M-Audio Fast Track Ultra vs Fiio e7 DAC
Nov 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

UprightMan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all... i have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro soundcard and wondering how it compares to the Fiio E7 as a DAC?  I *think* the Ultra is would be better... but wondering if anyone knows...  the Ultra does so much more am wondering if a dedicated DAC would be better for listening (only) situations.

While we are at it how would it compare to the Fiio F9 as well?  I'm primarly running it for my Senn HD 580's.

Link for Ultra - http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 6
I, too, am interested in this

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Having an e7 and possibly getting a fast track ultra for studio use, I will try and let you guys know. You probably don't need this answer any longer, but I will try and answer anyways.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 18, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 6
NwAvGuy is apparently going to publish a review of some pro USB audio interfaces, which should be very interesting.

FWIW, I have the Fast Track Ultra, and I have measured the output impedance of the headphone output at about 2.5 ohms, which is pretty good. (if my measurement is accurate - I'm sure it won't be as accurate as NwAvGuy's!).  However, it only puts out about 1V RMS (this is the spec, and I've verified it with a measurement), which isn't nearly enough for my AKG K601s. It would be about 105dB SPL for the Q701, which may be enough for some folks. (it would NOT be enough for me)  

I think it would be best to stick to low impedance headphones when directly connected to the FTU. Otherwise, use an amp connected to the line outs.

I don't have opinion to offer on the subtle details of the sound of the headphone output, or for that matter, the amped sound of the line outs.

Greg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back