M-Audio Q40 Vs. PRO700 MK2- Quest For The Best Bass
May 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

esus78

New Head-Fier

I listen to songs I download from itunes and Right now I have a setup of my ipod touch and my zo personal subwoofer amp. I have a goal of getting the bassiest headphone ever made. I have the M50s right now but was wonderin if there was something bassier. I listen to alot of top 40, hiphop/rap, dubstep, and Dance music.

I want the headphone that not only has the best bass but more so the one that I can feel the most. To be more specific, I want a bass a 'phone that has the best of both worlds if thats possible. I like the pounding mid bass against my head but I also like the rumbling deep bass that courses through your body.  I'm looking for the the headphone that is superdynamic where I can feel the bass, but also the crystal clear highs. I want quantity and quality if thats possible becuase I hate distorted bass unless its dubstep or something. The one that will shake your whole head. Thanks in advance for your expert opinion!
L3000.gif

May 31, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 22
Do head-fi a huge favor and get both and give a review, this will also give you the definite answer so it's not necessarily wasted money in case you can afford to do so of course and you can always either return or sell the one you like less.

May 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 22
I haven't had any experience with either of these headphones, but this review and its comments make the pro700mk2 seem like the end-all answer for bass heads.

May 31, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
I haven't had any experience with either of these headphones, but this review and its comments make the pro700mk2 seem like the end-all answer for bass heads.

Not necessarily ALL bassheads and it's just one source and can't fully be trusted the way it writes about the M50 as a comparision. Need more feedback before being able to make any conclusions. The midrange is commented as being somewhat recessed, I like bass but I also like as forward as possible midrange and dislike bassy cans with V-shaped frequency response for example and rather see highs be recessed then as well and not only mids.

May 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 22
i cant speak for the pro7000 as i havent experienced them, but i will attest that the q40s have very big bass. if youre looking for impact, then i can fully recommend the q40s. The detail is not a great as my d2000s or dt770s, but if you really want to feel the bass along with hearing it, the q40s are amazing for the price. I also added dt770 velour pads to them and it turned it up to a whole new level, both in comfort and isolation (creating even bigger bass) 

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 22
based on your new list i think its a matter of money. pro900s go for about 300 used while q40s go for around 80. i have no doubt the pro900s would out perform the q40s, but its over 3 times the price. if youre willing to spend the cash i say the pro900 is a no contest winner for what you want

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 22
Wonder if Q40 sounds as great as this graph would suggest from a basshead's point of view, just tone down a bit the peak around 10kHz and you should have a nice sound that isn't V-shaped like most bassy headphones and looks to have a reasonable gap between the lows and mids which helps against midrange bleed. The bass looks very similar to that of Pro900 in strength and shape of the curve but since highs are rolled off slightly on this Q40 vs Pro900 which has significantly boosted highs might make Q40 bassier sounding overall. In fact this Q40 looks very much like the Pro900 except for the highs which is like an inverted Pro900 high-range which to me personally is more of a plus than disadvantage. :p

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/m-audio-studiophile-q40.shtml&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dixbt%2BM-Audio%2BQ40%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Compare Pro 900

Would be interesting with a Q40 vs PRO700MK2 comparision as they are quite similarly priced.

Wow, Q40 can be had for 99 EUR here in Finland not bad, I didn't even expect to find them. Will have to think about possibly ordering a pair tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back