M-Stage Matrix for low impedance cans + HD650?
Aug 16, 2011 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mrksgrn

Head-Fier
I've been lurking unregistered here for a long time and the talks here have helped me greatly. I was hoping to advice here in light of ordering a M-Stage Matrix that's on the way to me as we speak.

My final setup will be
Computer > HRT Music Streamer II > M-Stage Matrix > ATH-PRO700 / HD650

Firstly, I was hoping to know whether the M-stage will drive and make the low impedance ATH PRO700 (32 ohms) sound good. I'd appreciate anecdotal reports on M-stage driving other low impedance cans and the resulting performance. 

Secondly, I would also like to know whether the HRT MSII + M-Stage will sound good with the HD650. Anecdotal reports and comments are welcomed.

Thank you all in advanced.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 17
Not sure if you're gonna like that last set up-who knows. The m-Stage is very slightly warm...the MRT 2 is soft and warm...the HD650 is very laidback and warm...sounds like you may have just discovered the poor man's LCD-2 lol. You might consider rolling in a BRIGHT opamp and some silver interconnects to counter some of that. Either way, it'll be interesting to hear the results!!

-Daniel

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 17
I have a MSII+ and I'm interested to hear this, as I'm trying to find an amp to go with my shiny new AD900's. For the AD900 the Schiit Asgard seems like a better match  (low output impedance on the Schiit?) but the line out on the M-Stage is also really attractive to me.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
I have a MSII+ and I'm interested to hear this, as I'm trying to find an amp to go with my shiny new AD900's. For the AD900 the Schiit Asgard seems like a better match  (low output impedance on the Schiit?) but the line out on the M-Stage is also really attractive to me.

I was also taking a very hard look at the asgard but every review I read seemed to favor the M-stage more in terms of SS, smoothness, and power among others so I figured it was the way to go. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
I was also taking a very hard look at the asgard but every review I read seemed to favor the M-stage more in terms of SS, smoothness, and power among others so I figured it was the way to go. 

I think what I, and probably the OP, is a little wary of is that a lot of reviews that seems to put the M-Stage on top, are when paired with some higher impedance cans. Mike's opinion at Headfonia, and also the 6moons review, seems to indicate that it does well with really low impedance cans, like the OPs Pro700 (32ohm) or my AD900 (35ohm).

Apart from Mike at Headfonia I don't know of anyone who has directly compared the Asgard and the M-Stage on low impedance cans. The general consensus seems to be "the M-Stage doesn't really care what impedance its connected to", and while it seems like a versatile amp if I don't plan on getting any orthodynamics in the near future I'd just love to know what the comparison would be.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:

I think what I, and probably the OP, is a little wary of is that a lot of reviews that seems to put the M-Stage on top, are when paired with some higher impedance cans. Mike's opinion at Headfonia, and also the 6moons review, seems to indicate that it does well with really low impedance cans, like the OPs Pro700 (32ohm) or my AD900 (35ohm).

Apart from Mike at Headfonia I don't know of anyone who has directly compared the Asgard and the M-Stage on low impedance cans. The general consensus seems to be "the M-Stage doesn't really care what impedance its connected to", and while it seems like a versatile amp if I don't plan on getting any orthodynamics in the near future I'd just love to know what the comparison would be.

I did the comparison on my D7000. The Matrix was much more involving had tremendous slam and inner detail that the Asgard could only wish for. Synergy was perfect so much so I probably will pick up another one as it was that good. The thing about the Matrix is was good with whatever cans I used them with and very special and a better amp IMO and plays well above the price point.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 17
AT's love the M-Stage, as do HD580/6x0.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 17
The M-Stage has an output impedance of 5 ohms. . . so probably not the best match with low impedance headphones. . . 

My Setup is MSII -> M-Stage -> HD 650 and I sure like it. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
The M-Stage has an output impedance of 5 ohms. . . so probably not the best match with low impedance headphones. . . 

My Setup is MSII -> M-Stage -> HD 650 and I sure like it. 

LMAO It is terrific with the 25 ohm D7000 and I have not heard any amp including the Concerto I owned do better than the Matrix
biggrin.gif
Have you heard any low impedance can with it?

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 17
Only my trusty HD 485's (32 ohm) and NE-6's (16 ohm). :p 

5 ohms into 25 ohms is not advisable. I'm not sure it matters much though. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 17
I agree with Frank-there are many users having great results with the Denons and m-Stage. A great synergy there, and at the other side of the spectrum, Project86 has stated that it is one of the best amps at ANY price for the HD 800. So obviously pairs well with all sorts of cans, which is obvious based on all the reviews here. I've used it with great results with every can I've thrown at it, low and high impedance alike! Truly one of the best bang for the buck ss amps around.

-Daniel

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #13 of 17
Someone needs to compare it to the Little Dot MKV, I can't decide which one to get :D

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Someone needs to compare it to the Little Dot MKV, I can't decide which one to get
biggrin.gif

When i asked david ZHEXHE at Little dot the Little Dot Mk1 was it recommended he told me the MKV would not be good with the D7000. I can tell you the matrix was a huge step up over my Little Dot Mk2. I also have a WTB add in the FS section for a Matrix

Aug 18, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 17
I need to get myself another m-Stage myself, Frank. I've sold 2 different ones already mainly for financial reasons, but also for getting different and more expensive amps but I always come back to that one it seems! Which probably goes to show that the m-Stage really is as good as any amp worth $750 or less because that's about as far as I've gone so far lol.The next amp I get will be over $1000 because I'm not entirely convinced the m-Stage can be soundly beaten until that point. I would LOVE to try the Violectric V200 and hopefully keep that as my 'final' ss amp while I gather funds for a higher end Decware or Eddie Current for the final tube side of things. My .02

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back