M50 to In-Ear what?
Feb 25, 2011 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bones2010

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently use my ATH M50's at my desktop. I want something of similar or better sound quality for portable use. I like the sound of the M50's but want an upgrade. Also, I am cheap! I don't want to spend a penny more than necessary to get slightly better sound than what I already have:) Please don't take this to mean that I want cheap phones. I just want the most bang for my buck. I will only be using a Clip+. No amp.

Thanks for all input.

Feb 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 19
I own the M50 and I like them a lot, but I can't really think of any IEM that sounds like them to me. The bass is okay, but mids are excellent to me with a lot of detail. The highs can be a bit harsh but are taming down for me. You know what, it's isn't the exact timbre, but the HJE900 is kind of close with better bass. The mids in the Panny are little bit more recessed than the M50, but the highs are about the same. Again, I'm not saying you get the M50 in the HJE900, but they have some similarities. If you search real hard you may be able to find the Panny for about $100.

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks ericp10,
I have considered the HJE900. If I could get it for $100, I would buy it for sure but I can't seem to find it for less than $199!
I don't need the exact same sound sig as the M50s. I am not against a slightly more neutral sound.
If someone thinks that they have an even better option, I'm all ears:)

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 19
I have the m50's and like them a lot...I've also been trying a lot of different iem's lately
I would say nuforce 700m/x - closest to me, turbines - not quite as much mid detail but great bass -  and maybe hippo vb's sound sort of similar.

all from clip+/rockbox no amp

just my opinions...I will be selling the nuforce 700m's and hippo vb's if you're interested :)

Feb 26, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 19
great...i have the same question    i wana buy portable headphones but i don't know which sounds better
hje-900 or m50 ?(just want the best SQ)   it might sound a silly question but im going to use them in home or bus  so the size doesnt matter
and can m50s be used with normal sansa fuze with no amps ?   if not how much a decent portable amp costs ?

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 19
i just realized that i dont need an amp for m50s  since i am new in headfi i know nothing about diffrences between IEMs and portable headphones   which one is more enjoyable ?   hje-900 or m50 ?

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 19
What about the Audeo PFE. Will the bass be too weak compared to the M50?
One problem I have with M50 is that some guitar based rock doesn't sound as good as it does on even cheap speakers. I'm talking about Led Zep and stuff like that.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 19
The closest match to the M50 that I have in my collection is the Triple.Fi 10. Both feature accentuated bass and treble and slightly recessed mids.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 19
I absolutely loved my M50s for the low end, and the Monster Turbines are the closest thing I can find to them.  I'm an amateur tho... :)

The HJE900s are definitely the closest I've heard to the M50s in IEM form, although I haven't heard too many IEMs. Ericp10s description reflects my sentiments exactly. It's a shame they are harder to find for their old price now.

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 19
I was just about to post the same question as the OP! I just purchased a pair of M50's which replaced a pair of HD555's which I sold (they lacked bass and I needed some noise canceling). What do you guys think of the Sunrise SW-Xcape? From what I read they have some pretty solid bass as well without being as overwhelming as say... products from Monster. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
I was just about to post the same question as the OP! I just purchased a pair of M50's which replaced a pair of HD555's which I sold (they lacked bass and I needed some noise canceling). What do you guys think of the Sunrise SW-Xcape? From what I read they have some pretty solid bass as well without being as overwhelming as say... products from Monster. 

Whatever you do, please do not lump the Monster Turbines (regular, copper, pro, miles davis) in with the rest of the Monster line of headphones (Beats/Solo/Tour/etc.).  Totally different class and when you hang around here long enough, you'll understand.  :)  The Turbines are definitely legit headphones for guys looking for some thump in their IEMs...especially at their current $74 pricetag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back