LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,171 of 5,225
I've got to admit that I may have dismissed the green filters to fast on my initial filter rolling. These are probably the most mid forward/centric and I like vocals a lot with them. I'm using them with the black back filters as the red ones does still have too lose bass for my preference. I'm still not sure that I'm willing to give up the bass when switching from red to green front as all rounder but for acoustic and vocal music the green ones are a really great option. Will use the black (b) and green (f) combo for some days and then go back to the red (f) and see how I feel about it.

Regarding the filters I'll forward the wishes to LZ but no promises
wink.gif

Personally I think the 18 combinations available today is enough but would definitely like to have spare filters available. I'll forward both wishes though.

I've found the same thing after trying the green fronts-really like vocals and most instruments gaining flesh and body though with some material i find the mids a bit too forward. Reducing the volume does alleviate this of course but would like an intermediate filter with slightly reduced mids from the green while keeping the more revealing nature of the treble region-compared to the Red front filters. I still like the Black back filters with the green or red fronts though the bass is reduced somewhat with the green nozzles. I find that after listening to the Green fronts for awhile, it's hard to give up the detail they provide and return to the Red fronts. That great full midrange and sweet treble of the Green fronts is seductive!

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,172 of 5,225
I switched to the green filters last night (red back). Didn't last more than maybe 30 secs, vocals sounds recessed and veiled to me, switched back to Blue for about 30 min. Went back to Green but this time I increased the volume a few notches.This brought the vocals out. Listened to them for about 10 min. Will do more listening tonight.

Peter, Black Green rolls off at 60hz. How sharp of a roll off is it?

That's one of things I like about the Green filter is it is smooth. I can boost volume and appreciate parts of the music that I could not on the Blue filter due to my treble sensitivity kicking in.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,173 of 5,225
Finally get to join the discussion here! My a4's arrived a little while ago and I have been listening to them since. Currently with red backs and blue fronts. And doing some listening at my desk with my schiit magni 2.

First impressions are very good.

These were intended as a complement to my it03's, which I love, but I have issues with the fit. Will try and give more impressions and comparisons as I become acquainted more with the a4's. First thoughts though are that the it03's are brighter than the a4's, even when using the blue filters. Which makes the it03 sound more detailed and clear. And there is still something about the bass with the it03 that the a4 doesnt quite seem to match, again maybe more detailed or clear, but I am not an expert. And the it03 definitely seems to present as a more neutral sound. Though that may be down a bit to filter choice, but from what I read, mids are definitely a bit recessed overall on the a4, though can be brought forward with the right filter choices, but with the potential to reduce overall extension of the sound.

At the moment, the it03 is still my choice for sound, but I havent played much with the filters, and don't have a lot of time with the a4's. But first impressions are good and these are definitely a good addition to my collection. And if they are more comfortable to wear over longer periods of time, they will probably get more ear time regardless of how I feel about the sound differences between the two.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #1,176 of 5,225
Happy new years guys. Best wishes for health and plenty of good ear time! A4 or it03 or flc or whatever you got in your drawer!

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,177 of 5,225
Just received my A4's a few days ago and am so glad to have stumbled upon them. They sound amazing so far - I have a hard time imagining anything sounding better or offer more versatility for ~$200.  I owned and was fairly happy with a pair of P1's for a few weeks, but returned them as soon as I ordered these. Those were a great value as well, even tapering my expectations a bit for the LZ's (or what could be had at this price point).  These have certainly raised the bar for me and am trying to be restrained in recommending them to others, at least until I've had them for a few more weeks.

Dec 31, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,178 of 5,225
The year is coming to an end and this is my chance to thank all of you. For everything. For beeing active in this forum and having such an amazing hobby. Music always guided me through tough times in my life and music has been my positive constant for as far as i can think. I love you all guys, spread love, feel love and a wonderful and happy new year 2017!

EDIT: The Green - Front - Nozzles are amazing and man, they really make me think this will be the last Headphones i need for a long while.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #1,179 of 5,225
  The Green - Front - Nozzles are amazing and man, they really make me think this will be the last Headphones i need for a long while.

Just got mine today - from the recommendations in this thread, I had exactly the same experience with the green fronts. Absolutely incredible, I cannot see how the sound can be better presented than this (to my tastes)

Completely blown away! I don't need any more earphones/IEMs - this is it for me.

What's the consensus on burn in time/result?

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #1,180 of 5,225
Just got mine today - from the recommendations in this thread, I had exactly the same experience with the green fronts. Absolutely incredible, I cannot see how the sound can be better presented than this (to my tastes)

Completely blown away! I don't need any more earphones/IEMs - this is it for me.

What's the consensus on burn in time/result?

In the included manual from LZ it recommended 20hrs of white noise followed by 10 hrs of pink noise.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,181 of 5,225
I personally am moving on with black front filters (for now). The smooth highs are pretty highlighted with just a hit of sparkle.

Imo, the graph/reference table is a good place to start but a proper graph will be more representative and showcases what's highlighted with each filter.

Also,

What DAP are you guys pairing this with? I'd like to hear someone with say a Shanling M2 with this. The H3 and M3 would be spectacular with it because of their big soundstage.

Using Xduoo X3 on the go which is great as it has a thicker overall sound and pairs nicely with the black/blue or black/black as it tames some of the upper mid/high emphasis, so you get slightly smoother sound but still lots of detail. i find it makes the red back ever so slightly loose.

On my laptop using Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC XS 2 which is very airy, slightly bright and open and actually pairs nicer with the red/black or red/blue.

Both sources can make quite a big difference imo.

I think when you are playing with combos it's always better to give them a day each as mixing and matching doesn't help in choosing as the differences aren't as immediately obvious.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,182 of 5,225
  How do these compare to the dunu dn 1000?

Cheers

Dn 1000 is a great sounding IEM, but is too harsh and sibilance is a problem. The LZ A4 pairing that gets closest to it is the black back and blue front combo. What the LZ A4 does though is give you crisp detailed highs, lots of clarity, bigger soundstage (similar width but better depth) but no harshness or fatigue. Bass goes lower on the LZs too. Dn 1000 has more mid bass emphasis.

It's no contest really, the LZ A4 betters the Dunus in most areas and is more musical and natural sounding.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,183 of 5,225
In the included manual from LZ it recommended 20hrs of white noise followed by 10 hrs of pink noise.

Thank you! Should have RTFM but just too keen I'm afraid. Currently listening to Melody Gardot - Currency of Man. Amazing presentation. I've also found that listening to my poorer tracks (either a little old and not in a good way, or just poorly encoded/mastered) and the A4s bring out the best possible rendition. Currently running X5 as source, through C5 (low gain and bass boost off) - out of interest I tried straight out of X5 and although soundstage width suffered a little (the C5 really boosts this) the quality overall was superb - strictly speaking, these render an additional amp as a luxury rather than a necessity. Having said that, I will try with the Little Dot Mk3 tomorrow out of interest. 

I say tomorrow, it will be later today because I've got jet lag, haven't been to sleep yet and it's 6:05am! Still, I don't mind the chance to just sit and listen - even pre-burn in they're stunning.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #1,184 of 5,225
In regards to asking for extra filters I feel the black is great for my tastes, but something between red and black back is quite appealing as I also feel the red can be loose at times. i would like access to buying replacements though, especially as those little rubber rings have potential for going walkies?!

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,185 of 5,225
Thank you! Should have RTFM but just too keen I'm afraid. Currently listening to Melody Gardot - Currency of Man. Amazing presentation. I've also found that listening to my poorer tracks (either a little old and not in a good way, or just poorly encoded/mastered) and the A4s bring out the best possible rendition. Currently running X5 as source, through C5 (low gain and bass boost off) - out of interest I tried straight out of X5 and although soundstage width suffered a little (the C5 really boosts this) the quality overall was superb - strictly speaking, these render an additional amp as a luxury rather than a necessity. Having said that, I will try with the Little Dot Mk3 tomorrow out of interest. 

I say tomorrow, it will be later today because I've got jet lag, haven't been to sleep yet and it's 6:05am! Still, I don't mind the chance to just sit and listen - even pre-burn in they're stunning.

by the way I totally missed the burn -in comments in the manual as well too eager to listen to them. I accidentally saw the burn in info. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back