LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 7, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #347 of 5,225

They are custom-made BAs to get right down to it.

I think ATM the best hybrid companies including LZ are operating on a 2x/3x price/performance multiplier (price you pay vs the quality you are getting) against western IEM companies...generally.

Look how rapid things have moved in less than 2 years with iterations.

That sounds awesome. So they told you that they get their drivers custom-made directly from knowles? This stuff is so interesting.

I think you're pretty spot on with ur "theory" about the price/perfomance multiplier. Usually you get a often not so nice single DD IEM for the price you'd pay for a A3s or A4. Even a similar version to sth like the SW3 can't even be found on the western market.. like, its 5 drivers per side AND is not custom made.. on the western market you'd pay around 600 or even more for sth like this. I mean, look at the Massdrop Noble X IEM. It has 2 BA's per side and not even 3 BA's or 1 DD and it sells for 250$. I haven't heard the Noble X's, but i can't imagine that they would sound better than the 3 driver A4 or even the A3s which has a Silver-Titan-Composite-Driver extra.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #348 of 5,225
That sounds awesome. So they told you that they get their drivers custom-made directly from knowles? This stuff is so interesting.

I think you're pretty spot on with ur "theory" about the price/perfomance multiplier. Usually you get a often not so nice single DD IEM for the price you'd pay for a A3s or A4. Even a similar version to sth like the SW3 can't even be found on the western market.. like, its 5 drivers per side AND is not custom made.. on the western market you'd pay around 600 or even more for sth like this. I mean, look at the Massdrop Noble X IEM. It has 2 BA's per side and not even 3 BA's or 1 DD and it sells for 250$. I haven't heard the Noble X's, but i can't imagine that they would sound better than the 3 driver A4 or even the A3s which has a Silver-Titan-Composite-Driver extra.

Another difference is the internal damping used in the A4. (Not talking about the nozzle right here)
This gives the dynamic various characteristics. This can be papery material, or something like acoustic foam. This also affects vented BA designs.
Another thing is the position and size of the vents (in this case the back plate). Changing the angle, distance to the nozzle, or even adding more vents can alter DDs sound greatly.

Driver quantity doesn't determine quality, EVER. Tuning is paramount. The Noble Savant (and X) uses a Knowles ED30761 and a Knowles ED29689. (Both single armature)
These don't even cost 60$ for one pair. Yet, they are super popular for DIY projects because of the simplicity in design (20Ω resistor for the ED29689, in series) and because they sound phenomonal. There is something like the HUM Presitine, which is priced above 1000$ and also only uses a dual BA configuration. (albeit it uses a highly complex crossover design; review HERE)

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #349 of 5,225
When people on here say A3s are they referring to the original A3 or the newer A3S as they are different just to prevent confusion.

Original                                                                                               

the A3S

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #354 of 5,225
how is lz-a4 compared to jvc FW01 or fx1200?

I believe less than 10 people in here have the A4 yet. Since no one has answered your question it's a fair chance none of us have either of those JVC's. As more people get the A4 someone will hopefully be able to do the comparisons you desire eventually but I'm afraid that may have to show some patience before that might happen :wink:

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #356 of 5,225
When people on here say A3s are they referring to the original A3 or the newer A3S as they are different just to prevent confusion.

Original                                                                                               

the A3S

Pretty sure same exact thing, S is just detachable cable but yeah A3's vs A3s vs A3S can be confusing when typed out lol

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #357 of 5,225
I believe less than 10 people in here have the A4 yet. Since no one has answered your question it's a fair chance none of us have either of those JVC's. As more people get the A4 someone will hopefully be able to do the comparisons you desire eventually but I'm afraid that may have to show some patience before that might happen
wink.gif

Have you received  your replacement of defective pm4 ,?  
and as you heard them for about 10,15 minutes how you found them,  just few words about your feelings on that time when pm4 was in your ears  . . 

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #358 of 5,225
Pretty sure same exact thing, S is just detachable cable but yeah A3's vs A3s vs A3S can be confusing when typed out lol

All the LZ-A3, LZ-A3S,and LZ-A4 have detachable cables the S moniker has been added for Revision to previous models like the LZ-A2 which received the S treatment with the LZ-A2S the S versions have improved sound (subjectively some might not like there tuning for some music over the original) thats why I want to clear up which A3 people are Referring too as there are two versions and they both sound different.

Also since LZ has a trend of coming out with S models of the iem's can it be reasonable to assume that we may see a LZ-A4S in the future?

edited because i cant spell for crap 
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #359 of 5,225
and as you heard them for about 10,15 minutes how you found them,  just few words about your feelings on that time when pm4 was in your ears  . . 

pm4 is quite good. enjoyed it myself.
nt the best soundstage but the sound is fun.
i have the a91 as reference monitor.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-audio-engineering-phantom-master-4/reviews/17411
spot on review by @FUYU

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #360 of 5,225

No I haven't and I've got no idea when I will either. I did spend a couple of hours with the PM4 yesterday though (managed to fit the dampened gold filter on them, so that I at least could sit still and listen to them, I liked them better than the stock ones). I'm pretty sure both my earpieces sound identical and because of that probably also correct despite the loose filter. I wouldn't say that they're bad but there's something weird in the midrange that makes it sound very two dimensional (or even hollow) occasionally. It's hard to really put a finger on exactly what it is without spending more time with them but something definitely sounds off. Maybe they're worth $100, maybe not (for example I easily prefer the Moni One and PMV-A01 MK2 over them) but they're certainly not anywhere near the A4 in overall performance. To me they're just average (please bear in mind that there might be something wrong with the sound from one of the earpieces although I don't think so).

I hope this helps :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back