M-Audio Q40 vs Creative Aurvana Live!
Jul 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 15
Don't have experience with both but the Q40's are amazing headphones for only $100. Plus, they were just recently discontinued.... better make a decision fast!

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 15
I wouldn't call the CAL! bass heavy. The CAL!'s bass is entry level by basshead standard. The Q40 is the way to go if you want a true basshead headphone.

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 15
Got them both.  Like the CAL a lot but no contest, Q40 is to me much better overall, and bass is amazing. 

Now, full disclosure - I have Mr. Speakers Alpha pads on the Q40's so they are uber comfy and sound amazing.  But I've tried 9 other pads on the Q40 and I'd say they would beat the CAL regardless.   Look at my sig - the Q40 hangs with any on that list.  That is saying something. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Got them both.  Like the CAL a lot but no contest, Q40 is to me much better overall, and bass is amazing. 

Now, full disclosure - I have Mr. Speakers Alpha pads on the Q40's so they are uber comfy and sound amazing.  But I've tried 9 other pads on the Q40 and I'd say they would beat the CAL regardless.   Look at my sig - the Q40 hangs with any on that list.  That is saying something. 

+1. I honestly don't understand how incredibly underrated these cans are...

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
+1. I honestly don't understand how incredibly underrated these cans are...

Ditto bud!  Well, at least we know.  And if they were priced as we value them, maybe $250? 

Jul 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 15
Literally the only thing keeping them from standing solid as $300 headphone is the lack of swivel, IMO. heheh, I whine about it a lot because I had issues getting a seal behind my ear with the stock pads, but it isn't an issue with the Alpha pads at least due to the angle. Or the 840's due to the depth and narrow shape.

To the OP: Basically, get the Q40's and buy different pads.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 15
The good news is you can do a Pad upgrade for $12 (Shure 840) and a cable upgrade for $12 (V-Moda audio only) on the Q40. And have yourself one heckuva good phone. Or spring for the $60 Alpha pad upgrade and live the dream.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 15
So the Q40's have been discontinued for sure? They are still available on the manufacturer website?

Also, Oregonian, I recently purchased the HTF600's. I'd love to hear a comparison as to how they stack up sound/enjoyment-wise and comfort wise against all the other cans in your sig :) Do they get much of your listen time?

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #14 of 15
So the Q40's have been discontinued for sure? They are still available on the manufacturer website?

Also, Oregonian, I recently purchased the HTF600's. I'd love to hear a comparison as to how they stack up sound/enjoyment-wise and comfort wise against all the other cans in your sig :) Do they get much of your listen time?

Sadly they get zero head time. Comfort wise they are probably better than the M100's and equal to CAL and the rest are better than the Panasonic. I have the Beyer velour pads on it by the way. Sound wise is the issue. Not that they are bad but they are not as good as any of my other phones. And i have too many phones listen worthy and not enough headphone time. They just hang there on my headphone stand minding their own business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back