LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Jan 8, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,276 of 1,793
So you tried it? How do you like it?
I gave your settings a go but I found it to be a bit hit and miss with some genres. Accoustic guitar did sound beautiful and I will say clarity did gain a nice boost. But I felt on some of my songs, it felt a bit thin and missing a bit of substance. I'll still use it when listening to acoustic music but I think a bit more work could be done go get a good sound profile that can fit every genre.

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,278 of 1,793
I'm looking forward to having my pair of A7's arrive on Wednesday so I can hear what the fuss is all about, haha.
I own and love the A6 so much that I semi-retired from headfi for over a year, but got drawn back in by all of the praise for the A7.
I'm looking forward to comparing them!

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,279 of 1,793
I'm looking forward to having my pair of A7's arrive on Wednesday so I can hear what the fuss is all about, haha.
I own and love the A6 so much that I semi-retired from headfi for over a year, but got drawn back in by all of the praise for the A7.
I'm looking forward to comparing them!
just so you know, they are VERY different from the A6. But they complement each other perfectly. One is unique (A6) and the other is natural (A7).

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,280 of 1,793
just so you know, they are VERY different from the A6. But they complement each other perfectly. One is unique (A6) and the other is natural (A7).
That's awesome to hear. I LOVE the A6 for being fun and exciting, but would really be happy if the A7 were a little more subdued and natural. I'm hoping they can coexist and not have the A7 just be a replacement.

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,281 of 1,793
That's awesome to hear. I LOVE the A6 for being fun and exciting, but would really be happy if the A7 were a little more subdued and natural. I'm hoping they can coexist and not have the A7 just be a replacement.
Sounds like you hit the jackpot then. :thumbsup:

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #1,282 of 1,793
I received the custom tuned BGVP filters, courtesy of @tgx78. To me, they sound ideal, and I may just be leaving them on indefinitely, and putting the stock filters away. I like it both in Monitor mode, if I want more note weight with thicker lower mids, and in Pop mode, if I want a lighter, airier, thinner sound. I haven‘t done critical comparisons with the other nozzles yet, but I kind of don’t feel the need to. Based off of limited memory, FWIW, I think the upper mids are similar to the gold nozzle, but the treble is similar to the silver nozzle. There is clear, crisp treble, with good upper treble air. The mids are full and natural sounding, with good clarity, but w/o any shoutiness or upper midrange glare. I liked the sound of the gold nozzles, except that the rolled off treble sounded too dark for my tastes.

As much as I like the sound, I think there may be even more non-sonic advantages to the BGVP filters. First off, since it’s an empty nozzle, then filled with dried alcohol swabs in a circumferential manner, I would guess that it should not have problems with developing channel imbalances due to humidity, since there are no filters to clog. The nozzles are also smaller, so this should help those that have had issues with the stock nozzles being too large, particularly in length. While the stock nozzles fit me fine, the issue I had with them was due to the length. I really like using the Eartune U elliptical ear tips with the LZ A7, but they are small and shallow ear tips. The end of the stock nozzles were almost completely flush with the end of the ear tips. While I suppose this would minimize or completely neutralize any effect that the ear tips would have on the sound, it just bothers me having the nozzles protrude so much. Lastly, it is MUCH easier to put on and take off ear tips from the BGVP filters compared to the stock LZ A7 filters. I couple of times I was almost sure I was going to rip the ear tip trying to pull it off the stock nozzles.

Here are some pics.
D1C6D144-3EC6-4496-838A-54C301A67332.jpeg

2B3772B0-923D-4670-B20A-9DFCD1131130.jpeg

Stock nozzle on the right.
3E96A9DA-D5ED-499B-AE2C-F6845F799C11.jpeg

Stock nozzle on the left.
1E5BF25C-0A0A-4728-86E7-10CEC34B629E.jpeg

The one thing nicer about the stock nozzles is the rubber O-ring. I need to find some for the BGVP nozzle. They‘re not necessary, but are a nice touch.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,283 of 1,793
I also am fortunate to have and enjoy the TGX78 modded filters. It is difficult to give an exact comparison; mainly because I had to use different tips. On the regular filters, the nozzle is fairly long and I have used the Azla tips. The modded filters have shorter nozzles, and my old standby tips work better. Those are the JVC Spiral Dots. So any comparisons require a grain of salt or two just because of the tips changes.

My typical filter choice had been black with monitor. I would regard the treble to be quite present, though these are no slouch in the bass department either. With the modded filters, treble is smoothed a bit and bass is also smoothed just a tad. So you end up with a very mellow listen. Both are great, but for now I am sticking with the modded filters.

Its almost like comparing a great Cabernet to a great Pinot. What's not to like with either? I think of the black filters as the Cab (a bit stronger) and the TGX78 filters as the Pinot.

Hats off to TGX78. When you get tired of photography there is a second career in audio design.

Jan 10, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #1,284 of 1,793
Haha very nice. I am actually a painter (visual art) even though I enjoy photography as well. I am glad you guys are enjoying the filter as much as I do and really appreciate your feedback!

Kudos to LZ who always designed his IEMs to be incredibly versatile and mod friendly.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #1,285 of 1,793
Haha very nice. I am actually a painter (visual art) even though I enjoy photography as well. I am glad you guys are enjoying the filter as much as I do and really appreciate your feedback!

Kudos to LZ who always designed his IEMs to be incredibly versatile and mod friendly.
The designer’s initials are LZ? I was wondering how the name came about.

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #1,289 of 1,793
damn... I just bought it few minutes ago. Will this be the entrance of that rabbit hole?😂😂😂

Probably.

But another view point is that getting the LZ A7 might actually close the rabbithole for some IMO. Truly, the LZ A7 can be endgame for quite a few, due to the versatility (10 tuning signatures - or even more if u have aftermarket nozzles) and it scores high marks in tonality, timbre and technicalities and fit/isolation. I've tried auditioning some TOTL sets recently, and I do think they are just a bit better than the LZ A7 as a package (maybe 10 - 30% improvement), but these TOTL sets costs 3 - 5 times more at least. I do feel the LZ A7 hits the sweet spot in this hobby. Any higher up the ladder you go will be tremendous diminishing returns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back