LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #856 of 5,225
  It is really hard to like other combinations once you go Black / Back and Red / Front, at least for me. Most modern electronic songs have boosted treble which can get fatiguing with the Black / Front, Blue / Front, while the Red / Front really soothes the treble enough to make pretty much every modern song listenable for a long time. I think i'm slowly getting addicted to the buttery smooth treble of the Red / Black combination. 
redface.gif

EDIT: Also, if you love mids, the Black / Back - Red / Front are a must. You can turn up the volume higher than on the Blue / Front | Black / Front which opens up the mids while the bass and treble is just a tad more louder than the mids making them ever so slightly V-Shaped to my ears. This isn't a bad thing though! Once you hear the treble and bass on these gems you are in love with everything these throw at you anyway. :') 

I second that emotion. Switched from the Red Back/Red Front to the Black Back/Red Front and find the bass end a little bit better in balance in this format-The Red backs were just a bit too elevated on much material-though with great punch and articulation. My feelings exactly with the blue and black fronts though I don't find the mids taking much, if any of a hit in clarity. Just a great IEM-very well balanced but tweakable to ones preferences.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #857 of 5,225
Any tips recommendex for these guys? I understand the selection is slightly limited due to the wide bore

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #858 of 5,225
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #861 of 5,225
  If I massively EQ the QT5, I can get it to sound about 75-80% as good. My QT5's bug out every so often though, and I can't really stand the nozzle anymore. They sit in a drawer as a lesson learned, always check if your EQ is running on your source while reviewing.

These beat the SW3 as well, but don't necessarily outperform it. The soundstage on the A4 is a little more natural and the background details aren't pushed as forward as the SW3. I'm one of those who can't listen to the SW3 without EQ (piercing treble), and I'm not fond of its W signature.

I won't have time to try other filters or tips tonight, so I'm just going to enjoy this. It has the exact signature I like.

I agree on the SW3. Don't be too hard on yourself about the EQ on the QT5 :) 

Honestly the A4 has made a lot of my IEMs irrelevant and they sit in drawers now too. I'm trying to find a good use for the SW3. I wanted to use it at work, but I can't have it in my ear for 8 hours without wanting to jump out the window. 

Thanks for the recommendation. The recording seems to cover wide range of frequencies and sounds amazing, esp the bass. Very nice thump

I'm using Red/ rear and Black/front

Yep it's a fun song with the A4. 

Spiral Dots for me

Same here, haven't taken them out since I settled on them. 

JVC Spiral Dots and KZ star tips. They are my go to tips for nearly everything now, and they work well on the A4.

I wish my KZ would show up already. Can't wait to try them. 

-Collin-

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #862 of 5,225
Any tips recommendex for these guys? I understand the selection is slightly limited due to the wide bore

Tried a pair of large tips from a set of Focal Sphear iems someone has just sent back to me and have discovered an unexpected gem. They have a very long stem (like Spinfit) so allow for a nice deep fit and give a good impact to the bass.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #864 of 5,225
Some more thoughts on the filters:

My favorites are:
1. Black-Black
2. Blue(B)-Black(F)
3. Black-Green

Most front filters are weird in terms of overall treble balance. Blue is pretty much filter-less. As a matter of fact, it sounds louder compared to the rest. Pink...just no. Red is alright, but sounds a bit unnatural. Grey is slightly better. Green even more so. Black? Mamma mia.
I tried to replicate some of my FLC8s combos, mainly Clear-Clear-Grey, Red-Gray-Grey, Red-Clear-Green and Black-Grey-Gold:

From my hearing:
Black(F) on the A4 is pretty much the Grey MF/HF filter.
Blue(F) is the green MF/HF filter, however much more subdued in the 7kHz area.
Green(F) is a slightly mellower sounding Gold MF/HF filter with less emphasis around 4kHz.
The rest of the filters are pretty much Blue MF/HF variants, with more subdued treble (not roll-off per sé).

The back filters are pretty easy to allign as well:
Red = Red-Black with even more rumble.
Black = Red-Grey
Blue = Red-Clear

I'm really surprised about the blue back-filter. The mid-bass impact is now akin to neutral/balanced levels, but the sub-bass very much retains most of the quantity.

Anyone know what is the LZ A4 config equivalent to red/black/gunmetal on the FLC8S?

This would be Red(B)-Black(F). Don't expect to get a 1:1 signature though. The midrange on the FLC8s does sound slighly sweeter and more balanced. But the A4 has that holographic imaging, which gives it the edge in technicality.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #865 of 5,225
Some more thoughts on the filters:

My favorites are:
1. Black-Black
2. Blue(B)-Black(F)
3. Black-Green

Most front filters are weird in terms of overall treble balance. Blue is pretty much filter-less. As a matter of fact, it sounds louder compared to the rest. Pink...just no. Red is alright, but sounds a bit unnatural. Grey is slightly better. Green even more so. Black? Mamma mia.
I tried to replicate some of my FLC8s combos, mainly Clear-Clear-Grey, Red-Gray-Grey, Red-Clear-Green and Black-Grey-Gold:

From my hearing:
Black(F) on the A4 is pretty much the Grey MF/HF filter.
Blue(F) is the green MF/HF filter, however much more subdued in the 7kHz area.
Green(F) is a slightly mellower sounding Gold MF/HF filter with less emphasis around 4kHz.
The rest of the filters are pretty much Blue MF/HF variants, with more subdued treble (not roll-off per sé).

The back filters are pretty easy to allign as well:
Red = Red-Black with even more rumble.
Black = Red-Grey
Blue = Red-Clear

I'm really surprised about the blue back-filter. The mid-bass impact is now akin to neutral/balanced levels, but the sub-bass very much retains most of the quantity.
This would be Red(B)-Black(F). Don't expect to get a 1:1 signature though. The midrange on the FLC8s does sound slighly sweeter and more balanced. But the A4 has that holographic imaging, which gives it the edge in technicality.

This is very helpful. Thank you. Expecting my LZ A4 soon as well. Do you drive them from a dedicated DAP or is not needed?

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #870 of 5,225
Oddly enough, I find the FLC8S small silicone tips to be perfect with the LZ A4. I use the mediums for the FLC8S. These 2 iems really can be made amazingly similar. Comfort goes to the FLC8S hands down though. Anyone feel the treads on the back filters rubbing in your ear? I'm confused why they decided to have treads on the back but not the front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back