 is... What's a decent upgrade? At what cost? For a portable setup, does it necessarily imply a portable amplifier, so the total cost is at least somewhere around $300-400? I am currently using a Sony Z1060 and XBA-4, which I love and sound very different than the M50... I'm thinking MDR-MA900 but any suggestions are more than welcome.

Lot's of great options for portables nowadays that don't need an amp.  It's amazing how fast this segment has grown!  Price is not an indication of audio quality or what your ears can hear.  What's your budget?  An amp is nice to have but not necessary and may not make a difference with the headphone you get.

I personally use and love the M-100 as my personal portable headphone.  It's got an awesome deep bass that doesn't get muddled with the mids and trebles.  It's a closed back (some say semi because of the V vents) that isolates well and doesn't leak sound.  Comfort has been brought up with these headphones and V-Moda has brought out an optional XL pad that seems to have remedied the problem.  Price is a bit steep but I haven't heard anything else that I enjoy more for portable use.

What do you like about your Sony's and why would you consider the M50?

The best thing you can do is take your portable source to a store and listen to as many headphones as you can.  Maybe you don't need another headphone (just kidding we all do).
wink_face.gif

Good luck and happy headphone hunting!

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #910 of 991

I just think the M50 have been out so long now and have been a staple for so many, that it's now the thing to dismiss as "not good enough".

Personally, I think the m80s don't sound that good. Their clarity isn't anything to write home about. They aren't comfortable being on ears and overall, just a not an appealing phone for me. The m50 clarity, detail and bass far surpass the M80' IMO.

That said, my thoughts are not entirely popular as I really don't care for the momentum. Well built, gorgeous phone , but the detail isn't there for me. It's too warm for my taste.

The P7 I think is the best sounding closed can I have listened to so far, but it's awfully expensive. For someone looking in the $100 range I would continue to suggest the M50 as I think it does more things well than most.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #911 of 991
  Lot's of great options for portables nowadays that don't need an amp.  It's amazing how fast this segment has grown!  Price is not an indication of audio quality or what your ears can hear.  What's your budget?  An amp is nice to have but not necessary and may not make a difference with the headphone you get.

I personally use and love the M-100 as my personal portable headphone.  It's got an awesome deep bass that doesn't get muddled with the mids and trebles.  It's a closed back (some say semi because of the V vents) that isolates well and doesn't leak sound.  Comfort has been brought up with these headphones and V-Moda has brought out an optional XL pad that seems to have remedied the problem.  Price is a bit steep but I haven't heard anything else that I enjoy more for portable use.

What do you like about your Sony's and why would you consider the M50?

The best thing you can do is take your portable source to a store and listen to as many headphones as you can.  Maybe you don't need another headphone (just kidding we all do).
wink_face.gif

Good luck and happy headphone hunting!

Thanks! I already have the M50 and enjoy them, even if compared to the XBA-4 they sound too bassy. I just wonder for say $200 if there are options which actually sound like an upgrade, considering diminishing returns.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #912 of 991

If you don't have an Amp, your not getting the most out of the M50's now. They would sound better with an Amp. So if that's something in your future, I would recommend getting the amp first, and enjoying your "new" M50's, and then when you want something better, you have a portable system you can take to a store to demo headphones.

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #913 of 991

Thanks! I already have the M50 and enjoy them, even if compared to the XBA-4 they sound too bassy. I just wonder for say $200 if there are options which actually sound like an upgrade, considering diminishing returns.

This may sound like blasphemy but the Monoprice 8323 is a great sounding headphone for less than $20.  They are fairly neutral to my ears.  I think they sound like a upgrade to the M50s.  So if you're looking for something with less bass, more of a neutral presentation and don't feel like shelling out a lot I highly recommend them.

The Amperiors are discontinued and can be found for around $150 (MSRP 349).  Good extension from bass to treble but I'm not sure if you'll like the sound since the bass hits pretty hard on them.  I find them a bit fatiguing at times since the bass hits hard and the treble and mids have a very forward presentation.  The sound resolution is a huge upgrade to the M50.

A lot of people talk about how good the UE6000 is and it's currently on sale at Tigerdirect for $79.  I can't comment on the sound since I haven't really given them a listen.  

Just some ideas to throw around.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #914 of 991

If you don't have an Amp, your not getting the most out of the M50's now. They would sound better with an Amp. So if that's something in your future, I would recommend getting the amp first, and enjoying your "new" M50's, and then when you want something better, you have a portable system you can take to a store to demo headphones.

Thanks! I'm going to do a more obvious thing first which is to try the M50s with my old Onkyo amp at home and try to listen to the differences. The Fiio e11 and e12 do sound appealing though.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #915 of 991
  This may sound like blasphemy but the Monoprice 8323 is a great sounding headphone for less than $20.  They are fairly neutral to my ears.  I think they sound like a upgrade to the M50s.  So if you're looking for something with less bass, more of a neutral presentation and don't feel like shelling out a lot I highly recommend them.

The Amperiors are discontinued and can be found for around $150 (MSRP 349).  Good extension from bass to treble but I'm not sure if you'll like the sound since the bass hits pretty hard on them.  I find them a bit fatiguing at times since the bass hits hard and the treble and mids have a very forward presentation.  The sound resolution is a huge upgrade to the M50.

A lot of people talk about how good the UE6000 is and it's currently on sale at Tigerdirect for $79.  I can't comment on the sound since I haven't really given them a listen.  

Just some ideas to throw around.

Wow, 20 bucks! I'll look into them, the amperiors and the ue6000. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back