LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Dec 2, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,681 of 1,793
Why would anybody want to turn a 300$ IEM into a 27$ IEM? :thinking:
It turns it into an upgrade for it. There are plenty of people that want that.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,682 of 1,793
It turns it into an upgrade for it. There are plenty of people that want that.
There has to be a cheaper way... One that doesn't involve an irreversible mod of a 300$ IEM.

BTW, how come LZ A7 is not a clear upgrade over DQ6 already? Especially with all the tuning options.

Dec 3, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,683 of 1,793
There has to be a cheaper way... One that doesn't involve an irreversible mod of a 300$ IEM.
I have not found anything that shares the DQ6 traits as far as I know. (other than perhaps the UM 3DT, but that is more expensive than the A7 at 350 usd.)
The mod COULD be reversed by putting some mesh (without damping) though, as the stock mesh that I am removing (destroying) doesnt have any damping in it.

BTW, how come LZ A7 is not a clear upgrade over DQ6 already? Especially with all the tuning options.
It does have better tech, but what i say when I mean an upgrade specifically for the DQ6, is that it is sharing its traits. Its not close enough that I would call the pop-black + tuning foams a "true" upgrade to the DQ6, but it is the closest I have heard.

For example, a "true" upgrade is something like going from the Blon BL-03 to the Sony XBA-N3.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #1,684 of 1,793
I have not found anything that shares the DQ6 traits as far as I know. (other than perhaps the UM 3DT, but that is more expensive than the A7 at 350 usd.)
The mod COULD be reversed by putting some mesh (without damping) though, as the stock mesh that I am removing (destroying) doesnt have any damping in it.

It does have better tech, but what i say when I mean an upgrade specifically for the DQ6, is that it is sharing its traits. Its not close enough that I would call the pop-black + tuning foams a "true" upgrade to the DQ6, but it is the closest I have heard.

For example, a "true" upgrade is something like going from the Blon BL-03 to the Sony XBA-N3.
Sorry if I am not following some nuance, but I think that the original response had to do with potential absurdity in changing the LZ A7 (~$300) to make it an upgrade of the DQ6 (~$30). If the A7 isn’t already an upgrade of the DQ6, then that is probably the headline right there…. :) Again, maybe I am missing something…

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,685 of 1,793
Sorry if I am not following some nuance, but I think that the original response had to do with potential absurdity in changing the LZ A7 (~$300) to make it an upgrade of the DQ6 (~$30). If the A7 isn’t already an upgrade of the DQ6, then that is probably the headline right there…. :) Again, maybe I am missing something…
IMO, there are 2 kinds of "upgrades.

1. Just a regular tech upgrade, that is that the tech is better in one of them but they are tonally very different. Like a high quality apple vs regular orange.

2. A "true" upgrade, that is that they are tonally similar as well as having better tech. Like a high quality apple vs regular apple.

Regular pop-red A7 is an (1) upgrade over the DQ6. But this mod is closer to a "true" upgrade (2) for the DQ6.

Dec 3, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,686 of 1,793
IMO, there are 2 kinds of "upgrades.

1. Just a regular tech upgrade, that is that the tech is better in one of them but they are tonally very different. Like a high quality apple vs regular orange.

2. A "true" upgrade, that is that they are tonally similar as well as having better tech. Like a high quality apple vs regular apple.

Regular pop-red A7 is an (1) upgrade over the DQ6. But this mod is closer to a "true" upgrade (2) for the DQ6.
So, the first place to start is to specifically call out that you feel the DQ6 is tonally either equal to or superior to the A7, and hence the A7 requires a mod to address that. If I understand that correctly, then that is the headline…

It is not to say that a $30 IEM cannot match or surpass the tonality of a $300 IEM… It is just that is likely to get readers’ attention and require some clarification…

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #1,687 of 1,793
I think it is just not tonality that is meant so just get the terms straight and you guys are good to go. :) Signature, presentation, or whatever terms. The DQ6 thing is not tonality which can be better or worse but something that is more preference. Maybe tonality being said but tonal balance being meant. They are not the same thing though. :)

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,688 of 1,793
So, the first place to start is to specifically call out that you feel the DQ6 is tonally either equal to or superior to the A7, and hence the A7 requires a mod to address that. If I understand that correctly, then that is the headline…

It is not to say that a $30 IEM cannot match or surpass the tonality of a $300 IEM… It is just that is likely to get readers’ attention and require some clarification…
Tonality has nothing to do with price. You can have an iem at 10000 usd be tonally worse than something at 20 usd, it all depends on the library you are using.

And no, I do take the A7 (pop-red) over the DQ6 (modded with tuning foams), but it is still a very good tonality, is different and there are people that want an upgrade to that tonality.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #1,689 of 1,793
there are people that want an upgrade to that tonality
Just curious, how do you know there are many people want to "upgrade" LZ A7 black nozzle pop setting to DQ6?

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #1,690 of 1,793
Just curious, how do you know there are many people want to "upgrade" LZ A7 black nozzle pop setting to DQ6?
Not the A7 specifically, but they want a DQ6 upgrade.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #1,691 of 1,793
Not the A7 specifically, but they want a DQ6 upgrade.
I see, so those people want a DQ6 upgrade.

After your posting I am also curious how this mod sounds like but it is too risky as it is irreversible and both black and gold nozzle are my favorite.

Dec 3, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,692 of 1,793
I see, so those people want a DQ6 upgrade.

After your posting I am also curious how this mod sounds like but it is too risky as it is irreversible and both black and gold nozzle are my favorite.
Yeah, I tried the mod on the blue filter first as the guinea pig. You could try it on the silver or blue filter first though. Then see if you want to do it on the black filter as they are pretty similar.

graph - 2021-12-03T234836.010.png

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,693 of 1,793
The taking all the filters inside the black filter and putting foam was a thing that I did since I first got them.
I felt that I kinda missed a bit the openess of the LZ A6 so I decided to try that aswel on the new nozzles.
I did the same thing @RikudouGoku mentioned with black + pop, and I feel that It really makes the whole thing more "out of the head" sounding and the tonality more pleasant overall. I'm a sucker for soundstage and details anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,694 of 1,793
Tonality has nothing to do with price. You can have an iem at 10000 usd be tonally worse than something at 20 usd, it all depends on the library you are using.
I don’t disagree with you - and I said as much: “It is not to say that a $30 IEM cannot match or surpass the tonality of a $300 IEM…”

But I also believe that when you say something is better than something 10x more expensive it will (a) get attention and (b) require some clarification. This discussion is a case in point…

FWIW, I own a couple of sub-$100 IEMs that I am convinced that to me are superior in tonality to other IEMs I own that are many hundreds of dollars more expensive. So, again, I am not disagreeing with the idea.

Dec 3, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,695 of 1,793
The taking all the filters inside the black filter and putting foam was a thing that I did since I first got them.
I felt that I kinda missed a bit the openess of the LZ A6 so I decided to try that aswel on the new nozzles.
I did the same thing @RikudouGoku mentioned with black + pop, and I feel that It really makes the whole thing more "out of the head" sounding and the tonality more pleasant overall. I'm a sucker for soundstage and details anyway.
Yes, I am aware of your mod (especially for the A6). Although, I am pretty sure you used some DIY materials you made yourself, rather than the ones you can just buy and use at once.

These:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002711483821.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back