LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #871 of 5,225
Hey all,
The bass on The Unmentionables is near perfect for me. Can the LZA4 hold a candle to (or better yet, best) the bass on the Unmentionable IEM? Also, I've been unsuccessful in finding an iem with the same (or better) soundstage as the ie8. Can this one compare in terms of soundstage? Lastly, does anyone have a detailed comparison to the ibasso it03? All the comparisons so far seem glossed over.

Essentially what I'm asking is if anyone could make a breakdown of

Lza4 vs. it03 vs. ie8 vs. Unmentionables

I am firstly a "soundstage head" followed by mild bass head. I love thick, sort of warm note presence and 3D soundstages most. I love textured, full, refined bass but not boominess (think: Unmentionables).

Tl:dr im about to buy these please convince me it's worth it haha :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #872 of 5,225
  Oddly enough, I find the FLC8S small silicone tips to be perfect with the LZ A4. I use the mediums for the FLC8S. These 2 iems really can be made amazingly similar. Comfort goes to the FLC8S hands down though. Anyone feel the treads on the back filters rubbing in your ear? I'm confused why they decided to have treads on the back but not the front.

Probably because the nozzles have enough length to get a grip on.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #873 of 5,225
Blue Back/Black front rolls off at 100hz. Haven't tried it bc it doesn't look to be appealing.

Pretty much set that the Black Back Blue Front is my favorite. Sounds so vivid and natural to me.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #874 of 5,225

I don't know much about the ie8 or the unmentionables.  But would be very interested in the LZ-A4, it03, and FLC8S comparison.  I own the FLC8S, and will be borrowing the it03 in a few weeks.  I have the LZ-A2 and am a big fan.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #876 of 5,225
Blue Back/Black front rolls off at 100hz. Haven't tried it bc it doesn't look to be appealing.

Pretty much set that the Black Back Blue Front is my favorite. Sounds so vivid and natural to me.

Just swapped the black back for the red back. Forgot about this combo. It's damn good. Gives a 3D sound with good treble extension and isn't as forward with vocals as the black back.

Didn't last more than 10 secs with the Blue Back and Black Nozzle. No sub bass was not good. I guess I'd call this the most neutral lol

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #877 of 5,225
  A stupid question, about the bundle strap on the cable, you guys used a scissor to cut it open, right?

Considered it. Holding off in case something stops working and needs a return.

Just to add, this is the nicest stock iem cable I've come across. The value proposition of the whole package really is incredible. Only knock is none of the included tips were any good for me.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #878 of 5,225
Oh my, this A4 is really starting to show it's stuff. Using the Black/Back Red/Fronts now and the highs have been tamed a bit with absolutely no loss of detail. Smooth but not overly...Very natural, spacious sound quality that makes pretty much everything sound well....Beautiful!.. Feel like I could listen to these for days continually and never get fatigued..Not going to burn them in, want my ears and brain to just gradually adjust to this...Maybe later but I am loving them just the the way they are right now, almost scary to think that they might get better..hats off to LZ on the tuning on these, Just Superb! Wish I had the words to give them their just do...

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #879 of 5,225
Oh my, this A4 is really starting to show it's stuff. Using the Black/Back Red/Fronts now and the highs have been tamed a bit with absolutely no loss of detail. Smooth but not overly...Very natural, spacious sound quality that makes pretty much everything sound well....Beautiful!.. Feel like I could listen to these for days continually and never get fatigued..Not going to burn them in, want my ears and brain to just gradually adjust to this...Maybe later but I am loving them just the the way they are right now, almost scary to think that they might get better..hats off to LZ on the tuning on these, Just Superb! Wish I had the words to give them their just do...

Have to agree with you, wholeheartedly, Just never experienced such quality, for the money:blush::blush:

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #880 of 5,225
Dec 22, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #881 of 5,225
Currently finishing up a write up of the Campfire Dorado (current RRP $999) and actually going to include a pretty competitive comparison to the LZ-A4 in there. That should say everything that needs to be said about the sound quality of the new LZ model.

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #882 of 5,225
Currently finishing up a write up of the Campfire Dorado (current RRP $999) and actually going to include a pretty competitive comparison to the LZ-A4 in there. That should say everything that needs to be said about the sound quality of the new LZ model.

Great stuff !

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #883 of 5,225
Hey all,
The bass on The Unmentionables is near perfect for me. Can the LZA4 hold a candle to (or better yet, best) the bass on the Unmentionable IEM? Also, I've been unsuccessful in finding an iem with the same (or better) soundstage as the ie8. Can this one compare in terms of soundstage? Lastly, does anyone have a detailed comparison to the ibasso it03? All the comparisons so far seem glossed over.

I am firstly a "soundstage head" followed by mild bass head. I love thick, sort of warm note presence and 3D soundstages most. I love textured, full, refined bass but not boominess (think: Unmentionables).

Tl:dr im about to buy these please convince me it's worth it haha
smily_headphones1.gif

What I've heard so far from 2 testing sessions, IT03 is V shape, between mild to moderately V shape, depending on the recording and personal preference. The mids is clear and clean, but doesn't have the warm and thick note presentation that you mentioned. 3D soundstage is good on IT03, but no warm sound.

I haven't tried LZ-A4, but I have the LZ-A2 and I really like it. From your description, probably the new AK T8iE Mk2 will suit your preference. I have AK T8iE Mk2 and I really like it a lot. But I had quality issue once, but have been sorted out, and now my AK T8iE Mk2 sounds really good. Balanced tonality with holographic 3D imaging, and it has good tonal density and a mild warmness that I love from dynamic driver. Detail, speed and clarity are really good as well. Give it a try if you have the opportunity. The problem with AK T8iE Mk2 is some QC issue. If you hear any mild or moderate muffledness around the midrange, that means the unit has QC issue. A good unit should have good clarity on both left and right channels.

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #884 of 5,225
Just a quick suggestion: following the format FUYU used, we may use (b)/-b/b-to represent back filter, and (f)/-f/f- to represent front nozzle.
So, black back filter and red front nozzle could be simplified as:

Black(b)/Red(f)
(B)black/(F)red
B-black/F-red
Black-b/Red-f

Hope these abbreviations can save our time and help avoiding potential confusion. :)

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #885 of 5,225
Just swapped the black back for the red back. Forgot about this combo. It's damn good. Gives a 3D sound with good treble extension and isn't as forward with vocals as the black back.

Didn't last more than 10 secs with the Blue Back and Black Nozzle. No sub bass was not good. I guess I'd call this the most neutral lol

So are leaning toward Red-b/Blue-f now? Or is Black-b/Blue-f still your favorite

BTW, did anyone else notice on the little folded card the recommended BURN-IN was ~20 hrs white noise then ~10hrs pink noise followed by soft music before going to louder aggressive music -dang forgot exact term used on music type after burn in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back