LZ A6/A6 mini discussion and review thread
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #587 of 687
1606737706639.png

I have gotten the new LZ A7 two hours ago. I can confirm that silver nozzle + pop mode + chopped foam tips (1/3 proportion, showing the nozzle) LZ A7 sound is really really close to the black nozzle + foam mod (pushed up all the way) + chopped foam tips (1/3 proportion, showing the nozzle) on the LZ A6 in terms of soundstage, separation and timbre.
The main difference between those would be that A7 has a better textured timbre (which sounds slightly more pleasant) and a bit more forward mids even on pop mode, and A6 has a more "airier feeling" or moving more "air" (maybe it has to do with the size of the IEM) which traslates to slightly a more "out of the head" feeling. Clarity, soundstage and separation they're really quite on par.
Note that I have to use the foam mod on the A6 to correct the timbre, whereas the A7 has alredy a piece of cloth on the entrance of its nozzles that makes the same funtion as that mod on the A6:
1606738527281.png

Nov 30, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #588 of 687
1606737706639.png
I have gotten the new LZ A7 two hours ago. I can confirm that silver nozzle + pop mode + chopped foam tips (1/3 proportion, showing the nozzle) LZ A7 sound is really really close to the black nozzle + foam mod (pushed up all the way) + chopped foam tips (1/3 proportion, showing the nozzle) on the LZ A6 in terms of soundstage, separation and timbre.
The main difference between those would be that A7 has a better textured timbre (which sounds slightly more pleasant) and a bit more forward mids even on pop mode, and A6 has a more "airier feeling" or moving more "air" (maybe it has to do with the size of the IEM) which traslates to slightly a more "out of the head" feeling. Clarity, soundstage and separation they're really quite on par.
Note that I have to use the foam mod on the A6 to correct the timbre, whereas the A7 has alredy a piece of cloth on the entrance of its nozzles that makes the same funtion as that mod on the A6:
1606738527281.png
I think that extra air on the A6 comes from the piezo´s in it working more than the piezo´s in the A7. That would also explain why the timbre is much more natural on the A7.

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #590 of 687
Just got my LZ A6mini in today from 11-11 AliExpress sale, $45 is absurd for these, they’re not nearly as hard to drive as I had anticipated at all, I’ve been probably fairly accused of listening too loud, and these have soooo much volume to spare on my iPad Air 3rd gen straight of the meager headphone jack.

I haven’t even bothered to try any of the other tuning nozzles, I’m listening now with the blue which were preinstalled. I did quickly take off the very cheap looking eartips and replaced them KZ star line tips. Wonderful little hybrid! The treble doesn’t bother me like piezos can sometimes.
9A907083-D6A9-4D71-A797-1F5FD1EF3158.jpeg

Attachments

• 94EFD707-18FC-4918-80BD-2883ADA99E69.jpeg
    94EFD707-18FC-4918-80BD-2883ADA99E69.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 41B370EE-60B8-4D8A-870F-4A7585EF99EE.jpeg
    41B370EE-60B8-4D8A-870F-4A7585EF99EE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #591 of 687
Never gave up on this pair, changed the black filter from the nozzle to the one that comes bundled to the moondrop kxxs to the black filter, I’ve been playing non stop for around 3 hours. No moisture issues, no drop in volume.
The grills in matter have a finer black mesh and the metal grill

treble became tamed and soundstage improved, I got 2 pairs so I could compare em side by side.I tried the back of the filter mesh solution, it didn’t worked out sonically speaking, it made a mess on the bass imo

i hope this inspires someone else for a solution, this is one of my favorite pairs, though it pissed me off when I mailed the company, the person replying to me answered as If i was taking nonsense when the problem is widely known and they were informed before

Attachments

• E15118AD-01BA-46FA-BEA4-10A5B41B5DE3.jpeg
    E15118AD-01BA-46FA-BEA4-10A5B41B5DE3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #592 of 687
Never gave up on this pair, changed the black filter from the nozzle to the one that comes bundled to the moondrop kxxs to the black filter, I’ve been playing non stop for around 3 hours. No moisture issues, no drop in volume.
The grills in matter have a finer black mesh and the metal grill

treble became tamed and soundstage improved, I got 2 pairs so I could compare em side by side.I tried the back of the filter mesh solution, it didn’t worked out sonically speaking, it made a mess on the bass imo

i hope this inspires someone else for a solution, this is one of my favorite pairs, though it pissed me off when I mailed the company, the person replying to me answered as If i was taking nonsense when the problem is widely known and they were informed before
I guess you are aware that the Moondrop filters (except for the Blessing 2 I believe) all have tuning filters in them, so they will change the sound.

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #593 of 687
I guess you are aware that the Moondrop filters (except for the Blessing 2 I believe) all have tuning filters in them, so they will change the sound.

[sic]treble became tamed and soundstage improved, I got 2 pairs so I could compare em side by side.I tried the back of the filter mesh solution, it didn’t worked out sonically speaking, it made a mess on the bass imo

the filter I placed came as a spare in the kxxs, there’s nothing different in between em, literally, they are spare grills, and yes, I know mesh and filters change the tunning,they all seem exactly the same and are not interchangeable, the material seems a bit more durable and they come with a metal mesh in the front, in my experience (when toying around with the imr r1z to tame the horrid 2k peak they have)the metal mesh helps a lot, in the case of the lz I wasn’t looking to change the sound, I’m more about countering the moisture problem, so far I’ve been playing em for 5 hours, even walked out the dogs and cleaned my apartment with em, no “volume down” and even enjoyed a bunch of katatonia albums,as I said, I have plenty totl iems and this one has a special tunning. Cant tell it’s better than any of my favorite iems, still it has a really well deserved place in my collection

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #594 of 687
I have been comparing my LZ A6 mini, NM2+ and BQEYZ BQ3 lately. Although the NM2+ has that wide soundstage and supreme clarity, and the A6 has the sweetness of the piezo and the warmth of the DD (which isn't too natural sounding), I think the BQ3 beats the NM2+ in stage and the A6 mini in timbre and stage as well. The BQ3 sounds incredible when driven properly!

Anyway, I have been considering to get the A6 as an upgrade but I wonder if they share similar timbre but just with more treble end extension? I wonder if it is redundant to get the A6 and should I just get the A7 instead.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #595 of 687
I have been comparing my LZ A6 mini, NM2+ and BQEYZ BQ3 lately. Although the NM2+ has that wide soundstage and supreme clarity, and the A6 has the sweetness of the piezo and the warmth of the DD (which isn't too natural sounding), I think the BQ3 beats the NM2+ in stage and the A6 mini in timbre and stage as well. The BQ3 sounds incredible when driven properly!

Anyway, I have been considering to get the A6 as an upgrade but I wonder if they share similar timbre but just with more treble end extension? I wonder if it is redundant to get the A6 and should I just get the A7 instead.

Difficult question, to me the A6 are an upgrade in every aspect to the Mini while still representing a similar tuning. The A7 is better than both imo but has a different signature and can also be more different sounding (with filters and switch) than the A6 brother's are able to.

In my collection the A7 sits on the top with the A6 as a good (and different) number two.....

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #596 of 687
Difficult question, to me the A6 are an upgrade in every aspect to the Mini while still representing a similar tuning. The A7 is better than both imo but has a different signature and can also be more different sounding (with filters and switch) than the A6 brother's are able to.

In my collection the A7 sits on the top with the A6 as a good (and different) number two.....
+1 Totally agree.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #597 of 687
I have LZ A6 mini, ...
From @RikudouGoku write up on the LZ A6:
" LZ A6 Mini (Black Filter): The first time I went from the A6 to the mini, it sounded muddy and everything was massively inferior to the A6. the little brother of the A6, the mini does have the same sound profile as the A6 but the biggest weakness of the mini being male vocals is no more on the A6. The bass is the most similar in quantity and quality but it isn’t as tight and fast as the A6, but still very fast. Male vocals are overshadowed by the female vocals, making male vocals sound very recessed and female vocals overly forward in comparison. Very bad vocal balancing on the mini, fortunately the A6 does not share this and has excellent vocal balancing. The treble on the mini sounds muddy in comparison to the A6. Extremely more details on the A6 and technicalities such as instruments separation is vastly superior (although it is most likely due to the cleaner treble that the instrument separation is better on the A6). Funny because the mini have more treble quantity (with the black filter that came with the mini) AND also have a big peak around 3k (not as big as the Tape but still very annoying) that can make it borderline sibilant on the mini for some songs. The A6 does not have that peak. "

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #598 of 687

Oh, I guess I should get the A7 instead then but it is a little over my budget since I am looking for a DAP upgrade. While I still quite enjoy the A6 mini, I find it colouring the tracks a little too much. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #599 of 687
Oh, I guess I should get the A7 instead then but it is a little over my budget since I am looking for a DAP upgrade. While I still quite enjoy the A6 mini, I find it colouring the tracks a little too much. Thanks!
The A6 has the same flavor as the A6 mini but refined to a whole new league.

A7 is most likely better for you since you want something more natural and less coloration.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #600 of 687
From @RikudouGoku write up on the LZ A6:
" LZ A6 Mini (Black Filter): The first time I went from the A6 to the mini, it sounded muddy and everything was massively inferior to the A6. the little brother of the A6, the mini does have the same sound profile as the A6 but the biggest weakness of the mini being male vocals is no more on the A6. The bass is the most similar in quantity and quality but it isn’t as tight and fast as the A6, but still very fast. Male vocals are overshadowed by the female vocals, making male vocals sound very recessed and female vocals overly forward in comparison. Very bad vocal balancing on the mini, fortunately the A6 does not share this and has excellent vocal balancing. The treble on the mini sounds muddy in comparison to the A6. Extremely more details on the A6 and technicalities such as instruments separation is vastly superior (although it is most likely due to the cleaner treble that the instrument separation is better on the A6). Funny because the mini have more treble quantity (with the black filter that came with the mini) AND also have a big peak around 3k (not as big as the Tape but still very annoying) that can make it borderline sibilant on the mini for some songs. The A6 does not have that peak. "

Thanks for the copy and paste, I only use the black filter and I think the peak is closer to 2k on my pair but the peak kind of disappeared over time. I am not sure if it is brain run-in or actual run-in of the piezo. For me I don't think male vocal is actually recessed. YMMV I guess. I wish I can try the A6 or the A7 before placing my order....

And I wish they have 2-pin version ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back