LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,126 of 5,225
   The beauty behind the A4 filter implementation is that the bass (especially sub-bass) is never really lacking. If anything, LZ could have omitted  the Blue Filter and opted for an in between the Red and Black because the Black Back filter really eases of the sub-bass (read: considered restraint while remaining in the picture). That's probably my picky mind talking out loud.

I simply enjoy the energetic presence of mids of the Green Front. The Red Back handles the exceptional bass department, and there the mids can really shine with great presence and energy...I don't hear any recession whatsoever. So yeah total like! 

SAFE TO SAY: Any lurker/inquisitive mind reading this:  A4 is for those that want a quality hybrid without having to fear any fatiguing highs! Bonus points for ya!

Ok, got give the Red/B and Green/F a trial.  I have really enjoyed the Red/B and Blue/F just seems so open and clear

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #1,127 of 5,225
   The beauty behind the A4 filter implementation is that the bass (especially sub-bass) is never really lacking. If anything, LZ could have omitted  the Blue Filter and opted for an in between the Red and Black because the Black Back filter really eases of the sub-bass (read: considered restraint while remaining in the picture). That's probably my picky mind talking out loud.

I simply enjoy the energetic presence of mids of the Green Front. The Red Back handles the exceptional bass department, and there the mids can really shine with great presence and energy...I don't hear any recession whatsoever. So yeah total like! 

SAFE TO SAY: Any lurker/inquisitive mind reading this:  A4 is for those that want a quality hybrid without having to fear any fatiguing highs! Bonus points for ya!

Thanks for the inputs! Yea I am indeed a lurker tempted to press the button. I do enjoy my 4in1 for the brightness and treble, though it can be a bit fatiguing after prolonged listening. How would you compare the A4 and the **** 4in1 (if you have tried / owned it)?

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #1,128 of 5,225

Thanks for the inputs! Yea I am indeed a lurker tempted to press the button. I do enjoy my 4in1 for the brightness and treble, though it can be a bit fatiguing after prolonged listening. How would you compare the A4 and the **** 4in1 (if you have tried / owned it)?

Not even on the same planet, nevermind league. The A4 is wayyyyy better.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,129 of 5,225

Sorry Bruv, haven't tried - you might have more luck with fellow reviewers on this thread. At most, my best guess with a boost in the highs would likely be graph past the 10k because of the good live ambient portrayal of the A4. I think there's some room reverb for studio recordings but nothing as refined as say the Flc8s or Dn2000j.

Edit: the A4 lends itself to be rather sweet for male and female (latter to a certain degree). Nothing sibilant. Violins do sing btw. A4 does a lot pretty well. Anyhow this is a definite go to iem for non fatiguing.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,130 of 5,225
  I liked the original A2, but there was something a little off about the tonality, making the singer sound different.  How big of an upgrade is the A4 than the A2 and did they fix the tonality issue?

Also, any comparison to Tenore?

I didn't notice too much in regards to tonality problems though the A2 sounds a bit warmer and has a sweet top end. The A4 is cooler-more evenly balanced and sounds somewhat more revealing. I think the A2 is a little V-shaped but the A4-not so much.The A4 bass does not intrude into the mids and has plenty of power, level, and definition, An all around excellent balanced ear speaker. Hard to fault-even at much higher prices. I still really like the A2 too. Didn't really like the A3 though-just slightly too rolled off in the highs for me though it did have good bass and mids. I'm using Black Backs/Red Fronts.Take all this with a grain of salt as it's only my opinion.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,131 of 5,225
Thanks 1TrickPony. I hope your happy you and your suggestions....
Well, now this a real problem. I thought 2 filter combos was issue buuut no now there is a 3rd. Dang it. Choices
Red/B with Blue/F
Red/B and Black/F
Red/B and Green/F

The below is with the the Red/B filter:

FUYU review is spot with regards to the front filters-Blue/Black/Green

Black front does seem less open,airy feel than the Blue front. A bit more subdued quality to the higher frequency with a nice low end.

Blue front has the most open clear "unveiled" spatial sound with mild fatiguing brightness

Green/Front maybe the best " compromise" if you want to call it that--Open, airy and nice spatial soundstage but none of the slight vividness of the Blue front filter. The graph suggest the low end is not as deep but I think with early listening Green/F has a bit more tight punchy bass quality with sweet smooth upper end. I cant really say much on the mids being more forward but the sound really nice too

Hmm... Red/B and Green/F. Yes this is the combo. I think at least tonight. LOL

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #1,133 of 5,225

I have the both iems  ( A4 and 4in1)  and definitely A4 is much superior in every frequency range , , ,  

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #1,134 of 5,225
Hope to try these some day. Currently own FLC8s, but from various comparisons it sounds like a trade-off for soundstage while giving up resolution. Very intriguing and just by reading impressions and comparisons, it sounds like a no brainer for $200. Used ones will probably be going around for cheaper. Heard no matter what back filter you use, the subbass level on the flc8s is red (ULF)? Yikes...I guess it's not really the pair for people seeking neutrality. Would love to try one though.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #1,136 of 5,225
Hope to try these some day. Currently own FLC8s, but from various comparisons it sounds like a trade-off for soundstage while giving up resolution. Very intriguing and just by reading impressions and comparisons, it sounds like a no brainer for $200. Used ones will probably be going around for cheaper. Heard no matter what back filter you use, the subbass level on the flc8s is red (ULF)? Yikes...I guess it's not really the pair for people seeking neutrality. Would love to try one though.

This is a definite "no-brainer" compliment to the FLC8s, since the A4 responds to areas that the Flc8s were not intended to do.

I loved the celebral holographic projection of the FLC, but have felt a missing element or two. Not sure if it was the fit but I couldn't enjoy the Red Ulf at all since the bass although detailed felt stiff.I was happy to settle with the Grey or Clear Ulf because of their sweet bass definition (already coming from the superb Dn2000). The female vocals on the flc were good but the men's vocals on the A4 are certainly sweeter and more full bodied.

The A4 is more the opposite of the Flc8s than my dn2000. The A4 build and cable is a lot more reassuring for 195$ strangely enough. If you have the chance to hear it, you're most likely going keep one for yourself. This is going to be my on the go.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #1,137 of 5,225
This is a definite "no-brainer" compliment to the FLC8s, since the A4 responds to areas that the Flc8s were not intended to do.

I loved the celebral holographic projection of the FLC, but have felt a missing element or two. Not sure if it was the fit but I couldn't enjoy the Red Ulf at all since the bass although detailed felt stiff.I was happy to settle with the Grey or Clear Ulf because of their sweet bass definition (already coming from the superb Dn2000). The female vocals on the flc were good but the men's vocals on the A4 are certainly sweeter and more full bodied.

The A4 is more the opposite of the Flc8s than my dn2000. The A4 build and cable is a lot more reassuring for 195$ strangely enough. If you have the chance to hear it, you're most likely going keep one for yourself. This is going to be my on the go.

I hate that flc8s can get grainy sometimes because of the treble peak, but that really depends on the track. grey or clear/clear/grey setup with a proper source is just too good. I'll probably pick a used pair of LZ-A4

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,140 of 5,225
I hate that flc8s can get grainy sometimes because of the treble peak, but that really depends on the track. grey or clear/clear/grey setup with a proper source is just too good. I'll probably pick a used pair of LZ-A4

Trust me, I tried to emulate Clear, Clear, Gray on the A4. No chance. Like 1TrickPony said, both FLC8s and A4 are two different beasts. You can get somewhat close on various combos: Red,Black,Gray = Black(B),Black(F).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another question. What would you improve on a possible A5 model? Really curious on what people think could be tweaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back