m50's love the Fiio E7/E9
Mar 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #16 of 46
This is why I like to recommend an amp w/ the M50s.  Some folks love to say the M50 is just fine from say a Clip+.  Just 'fine' would be right.  Reading reviews around here I tried the Shure 840, Senn HD555, Ultrasone 580 against the M50 expecting the M50 to lose out.  It didn't.  Properly driven the M50 beat them all on clarity and detail plus it had the blackest background of all of them.  During transients and when the music stops, the black background was just on another level.  The 580 did beat the M50 on low end detail retrieval and had more more neutral upper mids but that was it.  Though the 580 was designed exactly for low end retrieval so go figure.  For around $100 the M50 are champs and far from FOTM.  Give them juice and watch them shine.  If you like the M50 signature, the D7000 is the next step up IMO.      

May 14, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #18 of 46
Personally I notice a very minimal difference in using the E7 vs E7+E9 with the M50's. With the E9 the bass is tighter, it sounds punchier, but other than that it's hard to notice a difference.

Of course using the E7 vs onboard laptop soundcard is a huge improvement though.

May 19, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #19 of 46
The E9 dramatically improved the sound quality of my Sony MDR-V6, compared to my laptop sound card. BUT, my Beyer dt880/600 headphones sound crap with the E9. There is enough volume, but the music is just not there.

May 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #20 of 46
What your describing is more a problem of synergy rather than a lack of power.  From what I've read, tube amplifiers pair well with the DT 880.  Perhaps Schiit Audio's Valhala or Little Dot's line of tube amplifiers might be better suit your DT 880? 

May 21, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 46
I like to pair my M50's with E7/E9 when listening to Rap or Pop to bring out the bass response vs my 650's. I'm a newbie and got a question on the gain switch of the E9. I was under the impression this was used for higher impedance cans, and I'm wondering if it would damage my M50's by using it?

May 21, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #22 of 46
No the extra voltage won't damage the M50, you'll reach your desired listening volume much quicker.

May 22, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #24 of 46
Thanks Digital-Pride!

I'm curious what your preference is as well as others on this thread that have the this set-up. The gain makes it louder, but I'm wondering if the gain is distorting the sound and if I would be better off just cranking the volume up a bit?

May 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #25 of 46
Hmm, high gain shouldn't cause any distortion though it is more suited for high impedance headphones.  Your M50s should be fine with low gain.  In fact, low gain has plenty of power(and then some) for my Shures(SRH840).

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #26 of 46
I am also curious to this, as I have the same sound card and also use the M50s.  I have read a couple reviews that say it is not the best for music (it must be much better than onboard sound I would think though!), however would the difference between this card and using the E7 be appreciable or negligible?

Quote:
If i have an HT Omega Striker, is it necessary to get a dac + amp or either one of these? i have the ath-m50s

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 46
Bumping this, I would really appreciate if anyone has any insight onto this subject matter!  I do a lot of my listening off of my computer, so if I am really missing out just running off of the HTO striker card I would love to know so I can rectify this situation.  

EDIT:  And I was looking at the micca store and they have a couple special offers, where a FiiO E7 + E9 = $200 w/ a free Fiio cable of choice, this seems to be a good deal to me if I were to upgrade from my sound card.  Y/n on the deal?

Quote:
I am also curious to this, as I have the same sound card and also use the M50s.  I have read a couple reviews that say it is not the best for music (it must be much better than onboard sound I would think though!), however would the difference between this card and using the E7 be appreciable or negligible?

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #29 of 46
I have the M50 with the E7/E9 combo through Foobar and I have to say it sounds fantastic. Just very clear full sound.
The M50 by itself on an iphone I found a bit bright. With the E7 on the iphone I found it a tad too warm for my liking but the E7 with the E9 through by PC just sounds so much better.

I think it's a great system that I often just close my eyes and enjoy the music on.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #30 of 46
This thread was all I needed to decide to get the E7. I abandoned my M50 for my Pro700MK2, which doesn't run as well from an iPod as well as M50's do, IMO. My soundcard is also complete crap, so this should be fun~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back