LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Dec 11, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #601 of 687
Thanks for the copy and paste, I only use the black filter and I think the peak is closer to 2k on my pair but the peak kind of disappeared over time. I am not sure if it is brain run-in or actual run-in of the piezo. For me I don't think male vocal is actually recessed. YMMV I guess. I wish I can try the A6 or the A7 before placing my order....

And I wish they have 2-pin version ...
I only use black filter and I have to mod it for the A6 to correct the timbre. On the other hand, A7 has a more accurate timbre and I can see clearly different prefferences for each filter, which makes it more versatile despite of having less nozzle options than A6. I still did mod the black filter on A7 to expand the soundstage and improve clarity tho, because the main difference between those two I would say is the timbre and the quantity in "air" and I really did miss that "out of the head" feeling.
In a nutshell:
Black modded filter + A6 + Ibasso DX160 high gain - Huge soundstage and "airy", having a very "out of the head" feeling.
Black modded filter + A7 + Ibasso DX160 high gain - Great timbre and instrument separation. All nozzles has different profiles and they are all viable compared to A6.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #602 of 687
I only use black filter and I have to mod it for the A6 to correct the timbre. On the other hand, A7 has a more accurate timbre and I can see clearly different prefferences for each filter, which makes it more versatile despite of having less nozzle options than A6. I still did mod the black filter on A7 to expand the soundstage and improve clarity tho, because the main difference between those two I would say is the timbre and the quantity in "air" and I really did miss that "out of the head" feeling.
In a nutshell:
Black modded filter + A6 + Ibasso DX160 high gain - Huge soundstage and "airy", having a very "out of the head" feeling.
Black modded filter + A7 + Ibasso DX160 high gain - Great timbre and instrument separation. All nozzles has different profiles and they are all viable compared to A6.

Thank you for comparison. I think I will miss the "air" if I get the A7 but I think the A7 will still be a better investment for me and hopefully the end game. :L3000:

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #603 of 687
Ok, this is driving me mad.

I love these A6 mini but the sound is cutting out so quickly.... sometimes 5 minutes of usage when it happens.

Haven't had shower today so ears not unusually wet....

What are others doing.....can you drill a small vent without totally screwing the sound?
OSTRY tips are a good solution. I bought all three types

Dec 14, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #604 of 687
My pair of the A6 arrived today and I've been testing them a little, but immediately I have to ask for advice about good tips for them. None of the tips they come with stay in my ear. The seal is there, barely, but they slide out very easily. I will have to replace the cable, too.

But I must say I am not happy with the QC on my unit. The glossy surface of the right shell has ugly blemishes on it when observed at an angle and light reflects off it. Secondly, there is something off about the right shell's workmanship because it creaks when pressed against the ear, even very lightly - any sort of pressure. I think it happens at the connection between the nozzle and the shell: thread, flange, gasket, no idea, but I think it happens there. Has anyone else observed this, too?
OSTRY tips are good for most iems. Try it, they are not too expensive and fairly tidy.

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #605 of 687
so say I can get an MMCX A6 for ~210aud, and maybe grab the BGVP screw on filter plus some moondrop filters to use tweezers to modify, is this a good endgame for a while?
Great value? anything better for the price I should worry about?
The A7 is still very tempting, even for double the price, but if I can have bordering TOTL sound for half that, even with a little work to get around moisture issues by playing with moondrop filters, that would be nice.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #606 of 687
so say I can get an MMCX A6 for ~210aud, and maybe grab the BGVP screw on filter plus some moondrop filters to use tweezers to modify, is this a good endgame for a while?
Great value? anything better for the price I should worry about?
The A7 is still very tempting, even for double the price, but if I can have bordering TOTL sound for half that, even with a little work to get around moisture issues by playing with moondrop filters, that would be nice.

I'm biased since I love the A6. I have plenty of earphones (Audiosense T800, Mangird Tea, Fio FH3, Tin P1, Shozy Form 1.4, Senheiser IE800, etc.) plus some others coming my way (e.g. Fiio FD5) but none like the A6 when it comes to stage and treble detail (counting on the Fiio FD5 to challenge this). The bass is big, detailed and extended, especially after some burn in, and the mids are as present as the nozzles you choose (I am currently using pink, though I love reds too). Nothing comes close to them for orchestral and soundtracks, but jazz and electronic genres are great on them too.

The A6 is an earphone you grow into. It is extremely flexible with all nozzle options (even the shuoer tape nozzle is viable for the A6). If you enjoy tweaking then you are getting a bargain, and I can't think of anything I have that I would rather buy for that price.

The moisture issue is not a big deal, at least for me. I go around it by using either foams or tips that are not so short as to allow direct contact of the mesh with the ear. I doubt that other iems with metal grills in the nozzle don't get similar amounts of moisture in their acoustic filters, it is probably just the case that we don't see it. Anyway, I have occasionally (carefully) washed the filters of the A6 when they were clogged.

I also have the mmcx version, and on that I recommend getting a nice copper cable with tight connectors. I use a cheap [banned brand ending in yoo] from amazon that is good enough, but I am sure there are nicer cables. And then just forget about it because it will last forever. If for some reason mmcx starts making bad contact (e.g. if you try too many cables), you can still carefully use some tweezers to tighten the inner tube like contact of the mmcx. That saved me a few times.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #609 of 687
Would those nozzles fit the a6 mini
Yes, the A6 filters fit on the A6 mini and vice versa. You could also use the A7 filters on the A6 models. Cant confirm the A5, but very likely to fit as well. Seems LZ is using the same filter "screw" on all their models.

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #610 of 687
Yes, the A6 filters fit on the A6 mini and vice versa. You could also use the A7 filters on the A6 models. Cant confirm the A5, but very likely to fit as well. Seems LZ is using the same filter "screw" on all their models.
For $19.99 nothing happens, but 39.98 is the only thing I can select. Do you get only the 4 a5 filters, or the 8 a6 filters as well?

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #611 of 687
For $19.99 nothing happens, but 39.98 is the only thing I can select. Do you get only the 4 a5 filters, or the 8 a6 filters as well?
Not sure, sounds like you only get the A6 filters with the 40 usd option. Contact penon if you arent sure.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #615 of 687
The soundstage is comparable and so is treble. Andromeda has a bit better miss but a6 has better bass. Andromeda is perfect and I love them. Got the original version for $600. The a6 is more similar than different almost all round but with a sub wolfer type bass. Both are excellent in left to right stereo imaging and separation. I use purple filters. Seeing as how you can get this for $230, it's impossible to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back