M3 - Second Biggest Disappointment Ever
Jul 5, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #16 of 249
Well the SA5000 don't exactly have large quantities of bass to begin with. Have you thought about trying other headphones? If your thinking of downgrading to SA1000 that tells me that you aren't very happy with the SA5000.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Well the SA5000 don't exactly have large quantities of bass to begin with. Have you thought about trying other headphones? If your thinking of downgrading to SA1000 that tells me that you aren't very happy with the SA5000.

Just to make it clear:

I'M NOT DISAPPOINTED WITH THE BASS. I WAS SIMPLY COMMENTED ON A SONIC DIFFERENCE I PERCEIVED. THE BASS WAS PERFECTLY FINE WITH MY STEREO'S AMP. I WAS JUST COMMENTING ON HOW THE BASS IS SLIGHTLY LESS IN QUANTITY NOW BUT HAS MORE IMPACT

The reason why I'm considering downgrading is that the difference between SA1k and SA5k wasn't that grand, and since I've heard what the SA5k sound with a powerful amp, it'd probably be worthwhile to just downgrade to the SA1k due to how much $ I'd save. I don't see how this would mean that I'm not happy with the SA5k's. I'm just saying that I've realized the limitations of this hobby and it'd probably be much wiser to just downgrade to the SA1k's (Which I found to be 85-90% of the SA5k's; and considering an amp barely made any difference at all, I wouldn't be missing out on much with the SA5k's gone; one of the main reasons I kept the SA5k's over the SA1k's was potential with a nice amp).

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #18 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I'M NOT DISAPPOINTED WITH THE BASS. I WAS SIMPLY COMMENTED ON A SONIC DIFFERENCE I PERCEIVED. THE BASS WAS PERFECTLY FINE WITH MY STEREO'S AMP. I WAS JUST COMMENTING ON HOW THE BASS IS SLIGHTLY LESS IN QUANTITY NOW BUT HAS MORE IMPACT

SO HOW IS IT THE SECOND BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT EVER IF ITS NOT A DISSAPOINTMENT?

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 249
It seems that you are skeptical about all kinds of upgrades, and for good reason (since you can't hear much difference between different components).

I'm not sure you even need the SA1000 at all. Why not just buy a pair of KSC75 or something?

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 249
AD8065? I thought you were going to use the OPA627...

I honestly wouldn't have expected that combo to sound all that flattering with the SA5k to begin with, and I think I did warn about it at some point :/

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
SO HOW IS IT THE SECOND BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT EVER IF ITS NOT A DISSAPOINTMENT?

BECAUSE I WAS EXPECTING MORE FROM AN AMP. THE IMPROVEMENT WAS MINIMAL. SOMETHING CAN STILL BE A DISAPPOINTMENT IF IT HAS MINIMAL IMPROVEMENT. ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU QUOTED SOMETIHNG THAT WAS ABOUT BASS. THERE ARE MORE ASPECTS TO SOUND THAN JUST BASS.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #22 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
AD8065? I thought you were going to use the OPA627...

I honestly wouldn't have expected that combo to sound all that flattering with the SA5k to begin with, and I think I did warn about it at some point :/

I think Teerawit or Jazper recommended it. I believe you warned against AD8610, I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok
It seems that you are skeptical about all kinds of upgrades, and for good reason (since you can't hear much difference between different components).

I'm not sure you even need the SA1000 at all. Why not just buy a pair of KSC75 or something?

I like the SAxk sonic signature.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 249
Quote:

I think Teerawit or Jazper recommended it. I believe you warned against AD8610, I think.

I think I mentioned the 8065 being a concern too either in PM or on IM or something, but that I did defer to Jazper since he seemed to have more experience with it than I. I'm pretty unsurprised that it didn't turn out that pleasing, though, with the SA5000.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 249
Quote:

BECAUSE I WAS EXPECTING MORE FROM AN AMP. THE IMPROVEMENT WAS MINIMAL. SOMETHING CAN STILL BE A DISAPPOINTMENT IF IT HAS MINIMAL IMPROVEMENT. ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU QUOTED SOMETIHNG THAT WAS ABOUT BASS. THERE ARE MORE ASPECTS TO SOUND THAN JUST BASS.

WAHHHHHH! T.T

Quote:

I like the SAxk sonic signature.

OBVIOUSLY NOT! AND AMP DOES NOT MAGICALLY FIX FLAWS IN THE HEADPHONES, IT CAN ONLY REFINE THE SOUND. YOU CAN'T BLAME PROBLEMS WITH THE HEADPHONE ON THE AMP.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #25 of 249
The M3 is typically described as smooth and warm where the PPA is detailed and forward. Don't think this is synergy issues just overkill for the source. In my experience with headphone amps paying more than half your source's value is terrible returns.

That said getting out of Head-Fi isn't a horrible idea since frankly at your age there are some far more important expenses about to beat down your door... like a house
wink.gif
I would have thrown money at the landlord for far fewer years had I saved for a house instead of building a ~$20K speaker rig, none of which I still have
rolleyes.gif

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #26 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
OBVIOUSLY NOT! AND AMP DOES NOT MAGICALLY FIX FLAWS IN THE HEADPHONES, IT CAN ONLY REFINE THE SOUND. YOU CAN'T BLAME PROBLEMS WITH THE HEADPHONE ON THE AMP.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLEM WITH THESE HEADPHONES IS! OBVIOUSLY YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT MY SONIC TASTES THAN I DO, SO THIS WOULD BE OF GREAT BENEFIT. AS FAR AS MY IGNORANT MIND KNOWS, I NEVER SAID I WAS DISAPPOINED WITH THE HEADPHONES.

Seriously, where are you getting all of this? Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 249
WHY ARE WE ALL SCREAMING?
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #28 of 249
Why are you still using that source?

Didn't a bunch of people tell you to upgrade the source first, before plopping so much money on the amp?

As is expected..

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #29 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
That said getting out of Head-Fi isn't a horrible idea since frankly at your age there are some far more important expenses about to beat down your door... like a house
wink.gif
I would have thrown money at the landlord for far fewer years had I saved for a house instead of building a ~$20K speaker rig, none of which I still have
rolleyes.gif

Tell me about it. In a year I'm going to have to deal with paying for my college tuition, that's going to suck.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #30 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Why are you still using that source?

Didn't a bunch of people tell you to upgrade the source first, before plopping so much money on the amp?

As is expected..

As I previously stated, my CE595 should be arriving this Friday. My M3 came earlier than expected.

Many people here consider that the biggest difference in sound quality is between headphones, right? If I considered the difference in sound betweent the SR-80s and the A500s to be minimal, why would I expect a source upgrade to yield such great sonic results? ESPECIALLY, when this is nearing the point of diminishing returns much more than at the A500/SR-80 level.

This is going to get messy. *FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATED*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back