LZ A5
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,021 of 1,177
My new filters arrived finally this morning. I was very skeptical that they would be different than the ones I received initially with my A5 purchase. I've only played with the black and blue ones and could instantly tell an improvement in the sound quality. The A5 with the new black filters are pure listening bliss for me. The biggest difference to me, is that the new ones have given the mids a fuller sound and have smoothed the overall tone from top to bottom. I hope these are now the default filters that LZ are shipping with their new units. If so, I truly believe that the reviews and impressions will start being alot more positive. These sound fantastic!!

I wonder if the new black filters sound anything like the A4 black filters.

Now I'm getting excited.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,022 of 1,177
I wonder if the new black filters sound anything like the A4 black filters.

Now I'm getting excited.
Black/black is my favorite combo on my A4, and I definitely feel there are similar. The A5 with the new black filters are still brighter than the A4's black, but also with more details in comparison.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,023 of 1,177
Black/black is my favorite combo on my A4, and I definitely feel there are similar. The A5 with the new black filters are still brighter than the A4's black, but also with more details in comparison.

Thanks!

I managed to lose one of my black BACK filter about 4-5 months ago and have been rocking black front no back since... super wide, but not as much bass at all as with the back. Still I love the sound, the general treble profile... I am neither a treble head or afraid of treble.My main work cans - music work - are my batman he-560s... pretty bright without ever being sibilant... hope this is similar in that respect!

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,024 of 1,177
LZ 8 core crystal cooper is a very beautiful and really good quality cable ,

You can also get this cable in black colour ,

I ordered this cable, with the 2.5mm TRRS Plug, during the March sale, and it arrived yesterday.
It's a good, soft cable - but I did have to spread out the GND Rings a bit, to make solid connections on my new TO400s earbuds, and LZ A4 earphones.
Currently have the cable connected to my Onkyo DP-X1, and TO400s earbuds, listening to Google Play Music. :ksc75smile:
My preference for MMCX plugs, is the "split" type GND, rather than the Floating Ring type GND, like in this photo.
(NOTE: With this particular model of plug, the outer housing has to be filed back some, to allow the plug to seat fully in some earphones/earbuds.)

HTB1mRPgOXXXXXa4apXXq6xXFXXXV.jpg

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #1,025 of 1,177
is that the cable that's about £40?

Thanks for the suggestion!!

【LZ a4 a3s mmcx舒尔威士顿jvc通用8芯6n冷冻单晶铜平衡耳机升级线】http://m.tb.cn/h.WCeLqub 点击链接,再选择浏览器打开;或复制这条信息¥tgH80HiUYOv¥后打开手淘

I bought this cable. Yes, it is around £40. The description reads 6N cryo-single crystal copper balanced cable. I hope this helps.

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,026 of 1,177
【LZ a4 a3s mmcx舒尔威士顿jvc通用8芯6n冷冻单晶铜平衡耳机升级线】http://m.tb.cn/h.WCeLqub 点击链接,再选择浏览器打开;或复制这条信息¥tgH80HiUYOv¥后打开手淘

I bought this cable. Yes, it is around £40. The description reads 6N cryo-single crystal copper balanced cable. I hope this helps.
Thanks!

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #1,029 of 1,177
I ordered some - will remeasure when they arrive.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #1,031 of 1,177
Trying to decide between Lz A5 and flc8s I'm looking for good quality bass, resolution, Soundstage and balanced sound in general anyone can help me ??
Keep in mind that this is the LZ-A5 thread so most people here will, by definition, cast a vote for the A5. I owned the A5 and returned it, but that was before the new filters came out.

For me, fit was an issue with the A5. The FLC8S fits me better.

If you are a bass head, go LZ. The FLC8S has bass, but its more of a proper gentleman's bass rather than a he man bass. OK my analogy is completely sexist but so is this hobby.

LZ in general does bass really well. For the rest of the sound spectrum, in general I would go FLC8S but most people on this thread will, again, point you to LZ. Which is to be expected and I respect that.

By the way, I still own a pair of the long gone LZ-A2 and I pull them out now and again.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #1,032 of 1,177
FLC8S vs LZ-A5 depends on what you listen to mostly. That said, you really can't go wrong with either one. I haven't heard the LZ-A5 with the new filters, which appear to have solved the peaky 5k-6khz treble issue -- the frequency range that tends to fatigue our ears the easiest.

LZ-A5 does awesome with electronic/synthetic music. That bass, as Originalsnuffy mentioned, is a real 'he-man' bass, lol. Goes real deep with a visceral, satisfying rumble. If you love a good subwoofer setup, you will love the A5s. The 4 BAs do not get drowned out by this sub-bass, as is usually the case.

FLC8S is my preference when listening to acoustic, classical, jazz, or rock. It does nothing wrong. You can tell the designer is extremely passionate about his craft by watching his YouTube video explaining the FLC8S.

You should also consider the iBasso IT01, it's a great sounding iem for $100. It almost makes you feel stupid for paying hundreds for other earphones.

Finally, if you're familiar with Fiio, they plan on releasing the FH5 IEM soon. It's supposed to be 1dynamic+3 knowles BA drivers for around $250. Early impressions from some friendly folks in Asia are that they compete fully with $500+ IEMs, even giving the upcoming $500 iBasso IT04 a real run for its money.

Companies are going to have to try a lot harder to make one pay more than $300 for an IEM nowadays.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #1,033 of 1,177
Still wouldn't give up my Big Dipper, and no remorse at all with paying LZ for it :)

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #1,034 of 1,177
Still wouldn't give up my Big Dipper, and no remorse at all with paying LZ for it :)

And I'm still jealous of it :wink:

If I ever change professions and just listen to music for fun I'll probably sell all my big headphones except my Batman He-560s and buy a TOTL IEM.

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,035 of 1,177

Woah, that's sayin' something! I always disregarded it 'cause I was into a hybrid iem craze lol, but then I just found this picture on headfonia of 'em:
https://goo.gl/images/NoV5XN

Holy guacamole! Gorgeous. I was only aware of the fancy switches, but those shiny BA guts, the sound bores.. So sexy... LZ is the Man. This I can see being worth its asking price, especially if snatched up on sale. So I take it the length and girth of the sound bores don't negatively impact the sonics? Maybe it did but LZ took it into consideration while tuning

Would you have spent the dough on them by reading impressions alone, though? I always got stung by not learning to have realistic expectations. The Nicehck HK6 has caught my attention lately thanks to dsnuts, so I figure thats a nice re-intro to a modern all-BA without asking for too much $$$. But watch I enjoy that and wonder what the Big D can do and next thing you know the $200 HK6 just adds more cost to the inevitable Big Ds already hefty price tag. Just another day at headfi, folks!

Must.... Hold.... Back!!!!

EDIT: cant post a picture? Lol!? If ya lurk ya get no perk.

Attachments

• LZ-Big-Dipper-1.jpg
    LZ-Big-Dipper-1.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back