LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #1,157 of 5,225
Acoustics are so interesting... The Green and Blue Fronts both have no filter in them but sound so different in comparison. The only difference between the two is the diameter of the inside of the filter. Here is a short comparison from what i hear:

Blue:
Forward treble, thinner sounding, smaller sound in general but more air between instruments

Green:
Forward mids, thick sounding, big sound but a bit less air than the blues

Also, the treble is less extended than on the blues and there is a slight subdue in sub-bass with the greens installed. So far Red / Back and Green / Front are the most musical sounding to me and they have no fatigue at all.

EDIT: After about 5-6 hours listening with the greens now, these are definitely my favorites so far. They remind me of the Black / Back - Red / Front combination but the bass is smh more tight and the mids sound even better IMO than with the Red / Fronts.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #1,158 of 5,225
I've got to admit that I may have dismissed the green filters to fast on my initial filter rolling. These are probably the most mid forward/centric and I like vocals a lot with them. I'm using them with the black back filters as the red ones does still have too lose bass for my preference. I'm still not sure that I'm willing to give up the bass when switching from red to green front as all rounder but for acoustic and vocal music the green ones are a really great option. Will use the black (b) and green (f) combo for some days and then go back to the red (f) and see how I feel about it.

Regarding the filters I'll forward the wishes to LZ but no promises :wink:

Personally I think the 18 combinations available today is enough but would definitely like to have spare filters available. I'll forward both wishes though.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #1,159 of 5,225
Acoustics are so interesting... The Green and Blue Fronts both have no filter in them but sound so different in comparison. The only difference between the two is the diameter of the inside of the filter. Here is a short comparison from what i hear:

Blue:

Forward treble, thinner sounding, smaller sound in general but more air between instruments

Green:

Forward mids, thick sounding, big sound but a bit less air than the blues

Also, the treble is less extended than on the blues and there is a slight subdue in sub-bass with the greens installed. So far Red / Back and Green / Front are the most musical sounding to me and they have no fatigue at all.

EDIT: After about 5-6 hours listening with the greens now, these are definitely my favorites so far. They remind me of the Black / Back - Red / Front combination but the bass is smh more tight and the mids sound even better IMO than with the Red / Fronts.

Really nice work dude :ok_hand:

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #1,160 of 5,225
I've got to admit that I may have dismissed the green filters to fast on my initial filter rolling. These are probably the most mid forward/centric and I like vocals a lot with them. I'm using them with the black back filters as the red ones does still have too lose bass for my preference. I'm still not sure that I'm willing to give up the bass when switching from red to green front as all rounder but for acoustic and vocal music the green ones are a really great option. Will use the black (b) and green (f) combo for some days and then go back to the red (f) and see how I feel about it.

Regarding the filters I'll forward the wishes to LZ but no promises :wink:

Personally I think the 18 combinations available today is enough but would definitely like to have spare filters available. I'll forward both wishes though.

Thank you The ability to purchase spare filters would just be a reassurance.

The amazing thing about A4 is the tunability with the filters. It seems to me that having a filter combination that provides the open and full range that is slightly less fatiguing than Red/ back and Blue/F would satisfy many and an a back filter between Red and Black would also hit many preferences

It appears the pink/grey fronts are not appealing to many users, maybe replacing those with other types would provide even greater appeal.

I not going to say this would be easy or worth it for Mr.LZ since the development of an IEM is more involved than I will ever understand.

If he reads this he knows how much we love what he gave the community and music lovers. If he doesn't know please tell him how happy we are. The LZ-A4 are a homerun.

I do not read every thread on new IEMs but there doesn't seem to be anybody unhappy with build and sound quality.

I really appreciate this thread as there is no bashing opinions and no fanboyism. The comments are overwhelming positive because the product delivers.

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #1,161 of 5,225

Regarding the filters I'll forward the wishes to LZ but no promises
wink.gif

My A4 is on burn-in station now for 150hrs after the burn-in i will try the Black/b+Green/f combination but on OOTB Red/b+Blue/f was my favourite , , ,  

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #1,162 of 5,225
For those who are interested in it Jason Stoddard (from Schiit) wrote an excellent piece about why customers can't always get what they want in his blogging in here a month or two back. I don't have the possibility to find the link right now but will try yo do it later as it was some really interesting reading......

Dec 31, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,163 of 5,225
Dear tree, why are you not a fish?
Dear fish, why are you not a rock?

Disclaimers are always nice.So are honestly straight forward reviews. There are many superb iems out there, but like you folks, I can't help but endorse the A4.

I'm glad the original prototype reviewers (you know who you are :wink:) made the most out of the opportunity, and secondly, it only means that Mr.LZ has a pretty darned good ear in regards to tuning and implemented some good filters here!

Last night I went with a black/black combo and enjoyed the marriage of a relaxed sound with a wide enveloping stage with good mid balance. Ftr the grey aren't so bad.As for the pink, I believe Mr. LZ just decided to make it we can say that there are pink filters. I think FUYU was dumbfounded upon reviewing them!

Happy New Year's to everyone! Cheers and good listening!

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,164 of 5,225
For those who are interested in it Jason Stoddard (from Schiit) wrote an excellent piece about why customers can't always get what they want in his blogging in here a month or two back. I don't have the possibility to find the link right now but will try yo do it later as it was some really interesting reading......

I can't imagine offering spare filtersre a bad or demanding thing. we all drop and lose small items

I don't even know of a place to contact the manufacturer if a warranty issue arises. Can't recall what the manual/insert had on that. For me I would contact the seller and ask them

Please don't get me wrong
I understand we can't get everything we want. I'm not demanding or even expecting anything.
Nothing wrong with a wish list but would not make much of it, as I would hate to see the thread turn into I want this or that.

Much better to hear what people think of the sound and filter combos.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #1,165 of 5,225
I can't imagine offering spare filtersre a bad or demanding thing. we all drop and lose small items

I don't even know of a place to contact the manufacturer if a warranty issue arises. Can't recall what the manual/insert had on that. For me I would contact the seller and ask them

I understand we can't get everything we want. I'm not demanding or even expecting anything.
Nothing wrong with a wish list but would not make much of it, as I would hate to see the thread turn into I want this or that.

I totally agree with you, also offering the filters separately will add no extra cost or time really.

My post was not directed specifically towards anyone but more a general suggestion because I myself found that piece very interesting and well written.

I've worked with making assortments in stores as good as possible (finding the best balance between satisfying most customers needs and still keeping the number of SKU's as low as possible) many years of my working life and see many parallels between that and what he talks about so might be more interesting to me than the average reader :wink:

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,166 of 5,225
I totally agree with you, also offering the filters separately will add no extra cost or time really.

My post was not directed specifically towards anyone but more a general suggestion because I myself found that piece very interesting and well written.

I've worked with making assortments in stores as good as possible (finding the best balance between satisfying most customers needs and still keeping the number of SKU's as low as possible) many years of my working life and see many parallels between that and what he talks about so might be more interesting to me than the average reader
wink.gif

Sorry.  I did not mean to sound like I felt I was being called out.

I understood your post but I wanted to clarify my previous comments and do not want to derail the thread.  Sorry guys I am beating a dead horse.
deadhorse.gif

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,167 of 5,225
I personally am moving on with black front filters (for now). The smooth highs are pretty highlighted with just a hit of sparkle.

Imo, the graph/reference table is a good place to start but a proper graph will be more representative and showcases what's highlighted with each filter.

Also,

What DAP are you guys pairing this with? I'd like to hear someone with say a Shanling M2 with this. The H3 and M3 would be spectacular with it because of their big soundstage.

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,168 of 5,225

Um, contact the retailer? Didn't they offer you a standard 1 year warranty? Ask your seller to contact the manufacturer for spare filters, might be a while before you receive it though.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,169 of 5,225
I personally am moving on with black front filters (for now). The smooth highs are pretty highlighted with just a hit of sparkle.

Imo, the graph/reference table is a good place to start but a proper graph will be more representative and showcases what's highlighted with each filter.

Also,

What DAP are you guys pairing this with? I'd like to hear someone with say a Shanling M2 with this. The H3 and M3 would be spectacular with it because of their big soundstage.

When it comes to DAPs I've used them mostly with the Opus #1 but also quite a bit with the Shanling M1 and Hidizs AP60. Most of all I've used them with my phone (LG G5 with the Hifi Plus module) but I've also used it balanced from the Geek Out 2A and V2+ and even tried it with the Conductor V2+. Imo it sounds great with them all but scale with a good DAC while not needing a lot of power.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful with the specific players you ask about....

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,170 of 5,225
I switched to the green filters last night (red back). Didn't last more than maybe 30 secs, vocals sounds recessed and veiled to me, switched back to Blue for about 30 min. Went back to Green but this time I increased the volume a few notches. This brought the vocals out. Listened to them for about 10 min. Will do more listening tonight.

Peter, Black Green rolls off at 60hz. How sharp of a roll off is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back