LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,306 of 1,793
The Tri I3 was large and ungainly. Besides the cool but overdone bass; the i3 felt huge in my ears. I only had them for a few days then returned them because they simply were not a keeper for me.

The LZ A7 is more of a medium size. Not perfectly comfortable but pretty good. Will modded filters they are even more comfortable; but most people will be using stock filters.

Funny but too small can be a problem also. I had a pair of the Carbo Tenores that went way too far into my ear canal. I constantly had to use tweezers to get the tips out of my ear canal.

Everybody's ears are different. My standard for comfort are the FLC8 series; but I like the A7 sound a bit more so that is the trade-off. I am just happy to be down to two IEMs right now. Of course, who knows how long that might last.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,307 of 1,793
I recall seeing it at $238 USD on 11/11 after coupon gymnastics, but that particular seller apparently scammed a few folks here by claiming it was out of stock and didn't ship it out (but swallowed their coupons). $267 is still quite a good deal IMO, it is usually north of $300.
Yes I remember that deal and it just went out of stock suddenly. Arrrr, I guess I really should pull the trigger this time.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,309 of 1,793
@peter123

That looks interesting! Do you mind sharing where you got the little foam piece?

AliExpress :wink:
Screenshot_20210111-184747_AliExpress.jpg

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #1,311 of 1,793
@peter123

That looks interesting! Do you mind sharing where you got the little foam piece?
I also tried those foams previously. Since they are 100 pieces, you can ask him to give you 50 whites and 50 blacks. I later changed my mind and I recommend now a single piece of white foam in the black filter.
My previous post:
My foam filters arrived today from this store: https://a.aliexpress.com/_B00KPt
They are quite expensive but I'm just too tired of cutting uneven chunks of foams by myself, so I decided to give it a try.
1607111365753.png
There's two options: black and white. The white one is actually more like a sponge (less density) and the black one feels like your regular foam.
1607111502339.png
The size actually fits perfectly to the black nozzle. I need near 3 pieces of the white one to make the dampening effect even to the black one. I recommend the black one because of the density; a single little piece of this black foam got the job done instead of using 3 white sponge chunks.
It is actually denser than the foams that I have used previously, and the effect is quite apparent with it. Pushing the foam to the top of the nozzle didn't add an inmense quantity of bass; it only tamed down some high mid peaks. Now I can turn the volume of my Ibasso DX160 on high gain from 35 to 40 without hearing any sibilance, and the soundstage is quite differenciable on black-pop compared to blue and silver nozzle that still has the piece of cloth on the entrance.

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,313 of 1,793
Wow, just wow. My A7's arrived a day earlier than expected and I can't take them out of my ears. I have to work tomorrow so I need sleep, but maybe just one more song and then sleep. Dang that songs over.....maybe one more song?!? 😂

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #1,314 of 1,793
I really am impressed with the A7's the more I listen to them. I love how they're tuned and how the different filters all sound great. I felt like the A4, 5 and 6 all only had one filter that sounded "correct" to my ears, but the 7 sounds great using all of the filters. I decided to start with the red filter and work my way up, and am now on black/pop. So far, I think gold/monitor is my favorite, but haven't settled on one yet. I LOVE red/pop with electronic music and black/monitor with rock. I feel like the gold is so versatile with most music though and keep coming back to that. Thank you all for all of your thoughts and comments on the A7! I am seriously happy that I purchased them for sure.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,315 of 1,793
I hope i haven't asked you this already but can you compare them to the ISN H40? That's another sub $500 (sub $200 actually) set that some people claim is paddling in the TOTL pool and both are sets i am considering.

See my post :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lz-a7-iems-impressions-and-reviews-thread.938134/post-16020291

H40, once lows tamed, compete with A7.
It's got little more living and natural sound to my ears.

The great feature of A7 over H40 is spacialization, localisation, 3D effect.

I love both, you will be happy whatever your choice.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #1,316 of 1,793
I recall seeing it at $238 USD on 11/11 after coupon gymnastics, but that particular seller apparently scammed a few folks here by claiming it was out of stock and didn't ship it out (but swallowed their coupons). $267 is still quite a good deal IMO, it is usually north of $300.

Get mine for 200€ on 11.11 AE's sales, with coupons. A real bargain !

Initialy go to catch a pair of NM2+ but can't resist when saw A7 at this price....

Seller was NiceHCK audio store. Just take a look now and see them at 215€.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,317 of 1,793
See my post :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lz-a7-iems-impressions-and-reviews-thread.938134/post-16020291

H40, once lows tamed, compete with A7.
It's got little more living and natural sound to my ears.

The great feature of A7 over H40 is spacialization, localisation, 3D effect.

I love both, you will be happy whatever your choice.

Thanks, do you mean the H40 has a more natural sound? What did you do to tame the bass on your set?
Which has a bigger sound stage/separation?
What do you mean by spacialization, localisation, 3D effect???

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,318 of 1,793
I recognize that I have brought this up before, but it still puzzles me.

Crinnacle does a pretty good job of IEM measurements. I am not sure I always agree with his overall views of IEMs, but he seems to overall be a credible source. So how is it that he has managed to not review or discuss this particular unit? I think its hard not to put this unit in the top 10 list for 2020, and arguably in the top 3 or better. Is he only focused on units he gets for free? Why does he have the whole Patreon deal going if not to purchase popular well regarded units?

The reason for my beef it that I tend to look at lists that provide useful rankings that can be sorted by various qualities and prices. I look for units with high overall ranking and modest prices. Yet this particular unit is not available to this kind of search.

I have posted this question on his discussion threads but never received any useful response. I mean I have the unit but I would think that others would want to look at it relative to other units he has reviewed and ranked.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,319 of 1,793

Crinnacle does a pretty good job of IEM measurements. I am not sure I always agree with his overall views of IEMs, but he seems to overall be a credible source. So how is it that he has managed to not review or discuss this particular unit? I think its hard not to put this unit in the top 10 list for 2020, and arguably in the top 3 or better. Is he only focused on units he gets for free? Why does he have the whole Patreon deal going if not to purchase popular well regarded units?

The reason for my beef it that I tend to look at lists that provide useful rankings that can be sorted by various qualities and prices. I look for units with high overall ranking and modest prices. Yet this particular unit is not available to this kind of search.

I have posted this question on his discussion threads but never received any useful response. I mean I have the unit but I would think that others would want to look at it relative to other units he has reviewed and ranked.
I mean he doesnt have the A6 either and his ranking list has 471 iems and yet only 21 of them are his own personal units.

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #1,320 of 1,793

He did livestream his iem ranking not too long ago and said that he did not like this set and that his review might upset quite a few people once he decides to release it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back