LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #826 of 5,225
  Under $200 IEM of the year. I'm enjoying these much more than the Vibro Aria I got to demo ($500).

There we go.... a real price performer of 2016.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #827 of 5,225

The Christmas card is really a nice touch. I love little things like these.

Indeed, I don't know of any other seller that goes the extra mile in presentation. Kind of regretting not coughing up the $10 for express...it's been a week now. Hope they gave me a card too 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #828 of 5,225
Did some filter swapping:

Black/Black: Did not care for, at first was good but then quickly heard congestion in the highs and found it sounding weird. Mike, you found this issue with the Black/Blue combo. Interesting.

Black/Blue: Been using this and honestly its by far my favorite, its puts the focus on vocals centering them in your head, gives a nice mid focus in general but its not unnatural. A ton of air overall. 

Black/Red: Very good, to me the most 3D sounding, a tad less treble clarity than the blue but it still is clean, smooth and coherent.

dontcallmejan my post from about a week ago

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #831 of 5,225
Okay thank you! will try more filter rolling when I get home. But for you, what's the most neutral sounding filter combination?

Maybe the Black back blue Nozzle which is still my favorite

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #833 of 5,225
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't he also make his own BA drivers?

Also I want to thank everyone for sharing their impressions, comparisons and reviews. I think I'm going to get these for myself after seeing they were a success!

I doubt he makes his own drivers. There is only a handful of companies that produce BA drivers. Knowles and Sonion being the largest and then Sony and another one or two I forgot. BUT you can ask Knowles and the others to make BA drivers tuned to your liking - and I think that is what LZ does - and companies like Noble etc. as well - they order custom tuned drivers from Knowles - put in their own knowledge in crossovers, housings, acoustic chambers and whatnot and create some nice things....

Slapping together a couple of good drivers and a basic crossover in an off-the-shelf housing - will probably sound rather meh - as many of these cheap DIY IEMs show. There is a bit more to it to make an IEM sound really good. And LZ usually does it quite well.

Cheers.

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #835 of 5,225
It is really hard to like other combinations once you go Black / Back and Red / Front, at least for me. Most modern electronic songs have boosted treble which can get fatiguing with the Black / Front, Blue / Front, while the Red / Front really soothes the treble enough to make pretty much every modern song listenable for a long time. I think i'm slowly getting addicted to the buttery smooth treble of the Red / Black combination. 
redface.gif

EDIT: Also, if you love mids, the Black / Back - Red / Front are a must. You can turn up the volume higher than on the Blue / Front | Black / Front which opens up the mids while the bass and treble is just a tad more louder than the mids making them ever so slightly V-Shaped to my ears. This isn't a bad thing though! Once you hear the treble and bass on these gems you are in love with everything these throw at you anyway. :') 

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #836 of 5,225
I gave in. I just couldn't...

heard all Dunu Titans (not too shabby for price), dn2kj was good. FLC8S was alright. I'm watiting for my dn2000 to get recabled (LOVED this balanced weighty hybrid). Sent back a PM4 (dodgy make, and sound was underwhelming)...

Considered a P1 (the frequencygraph isn't that different from my dn2000... so yeah... here I am. I just want a solid bang for buck giant killer with impeccable timbre, out of your head extensions...well you know the rest. Hopefully someone here can console me by giving more comparisons.

FLC8s was good - but needed more weight for me and bass felt stiff strangely enough with my ear fitting.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #837 of 5,225
  I gave in. I just couldn't...

heard all Dunu Titans (not too shabby for price), dn2kj was good. FLC8S was alright. I'm watiting for my dn2000 to get recabled (LOVED this balanced weighty hybrid). Sent back a PM4 (dodgy make, and sound was underwhelming)...

Considered a P1 (the frequencygraph isn't that different from my dn2000... so yeah... here I am. I just want a solid bang for buck giant killer with impeccable timbre, out of your head extensions...well you know the rest. Hopefully someone here can console me by giving more comparisons.

FLC8s was good - but needed more weight for me and bass felt stiff strangely enough with my ear fitting.

EDIT: I'm somehow high or sth. I could've sworn i red that u were still considering getting them. Must be the mix of too much Matcha and Coffee LOL. Just gon leave it anyway for the ones still considering. :wink:

"I'm sorry to tell you this but, you already lost. Once the A4 seed is planted in your head, there is no going back. There was a comparison for the FLC8S and the A4 was on the same level at a cheaper price. I can only compare them to the A3s, SW3, Titan 1 and 5 and the "One-headphone-that-can't-be-named" and it trumps them all easily, even the SW3 imo.

Hands down the best headphone i've ever owned this far even surpassing every Over-Ear headphone i ever tried regarding overall balance, bass, smooth treble and sound signature."

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #838 of 5,225
Damn you guys, you've planted the A4 seed in my head.
Things are really quiet at work; slowing down for the festive season, so have been reading a lot on here, which is never good for the wallet!
I've enjoyed tube rolling on my little dot the last few months - this seems like the iem equivalent with the changable filters.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #839 of 5,225
I'm nearly sold on these, but dang, FUYU that must hurt.

Yeah, really unfortunate. These are stellar sounding.

yea kinda turn off by the bad qc

I wouldn't call this bad qc. Can happen to everyone. Hell, I had my Trinity Stuff replaced 3 times within 2 months or so.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #840 of 5,225
Hands down the best headphone i've ever owned this far even surpassing every Over-Ear headphone i ever tried regarding overall balance, bass, smooth treble and sound signature."

Couldn't agree more.

Had a longer listening session with the Fidelio X2 and HE400i (my favorite full sized headphones) and then put on the A4 and for the first time ever doing such a switch I didn't need time for my brain to adjust to the (inferior) sound of IEM's. The A4 is in every way equally great imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back