LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #137 of 687
Dec 24, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #138 of 687
I've got a few days with the A6 mini, and I think they're awesome. Some of the strengths and drawbacks for me, the bad first.

Cons/annoyances:
  • Shells are a bit large, they aren't necessarily "uncomfortable" to me, but they don't have that effortless fit/comfort that you always hope to get. They are really light weight though, which is nice considering I've been using the extremely heavy Ikko OH10 a lot recently.
  • The cable sounds fine and looks like it will be durable, but it's extremely rubbery and the ear hooks are really rigid, which kind of makes the shells want to pop out of my ears (sort of the same thing that occurred with the BL03 and it's stock cable). So far I haven't found another one in my collection that'll fit with the shells (I got the 2 pin version). I still have a couple more cables I want to try though.
  • Differences in treble response from the different stock filters are too drastic, only the black one is usable to me. The blue one is pure treble murder, and the red one cuts the highs far too much. Right now I'm actually using the gold "balanced" filters from the SKC-CNT1, they seem a bit similar to the black filters, maybe makes things a bit less v-shaped. I'm lucky that I had another filter in my arsenal that works well.
  • Mids don't quite match up with the bass and treble in terms of texture and detail; male vocals in particular seem very "smooth" and "relaxed" relative to the detail provided in the treble range. There can be disconnects when you hear vividly presented female vocals (presumably handled by the piezo driver), and then hear more smooth and recessed male vocals. The other 2 IEMs I've been listening to the most this week, TRN BA5 and Ikko OH10, both have much better mids clarity and layering, so the A6 mini suffers by comparison. I think the mids sound nice, they have good tonality, but if midrange details/layering is a priority for you this is something to consider.
With that out of the way though, they really are great, and a lot of fun, because:
  • The bass is phenomenal. It digs deep, delivers a lot detail and texture, and can hit hard when needed, without ever bleeding into the mids. I love bass like this.
  • Super detailed and textured treble. Tons of micro-details, and with an appropriate filter installed, it's not harsh at all. To compare A6 mini to something in the same price range that also has a piezo driver, I like the NiceHCK NX7 (after doing a slight mod) and the amount of detail it delivers. However I also think the NX7 sometimes has a "ringing" or "chiming" effect in terms of timbre. I get none of that sense with the A6 mini's piezo, by comparison, the A6 mini treble just sounds clear and clean.
  • Killer sound stage. Expands in all dimensions, and it never collapses in when tracks get busy.
I think it's one of my better IEMs, not sure where exactly I'd rank it against my other favorites just yet, but it's a keeper. It's also got me extremely curious about the regular A6. I might need to pick that up during some sale next year.
I have the NX7 Pro. If your NX7 didn't exhibit the: "ringing" or "chiming" effect in terms of timbre, would you consider the LZ A6 mini a side grade to the NX7 ?

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #139 of 687
I have the NX7 Pro. If your NX7 didn't exhibit the: "ringing" or "chiming" effect in terms of timbre, would you consider the LZ A6 mini a side grade to the NX7 ?

My NX7 Pro is great after 100hours+ burn in, silver filters really working good, just a little bit smooth brightness on top. Still waiting for my A6 mini to be delivered by next year. Not hoping much improvement, maybe they are just a side grade, but I cant hold anymore to taste the LZ and was thinking that the A6 mini is a good start.

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #140 of 687
Hmm, I think they're roughly of the same quality, wouldn't surprise me if some preferred one and other people preferred the other. The main differences to my ears is that the NX7 has more layering, detail and presence in the mids, male vocals in particular sound richer on NX7. A6 mini has bigger stage in all dimensions, and has more controlled and textured bass. NX7 is a more comfortable fit for me, and the cable that ships with the NX7 Pro is much nicer than the stock A6 mini cable (I bought the upgrade NX7 cable a few months after I bought my NX7).

In terms of pure sound performance, I think I prefer the A6 mini just a little bit more, but they're both great.

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #141 of 687
Hmm, I think they're roughly of the same quality, wouldn't surprise me if some preferred one and other people preferred the other. The main differences to my ears is that the NX7 has more layering, detail and presence in the mids, male vocals in particular sound richer on NX7. A6 mini has bigger stage in all dimensions, and has more controlled and textured bass. NX7 is a more comfortable fit for me, and the cable that ships with the NX7 Pro is much nicer than the stock A6 mini cable (I bought the upgrade NX7 cable a few months after I bought my NX7).

In terms of pure sound performance, I think I prefer the A6 mini just a little bit more, but they're both great.
Could you compare it to tfz no.3 ?

Dec 24, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #142 of 687
Could you compare it to tfz no.3 ?
Both have really excellent bass, No. 3 hits harder and has more sub bass, A6 mini has bass that's a bit more nuanced and "musical". A6 Mini's presentation is much more spacious. No. 3 has are more intimate stage, and vocals are pushed forward more on the No. 3. A6 Mini has more high end sparkle and air, where as the No. 3 emphases the upper mids/lower treble area more.

They honestly sound very different from each other, the mids in particular, and listening to them back-to-back required a bit of "brain burn in" every time I switched between them.

Dec 24, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #143 of 687
Can someone honestly tell me if its worth getting the a6 if you already have the mini? Liking the mini alot except the male vocals that is a bit behind/recessed in comparison to everything else.

Dec 24, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #145 of 687
Can someone honestly tell me if its worth getting the a6 if you already have the mini? Liking the mini alot except the male vocals that is a bit behind/recessed in comparison to everything else.
In my opinion, yes. As staggeringly good as the the A6 Mini are the A6 do sound appreciably better. The flagship A6 is even more articulate and transparent, with better resolution, separation and imaging. It has 4 extra balanced armature drivers on each side and the result is appreciable. Of course, you also get three times as many filters to help tune things to your liking. Some of the tunings do have more balanced mids than you get on the A6 Mini.

Much like peter123, who is the main person that turned me on to the A6, I find the A6 to be the best sounding IEM I've ever listened to and it's pretty much my end game set. I don't think I'd be willing to pay the kind of money it would take to get a noticeable upgrade to the A6. And there's nothing that I notice as being deficient about them. With pretty much every other pair of earphones I've owned there have always been things that I could hear that I would like to be improved.

That said, it really depends on how much you want to pay to reach that next level and whether it's worth it to you. Because, as we all know, there are diminishing returns the higher up the price ladder you go.

Dec 24, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #146 of 687
Both have really excellent bass, No. 3 hits harder and has more sub bass, A6 mini has bass that's a bit more nuanced and "musical". A6 Mini's presentation is much more spacious. No. 3 has are more intimate stage, and vocals are pushed forward more on the No. 3. A6 Mini has more high end sparkle and air, where as the No. 3 emphases the upper mids/lower treble area more.

They honestly sound very different from each other, the mids in particular, and listening to them back-to-back required a bit of "brain burn in" every time I switched between them.
I see now, intrigue me to get the LZ A6 mini again

Dec 24, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #147 of 687
Not sure why but Nicehck official have 2 option of A6 Mini with little price different. The page where they put A6 Mini together with the semkarch CNT-1 (LZ A6 Mini/Semkarch CNT-1) is more cheaper than the A6 Mini only page.

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #148 of 687
In my opinion, yes. As staggeringly good as the the A6 Mini are the A6 do sound appreciably better. The flagship A6 is even more articulate and transparent, with better resolution, separation and imaging. It has 4 extra balanced armature drivers on each side and the result is appreciable. Of course, you also get three times as many filters to help tune things to your liking. Some of the tunings do have more balanced mids than you get on the A6 Mini.

Much like peter123, who is the main person that turned me on to the A6, I find the A6 to be the best sounding IEM I've ever listened to and it's pretty much my end game set. I don't think I'd be willing to pay the kind of money it would take to get a noticeable upgrade to the A6. And there's nothing that I notice as being deficient about them. With pretty much every other pair of earphones I've owned there have always been things that I could hear that I would like to be improved.

That said, it really depends on how much you want to pay to reach that next level and whether it's worth it to you. Because, as we all know, there are diminishing returns the higher up the price ladder you go.
Is the A6 more sibilant than the mini? The mini with the black filter has just enough highs for it to not be sibiliant for me, but if it has more then that might be a problem. ( I know there are 9 filters so maybe the best way is to test with the same filters on both the A6 and the mini)

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #149 of 687
In my opinion, yes, it's worth having the A6 if you already enjoy the mini. The A6 is on another level altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back