M2Tech HiFace 2?
Sep 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #166 of 562
How do you use the Hiface 2 as sound output in OS X? When I choose it in the sound preferences there's no sound. I'm trying to help a guy who wants to use iTunes, Spotify and VLC.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #167 of 562
I'm thinking about trying the Sabre D18 dac from grant fidelity. I already have a Teralink x2, my question is: would a Hiface 2 be a great improvement over my Teralink when testing the D18?

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #168 of 562
Quote:
I'm thinking about trying the Sabre D18 dac from grant fidelity. I already have a Teralink x2, my question is: would a Hiface 2 be a great improvement over my Teralink when testing the D18?

I can't speak for the Teralink as I haven't heard it, but I can tell you I have the D18 with the Hiface 2 and it is a great combination. The D18 sounds good when driven from standard optical out but the Hiface 2 takes it to a whole other level. Highly recommended.

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #169 of 562
BTW, M2Tech has released an update of  Hiface2 ' firmware early this week
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #170 of 562
Quote:
BTW, M2Tech has released an update of  Hiface2 ' firmware early this week
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip but it is a driver update not firmware. They told me it was to improve compatibility with Windows. Any other changes so far they are not talking. When I installed it today I noticed a slightly smoother/sweeter high frequency response with no lose in detail. The effect is a bit more overall transparency. The change is slight but noticeable on my setup. I really think this device is a remarkable value.

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #171 of 562
Quote:
Thanks for the tip but it is a driver update not firmware. They told me it was to improve compatibility with Windows. Any other changes so far they are not talking. When I installed it today I noticed a slightly smoother/sweeter high frequency response with no lose in detail. The effect is a bit more overall transparency. The change is slight but noticeable on my setup. I really think this device is a remarkable value.

Chodi,

To compare notes, what Buffer settings are you using ?  USB Steaming Mode and Asio Buffer Size? on the Hiface 2 control panel....

Many thanks

Sep 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #173 of 562
Quote:

Chodi,

To compare notes, what Buffer settings are you using ?  USB Steaming Mode and Asio Buffer Size? on the Hiface 2 control panel....

Many thanks

I have it set on "Standard" streaming mode and 2048 samples (default). I am using Windows 7x64 with an i7 3770 and 8gig of memory so those setting are not going to cause any issue for me. I use Foobar and have it set to load each selection I play into memory automatically so it reduces latency to an insignificant issue (only takes a second). Honestly I think the Hiface Two with this latest software does as much as anyone could ask of a usb converter. What I think they accomplished with this update was to remove some very slight edge in the upper frequency (we are talking very small edge that was barely noticeable on some recordings). After all, the whole point of the transport is to not color the sound and I think they have accomplished that in spades.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #174 of 562
Quote:
I have it set on "Standard" streaming mode and 2048 samples (default). I am using Windows 7x64 with an i7 3770 and 8gig of memory so those setting are not going to cause any issue for me. I use Foobar and have it set to load each selection I play into memory automatically so it reduces latency to an insignificant issue (only takes a second). Honestly I think the Hiface Two with this latest software does as much as anyone could ask of a usb converter. What I think they accomplished with this update was to remove some very slight edge in the upper frequency (we are talking very small edge that was barely noticeable on some recordings). After all, the whole point of the transport is to not color the sound and I think they have accomplished that in spades.

Thanks for the above!

I am on Win 7 64bits i5-560M Vaio Laptop using Jriver 17, I need to have it on "Safe" streaming to avoid clicks and pops. My samples are 1024 but I think this is moot. On "Minimum Latency" streaming, I have notice a much cleaner clearer sound, slightly more resolution but the non-stop clicking and popping is unbearable.

Having said that the upgraded drivers have, and I am in total agreement, removed the edge/shrillness of the upper frequencies. This is very noticeable especially with the HD800. The music is now exhibiting more finesse and delicacy. I think it has also added more texture to the bass especially decay of notes! This has further enhance the perception of soundstage.

The HiFace 2 is definitely one of the best bang for the buck tweaks that I have encountered in this hobby of ours!

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #176 of 562
Quote:
Your pops and clicks only between tracks or also while music is playing?

While music is playing. It is only on 'Safe' streaming that the pops and clicks are eliminated! Hence, my choice of using Safe streaming. I am using a powered usb hub exclusively for the HiFace, which brought on a nice sonic improvement, making images more palpable.........

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #177 of 562
Quote:

While music is playing. It is only on 'Safe' streaming that the pops and clicks are eliminated! Hence, my choice of using Safe streaming. I am using a powered usb hub exclusively for the HiFace, which brought on a nice sonic improvement, making images more palpable.........

Yes I also have mine on a powered hub and it does help. I would not be concerned that you have to choose Safe streaming. That is simply a function of your hardware. I have a pretty high end desktop so my computer is not working at all to run these programs.

Sep 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #178 of 562
Quote:
Yes I also have mine on a powered hub and it does help. I would not be concerned that you have to choose Safe streaming. That is simply a function of your hardware. I have a pretty high end desktop so my computer is not working at all to run these programs.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #180 of 562
I set it as minimum latency / 512 samples and I am very happy with the performance. PC is a W7 64 bits with 4Gb, the computer even is a quad core is a little bit older, the only changes I did in the OS is disabling aero and all energy-saving options. Player is foobar and also from RAM (with file buffering or ramdisk component).

What kind of powered hubs do you use? reading your comments it seems to increase even more the result...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back