M3 - Second Biggest Disappointment Ever
Jul 6, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #61 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
What about how hearing preferences change from day to day? Like one day you'd prefer to listen to Sennheisers, and the next day Grados?

Never really experienced that (I've seen it mentioned a lot on here though). The only times when I'd get any feeling at all that I'd like to try Senns/I don't like the way SA5k's sound is when I've been listening for a long period of time (3+ hours). At that point my ears are usually worn out anyways, so I don't consider it to be an accurate representation on my sonic tastes.

Here are some pictures of the amp (I'm going to send SFT Audio an email about whether my 3-year warranty is still valid if I open the amp before I take pictures of the guts):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...UL/m3touch.jpg
(I'm touching the area inside the red)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...L/m3spots1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...L/m3spots2.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...L/m3spots3.jpg

They appear in splotches, so to speak, around the amp. Most of these splotches are on the bottom of the amp. I used the term "burn" because they appear to have a brown-ish look with a purple hue, which I believe is what burnt metal looks like (Though I could definetly be wrong).

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #62 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
So, to put this all into perspective, why should I expect the source to make much of a difference if I didn't find different headphones to make such a drastic difference (Such a drastic difference from source to source as many on here preach)?

Well after reading some of your posts. I don't think you should expect dramatic improvements. Perhaps you don't perceive what others do. Or maybe there are certain changes you notice more than other changes. If that's the case, maybe you should just be more open to a variation of upgrades, and if you find that none of them are worth the cash, then return them or resell them.

If it turns out that none of the upgrades you try seem worth it, then that's great! That just means your rig is fine as it is.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #64 of 249
Quote:

I'm a DBT kind of guy as I believe that reveals the absolute honesty about how something really sounds,

I'm with you but damn near everyone that uses DBT doesn't know how to run it in a meaningful way. Zu has a great write up on comparing equipment but here's the jist of it.

Create a playlist of 4-6 different enough songs that you are confident are well recorded.

Each song should be doubled up back to back so song 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4...

During each 1st pass of a song just listen, on the 2nd pass take notes about what you are hearing

Switch the other piece and do it again.

Your notes will tell you how each piece differs in contrete ways that you can take into the DBT and get meaningful results. The sit in a chair, press play and have a buddy change things at random, never repeating the same passage, comparing a different event to the current event is utterly useless.

The above is how I 'put my finger on it' when comparing gear. Sometimes the differences are vast enough that the useless method also works though
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #65 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I don't mean to be rude, but that is the way it is going to come off as I am afraid...

I am just sick and tired of reading threads like:

"My Audio Technica headphones sound like Audio Technica headphones.
frown.gif
"

"I want to upgrade but I have no money.
frown.gif
"

"My extremely low quality game sountracks don't sound good on my new headphones, why?
frown.gif
"

"Why don't my headphones sound good when using my PS2 as source?
frown.gif
"

I mean, you have a thread asking for 'earth rattling bass headphones' or something to that effect and another asking for a tube amp to compliment your headphones and yet you end up with an M3 and SA5000's???

WHA HAPPEN!?!?

Do you listen to any of the advice that you are given? Are you truely surprised that you are unhappy with what could possibly be the worst synergy on the planet?

I haven't posted in one of your threads for a while, but this one just was the last straw. I used to give you advice, but when you go completely the other direction and then are pissy about it I find it hard to be helpfull again.

I suppose that is enough beating you up for one post... Lets try and look at the bright side of things. You have discovered that you don't like Audio Technica headphones and you don't like the SA5000's with solid state. Your choices are sell everything and rebuild with a better understanding of your desires or trade your M3 for a DarkVoice or some other similarily priced tube amplifier.

Good Luck.
plainface.gif

Huh? Could you please state every instance in which I went against the advice you guys provided and then started to complain (I count only the source upgrade thing, which I ended up doing by upgrading to a budget source first, the CE595, and then planning on working my way from there)?

Quote:

I mean, you have a thread asking for 'earth rattling bass headphones' or something to that effect and another asking for a tube amp to compliment your headphones and yet you end up with an M3 and SA5000's???

I asked about the bass thing, then I tried the DT770s and felt they had too much bass and over-powered the music. I was going to use them for gaming but felt they were too bass heavy. I arrived at the conclusion that I'm either just going to get A900s for gaming (Since I used the A500s for gaming earlier and they were fine) or continue using my SA5k's. I asked about the tube thing because I was still researching things. This was all a long time ago. And after reading all these threads and making a bunch of threads, I arrived at the M3.

Quote:

"My Audio Technica headphones sound like Audio Technica headphones.

How can you blame me for not liking the way my A500s sounded? It was my first headphone experience and I wasn't aware of how unique each sound signature could be, so I didn't realize that I was saying "My Audio Technica headphones sound like Audio Technica headphones." If a new person comes on here and tries some Senns, and then complains about how it sounds too dark and veiled. Are you going to blame that person for complaing that the Senns sound like Senns? Yeesh, not everybody has as extensive knowledge on this subject like people like you.

Quote:

"I want to upgrade but I have no money.
frown.gif
"

Huh? Not sure what you're referring to here. I'm the type of guy that likes to heavily research into something before making a purchase. I think you got this from the many upgrading threads I made. I used all of those threads to put things into perspective on which path I should take. I ultimately decided to stick with the path with the SA5k's and not bother trying out other heapdhones when I found the SA1k's.

Quote:

"My extremely low quality game sountracks don't sound good on my new headphones, why?
frown.gif
"

Yeah, ALL I listen to is video game soundtracks. Thank you, Mr. Generalization.

Quote:

"Why don't my headphones sound good when using my PS2 as source?
frown.gif
"

What? I was using my PS2 as a source when I used my A500s for gaming. I don't do any serious listening with my PS2.

Most of this stuff is from my early days on these forums.

Someone needs to calm down, seriously. And try to think of things from the point of view of someone without as much knowledge and outlets for testing out gear and what not. I'm sorry, but I'm just nowhere near the audiophile elite guy as you and many others here are. I'm still rather ignorant when it comes to head-fi.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #66 of 249
As I read more of your comments, I continue to come under the impression that the SA5000 may have been a poor choice.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #67 of 249
Quote:

Never really experienced that (I've seen it mentioned a lot on here though). The only times when I'd get any feeling at all that I'd like to try Senns/I don't like the way SA5k's sound is when I've been listening for a long period of time (3+ hours). At that point my ears are usually worn out anyways, so I don't consider it to be an accurate representation on my sonic tastes.

Here are some pictures of the amp (I'm going to send SFT Audio an email about whether my 3-year warranty is still valid if I open the amp before I take pictures of the guts):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...UL/m3touch.jpg
(I'm touching the area inside the red)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...L/m3spots1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...L/m3spots2.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...L/m3spots3.jpg

They appear in splotches, so to speak, around the amp. Most of these splotches are on the bottom of the amp. I used the term "burn" because they appear to have a brown-ish look with a purple hue, which I believe is what burnt metal looks like (Though I could definetly be wrong).

Low quality pictures so it's hard to tell, but it looks more like fingerprint stains than 'burn' marks to me.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #68 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
As I read more of your comments, I continue to come under the impression that the SA5000 may have been a poor choice.

So many people are posting things along these lines, that I don't like my SA5k's. Where are you guys getting this. Basically, this is what happend:

LOVE THE SOUND OF SA5k's
[AMP ARRIVES]
SOUND IMPROVES SLIGHTLY, LOVE THE SOUND EVEN MORE

Disappointment: Expected a bigger improvement.

By the way, any comments on the burn issue? I'm more concerned about that at the moment.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #69 of 249
Quote:

LOVE THE SOUND OF SA5k's
[AMP ARRIVES]
SOUND IMPROVES SLIGHTLY, LOVE THE SOUND EVEN MORE

Disappointment: Expected a bigger improvement.

Your thread title is misleading. It's not the M3 in particular, but amps in general.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #70 of 249
Quote:

Huh? Could you please state every instance in which I went against the advice you guys provided and then started to complain (I count only the source upgrade thing, which I ended up doing by upgrading to a budget source first, the CE595, and then planning on working my way from there)?

No. Why would I go through all the trouble?
tongue.gif

All I know is that you have never followed my advice, and you have pretty much complained about EVERY single piece of gear you have purchased on here. Or at least that is what it seems like. Perhaps you only start threads when you have a complaint. Quote:

I asked about the bass thing, then I tried the DT770s and felt they had too much bass and over-powered the music. I was going to use them for gaming but felt they were too bass heavy. I arrived at the conclusion that I'm either just going to get A900s for gaming (Since I used the A500s for gaming earlier and they were fine) or continue using my SA5k's. I asked about the tube thing because I was still researching things. This was all a long time ago. And after reading all these threads and making a bunch of threads, I arrived at the M3.

I must have missed the DT770 part of the journey. Never heard those beyers myself [just the DT880], but I would imagine they are complete polar opposites to the SA5000. Quote:

How can you blame me for not liking the way my A500s sounded? It was my first headphone experience and I wasn't aware of how unique each sound signature could be, so I didn't realize that I was saying "My Audio Technica headphones sound like Audio Technica headphones." If a new person comes on here and tries some Senns, and then complains about how it sounds too dark and veiled. Are you going to blame that person for complaing that the Senns sound like Senns? Yeesh, not everybody has as extensive knowledge on this subject like people like you.

I don't blame you. I did try my damndest to get you to not buy them though. I bloody hate Audio Technicas.
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

"I want to upgrade but I have no money."

I'm the type of guy that likes to heavily research into something before making a purchase. I think you got this from the many upgrading threads I made.

Yes. Quote:

Yeah, ALL I listen to is video game soundtracks. Thank you, Mr. Generalization.

That is not what I was saying. Just that a better headphone will only allow you to percieve flaws when you feed it crap. [I'm not saying that video game music is crap, but I believe in this instance you admitted that it was a low bitrate poor recording] Quote:

What? I was using my PS2 as a source when I used my A500s for gaming. I don't do any serious listening with my PS2.

Before you got anything else you did. I was just trying to take a snapshot of your 'compaining through time', not your current state of being.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Looks like someone needs to calm down.

I'm quite calm... just irritated.

I tell you what. Answer me two questions and I will pull out the Tarot cards for you:

1. What do you like/dislike about the SA5000?
2. What type of music speaks to your soul?

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #71 of 249
Quote:

My philsophy is that if you don't like the sound within the first hour, then you don't like the sound period. Any extra time spent with the rig is simply conforming your mind to accept the new sound as the "standard" sound and other mental aspects start coming into play, all of which ultimately cause you to believe that you're rig now suddenly sounds better than it did upon first listen. Psycho-acoustical
eek.gif

There is a serious logical flaw with your argument. You are accustomed to your previous amp after months of listening. Your hearing is pre-conditioned to its sound. Now you get a new amp, and you listen for a day and make a quick judgment about its SQ, before your ear has time to get accustomed to it. I don't undertstand the logic here.

Of course I have also reported my impressions of a gear after some quick A/B. But only because I am limited by my access to that gear. If I could do in-home comparison, I would only be ready to draw conclusions after a week. When I read that you got the amp and started a "disappointment" thread on the same day, I really felt it was hilarious.
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #72 of 249
Quote:

By the way, any comments on the burn issue? I'm more concerned about that at the moment.

With regard to the temp of the case it's probably nothing to worry about and given that it's probably a custom power supply it'll be rather hard to tell if it's an issue. We can't easily tell how much voltage the reg is dropping and without knowing the characteristics of the heatsink it's impossible to estimate what the temperature should be. At least it's vented, if it wasn't I'd be really worried. In the end your best bet is to ask the builder what they think about it.

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #73 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
1. What do you like/dislike about the SA5000?
2. What type of music speaks to your soul?

1. Uh...sonically, they're perfect. Only thing that is lacking is physical bass (Not the kind of bass on the DT770s/A500s that made the rest of the music that much less coherent).

2. Million-dollar question right there. I've struggled to find the best way to state the kind of music I like, but I've always failed. Whenever people try to introduce me to new music, they always struggle as I like songs A and C, but don't like song B; yet, there's no genre/sonic relation between songs A and C, and song A is much more closer sounding to song B. I've asked many people about what I'd classify my musical tastes as, and I've concluding that it'd be: Electronica, trance, techno, and J-Pop.

Based on that info, I was recommended the SA5k's, so I went down that path.

I should mention that I didn't intentionally ignore your advice on any personal basis or anything along those lines. Whenever I create some recommendation threads, I follow advice based on the majority (And I create multiple threads over long periods of time, and see all the different majority options; I then decide on the majority of the majority options). If I didn't follow your advice, it was probably because you weren't in the majority (I know it isn't your fault, but I'm a careful shopper
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #74 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
There is a serious logical flaw with your argument. You are accustomed to your previous amp after months of listening. Your hearing is pre-conditioned to its sound. Now you get a new amp, and you listen for a day and make a quick judgment about its SQ, before your ear has time to get accustomed to it. I don't undertstand the logic here.

Of course I have also reported my impressions of a gear after some quick A/B. But only because I am limited by my access to that gear. If I could do in-home comparison, I would only be ready to draw conclusions after a week. When I read that you got the amp and started a "disappointment" thread on the same day, I really felt it was hilarious.
tongue.gif

Well, what I believe is that this kind of thinking can only be considered a logical flaw when the new sound sounds worse than the accustomed sound. If this happens, then you'd be on the track to prove that this line of thinking has serious flaws.

However, I don't dislike the sound that is being produced from the M3. In fact, it's better than the sound that I was long accustomed to, I recognized this upon the first few songs I listened to. The only problem is that it isn't AS better as I expected.

About the whole timing thing of getting the amp and posting the thread, did you feel the same way about the A500 thread? The only reason that I posted impressions of the A500s a day after getting them was because I didn't have access to a computer until the next day (That disappointment was nearly immediate, as with this case; and in both cases, I wasn't complaining that the sound was bad or worse than before, just that it wasn't as much of an improvement as I expeceted).

Jul 6, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #75 of 249
Quote:

I follow advice based on the majority (And I create multiple threads over long periods of time, and see all the different majority options; I then decide on the majority of the majority options).

Funny thing there, with the exception of a very short FOTM run for the SA5Ks I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than a particular doctor, whose posts I'm no longer burdened with reading, recommend the SA5ks. Not to mention a majority of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back