LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #1,381 of 1,793
Now that 2020 is over, I can honestly say that the LZ A7 is my personal top IEM of 2020! This is based on tuning, technicalities, fit, versatility, fun/enjoyment factor, naturalness, and of course price. I also say this b/c if I could only keep one IEM for enjoyment, it would be the LZ A7.

Edit: I should add that I am not the biggest stickler for natural timbre and coherency. I also use it to listen to any genre of music.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,382 of 1,793
Now that 2020 is over, I can honestly say that the LZ A7 is my personal top IEM of 2020! This is based on tuning, technicalities, fit, versatility, fun/enjoyment factor, naturalness, and of course price. I also say this b/c if I could only keep one IEM for enjoyment, it would be the LZ A7.
👍I switch back to Silver/Monitor after gotten the DQs.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #1,383 of 1,793

Edit: I should add that I am not the biggest stickler for natural timbre and coherency. I also use it to listen to any genre of music.
Yes to all of what you said. My only observation is that if I listened primarily to classical music these may not be my first choice. For classical I tend to pull out the FLC8D. Most classical music has little low end; and for the upper end I think piezo super tweeters aren't perfect for violins, etc. Better than most, but a classic 1 DD 2 BA approach like the FLC may actually work out better.

Now if you put on a organ concerto or something like Carmina Burana which has quite a bit of low drums....these are a great choice.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,384 of 1,793
+1 I agree that the A7 is a top tier IEM and deserves a top spot on that list, too!

But, then again, I can't help but realize that I don't agree with half of what's on that list with its ranking and sound signatures. That just shows that one is better off getting many reviews from a group of reviewers. For example, through head-fi.org, it is safe to say that on one earphone I can get a lot more information then letting one person from another website tell you that it is worth the money, sound, or what not by his personal thoughts and ratings. I am a US citizen working and living in China for many years and I've tried more than half of those earphones from that website. There are many headphone shops here where I can easily try them. That's why I don't just rely on one persons review, but many to make my own decision to purchase an IEM, whether it's branded or DIY. Now, whether I can afford them, or not? That depends on how much am I willing to spend.

So, if I may speak freely, I believe in more honest reviews coming from a group of reviewers like "you guys" then to rely on just one person from another website. Then, I can make a proper decision if that IEM is right for me, or not.

...and I agree with most reviews here that the LZ A7 is a top tier IEM. They are clearly that good for the price when compared to other reputably branded and highly praised DIY earphones.In

-Clear :handshake:
In the US we can't audition IEMs. Basically retailers sell a few brands, and mainly those that probably pay to get on shelves. And none of those retailers demo anything.

So unless for some reason you become known as a guru you don't get free samples to test. I don't want to put the time and energy to be considered a guru. Besides forking out cash, the only way to get IEMs to test is to buy and return on Amazon, which does not seem right. Or participate in tours but there are not many of those going on.

In the olden days we had a few people that the vendors liked who were kind enough to create mini tours of their demo units. But they are no longer hanging out here.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #1,385 of 1,793
the only way to get IEMs to test is to buy and return on Amazon, which does not seem right
Why not..? There is always a return policy, with a store like that. And don't forget eBae, my preferred option! <3

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #1,386 of 1,793

Agree, being stranded on an island, the A7 is the one I keep. Cant beat that versatility.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,387 of 1,793
The more I break the LZ A7 in the better it sounds. Clarity is superb and the timbre from the piezzo drivers is very enjoyable and unexpectedly good. I'm using a fairly inexpensive 8 core KBear 4.4mm copper cable. I've left mine on the black/monitor setting to get a consistent sound. Clearly an exceptional IEM.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,388 of 1,793
My only observation is that if I listened primarily to classical music these may not be my first choice. For classical I tend to pull out the FLC8D. Most classical music has little low end; and for the upper end I think piezo super tweeters aren't perfect for violins, etc.
I fully agree. Timbral accuracy with some instruments (violins) is its main weakness.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,389 of 1,793
I fully agree. Timbral accuracy with some instruments (violins) is its main weakness.
and dont forget that faceplate!

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #1,390 of 1,793
Jan 27, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #1,392 of 1,793
Why not..? There is always a return policy, with a store like that. And don't forget eBae, my preferred option! <3
Well I guess everybody has their own approach. I had a small online business for a while, and returns are really difficult on the small vendor. So the approach you seem okay with is not the way I would want to go.

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #1,393 of 1,793
So the approach you seem okay with is not the way I would want to go.
It's not ideal, sure. But it's the only option, really, and luckily in the hifi audio world when you buy quality gear it always sells at top dollar. :) I've not yet had any significant losses, from trying to sell something I've tried. It's been great!

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #1,394 of 1,793
It's not ideal, sure. But it's the only option, really, and luckily in the hifi audio world when you buy quality gear it always sells at top dollar. :) I've not yet had any significant losses, from trying to sell something I've tried. It's been great!
Oh I am very cool with buying then selling it yourself on ebay. No issues there at all.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #1,395 of 1,793
Well I guess everybody has their own approach. I had a small online business for a while, and returns are really difficult on the small vendor. So the approach you seem okay with is not the way I would want to go.
I don’t feel so bad returning to Amazon when reasonable, but still have personal standards on what I think is appropriate (ear tips....just no, yuck 🤢). The small business is very different. While it is nice to have the return policy of Amazon, for any defects or dislikes, once the return period is over, you’re on your own. For pricier items, I really like the small online businesses with good customer service. Not only do I want to support them, but they‘re more beneficial in the long run, if I have questions, or need warranty service, or even out-of-warranty help. You get none of that from Bezos.

Sorry OT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back