M50 vs RX900
Nov 15, 2010 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ThumperSD

100+ Head-Fier
Im currently deciding between the M50 and RX900. The RX900 is cheaper and has a wider sound stage and I am wondering if I should go with these instead. So what are the advantages of the M50?

I was able to compare the difference between a wide and low sound stage (not with the cans mentioned) and I would like for my cans to have at least a decent sound stage.

I listen to hip-hop and electronica music primarily so I want cans with good bass. I know the M50 is good for this but I am worried about sacfiricing the wide soundstage as certain music will sound better with a nice sound stage. I also listen to jazz, reggae, rock 10% of the time

So basically I want the best of both world (bass and soundstage) however bass is slightly more important to me. I would also like decent highs and mids but dont want the highs to so clear that it will hurt my ears.

I may be considering the DT770 if it can potentially be the headphones that I will keep for several years. It is more than I would like to spend but if they can bring the best of both worlds, I will consider them.

If you can recommend any other headphones, I welcome them.

So basically so far I am considering:
M50
RX900
DT770

Music choice:
40% hip-hop, 40% electronica, 10% reggae, 5% rock, 5% jazz

I will be connecting it to my Xonar DX sound card and ipod

Please provide any feedback

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Is it better than the M50? DT770? What are it's strong points/weak points compared to them? How is the sound stage? How comfortable is it? Does it need an amp?

Not exactly looking for a bass monster. I DO want plenty bass but dont need it to be overwhelming.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Is it better than the M50? DT770? What are it's strong points/weak points compared to them? How is the sound stage? How comfortable is it? Does it need an amp?

Not exactly looking for a bass monster. I DO want plenty bass but dont need it to be overwhelming.

I think its slightly better than the M50's on the bass department....the soundstage is not very good though, some people find them uncomfortable. 

And they can be fine running straight from an ipod or pc. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 8
I would think that the M50 will be fine for me as far as bass goes. If the sound stage is not better than the M50, I wouldnt bother. I also forgot to mention in the OP that comfort is important to me. It has to be fairly comfortable as I may be having them on for four hours or so.

I am VERY close to purchasing the M50... I love the way it looks also. The only thing that is turning me down from it is that it lacks the wide soundstage. I am not looking for HUGE soundstage but I would like for it to have some so that I can feel certain tunes coming from a distance. As long as the M50 doesnt have a narrow soundstage, I will pull the trigger. So hopefully someone can provide feedback on this.

Not sure if i will regret not getting the DT770 or RX900 though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back