LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #5,191 of 5,225
What's the best filter set up for Classical music?

I like more blue back and black front filters for classical.

Another long term A4 user here, and no complaints until recently noticed the dreaded fading volume in one unit. Only one unit, never the other, and having read through some of the more recent posts I suspect it just got sweaty in my ear. I'm hoping it's just the filter (I use black / black), and the sound returns the next day (it's happened about 3 times now in listening sessions of 45+ minutes). I've swapped the nozzle filters over to see if they're the culprit.

It happened to my A4s a couple of times and once to my A6s. Always was a moisture issue and was solved keeping the IEMs + the filters + a silica gel bag in a nice closed recipient for a couple of days (or at least for some hours).

EDIT: In my case the issue was always in the front filters and not the IEMs, but it is advisable to do it to the A4s too when the moisture is already affecting the filters.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #5,192 of 5,225
I like more blue back and black front filters for classical.

It happened to my A4s a couple of times and once to my A6s. Always was a moisture issue and was solved keeping the IEMs + the filters + a silica gel bag in a nice closed recipient for a couple of days (or at least for some hours).

EDIT: In my case the issue was always in the front filters and not the IEMs, but it is advisable to do it to the A4s too when the moisture is already affecting the filters.
Mine suffer after only 45 minutes or so use, so effectively they are largely redundant for me. A great pity, as they are very accomplished. I can't find them available in the UK so I've had to look elsewhere, £63 for some BASN Bmasters that are still burning in, but are remarkably good. Some areas inferior, some better than the A4s which is very welcome surprise; but that's another story for another time

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5,193 of 5,225
Bit more info FWIW, I've only used my A4s with cheap sources; a dacmagic XS from my PC, but mostly a LG V30, which is better than most phones but it's still not really that great. Anyway, I've often thought they have been a bit bright for me, a bit harsh at times, until today when I plugged them into a decent dac amp (Marantz HD DAC1) and well, that's an impressive top end!
Conclusion is that depending on how you look at these things, either you need a good source to get the best out of them (implying you shouldn't get them if you don't have one), or that they are future upgrade proof.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #5,194 of 5,225
Bit more info FWIW, I've only used my A4s with cheap sources; a dacmagic XS from my PC, but mostly a LG V30, which is better than most phones but it's still not really that great. Anyway, I've often thought they have been a bit bright for me, a bit harsh at times, until today when I plugged them into a decent dac amp (Marantz HD DAC1) and well, that's an impressive top end!
Conclusion is that depending on how you look at these things, either you need a good source to get the best out of them (implying you shouldn't get them if you don't have one), or that they are future upgrade proof.

Yes! I remember being very surprised when tried some of the "forgotten" IEMs in my collection with a decent source. There're quite cheap devices nowadays that can make them sound very nice (e.g. BT/USB adapters) but of course, the money generally adds better separation, soundstage, balance to the sound and refinement, which I always noticed more in the highs.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #5,195 of 5,225
Yes! I remember being very surprised when tried some of the "forgotten" IEMs in my collection with a decent source. There're quite cheap devices nowadays that can make them sound very nice (e.g. BT/USB adapters) but of course, the money generally adds better separation, soundstage, balance to the sound and refinement, which I always noticed more in the highs.
A dac XS is what, £100? Marantz is about £650, I'd expect it to be a lot better. Not sure how you could develop a scale of it's worth 6x better in some form of sonic improvement, but that's another story

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #5,196 of 5,225
The A4 is the only LZ earphone I've owned, but is it safe to say it's the fan favorite of all the models?

If persuaded do you think Lao Zhong would do another run, create a special edition or something?
I don't use them as often as I used to, but after driving them with the Cayin N3 Pro today.., I think I want a backup pair.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #5,197 of 5,225
The A4 is the only LZ earphone I've owned, but is it safe to say it's the fan favorite of all the models?

If persuaded do you think Lao Zhong would do another run, create a special edition or something?
I don't use them as often as I used to, but after driving them with the Cayin N3 Pro today.., I think I want a backup pair.

Always worth a try, lord knows I love mine and even harder is I think my new A7’s are even better, granted the A4 offers more option in specific tuning (IMO) but sure go for it. I’d love it if he would do the same filters but anodize with Gold, Silver, Gray, etc. Some less loud but classy looking colors:thinking::grin:

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #5,199 of 5,225
Strongly thinking about purchasing the A4 Pro. Has anyone taken the plunge?

Definitely enticing. It looks like a spiritual successor to the original A4.

Here's an online graph I found:
Screenshot_20210917-062353_Facebook.jpg

That's just the bass configs only; I'll try and post the mids and treble graphs as well.

Edit:
Here's the different tunings (mids/ highs):
Screenshot_20210918-223702_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #5,200 of 5,225
Definitely enticing. It looks like a spiritual successor to the original A4.

Here's an online graph I found:
Screenshot_20210917-062353_Facebook.jpg
That's just the bass configs only; I'll try and post the mids and treble graphs as well.

Edit:
Here's the different tunings (mids/ highs):
Screenshot_20210918-223702_Facebook.jpg
Thanks for this!

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #5,201 of 5,225
Hmm, looks interesting. Lz A4 was one of my first hybrids and first with filters. I really liked it, apart from rubbish cable... I went thru two replacements. The sound was slightly too hard bodied at times and could have been softer in the mids, but the filters did work and it was an easy to get on with signature

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #5,203 of 5,225
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #5,204 of 5,225
My LZ A4 pro arrived today. Build and comfort top notch (comfiest IEM I have on rotation), cable is nice. Playing around with the bass vents this evening (with black nozzle), good degree of control, all fairly palatable tunings, think I prefer red for its more atmospheric affect on soundstage and subbass presence. I still have yet to play with the front filters. The overall tuning they've gone for is very good and unlikely to upset. I'm a big fan, the tonal balance is warm leaning and organic. Bass has good texture, rumble and thump, doesn't bleed into mids, mids not shouty and balanced well with good body. The uppermid / lower treble scoop ensures no sibilance at all regardless what I throw at it, treble has plenty of definition but is not piercing. Timbre is excellent, better than Aladdin, ISN H40 and a few others. Technicalities seem to be good too. Tall stage with depth to imaging and space for instrument separation. Need to time for the drivers to settle (as drivers may change slightly) but soundstage width is on the smaller side compared to Aladdin and a few others around the price point but it's not detracting from the enjoyment.

_DSC2712.jpg

So far so good! Looking forward to more people getting these so we can exchange thoughts. Will update as things settle.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #5,205 of 5,225
My LZ A4 pro arrived today. Build and comfort top notch (comfiest IEM I have on rotation), cable is nice. Playing around with the bass vents this evening (with black nozzle), good degree of control, all fairly palatable tunings, think I prefer red for its more atmospheric affect on soundstage and subbass presence. I still have yet to play with the front filters. The overall tuning they've gone for is very good and unlikely to upset most. I'm a big fan, the tonal balance is warm leaning and organic. Bass has good texture, rumble and thump, doesn't bleed into mids, mids not shouty and balanced well with good body. The uppermid / lower treble scoop ensures no sibilance at all regardless what I throw at it, treble has plenty of definition but is not piercing. Timbre is excellent, better than Aladdin, ISN H40 and a few others. Technicalities seem to be good too. Tall stage with depth to imaging and space for instrument separation. Need to time for the drivers to settle (as drivers may change slightly) but soundstage width is on the smaller side compared to Aladdin and a few others around the price point but it's not detracting from the enjoyment.

_DSC2712.jpg

So far so good! Looking forward to more people getting these so we can exchange thoughts. Will update as things settle.
Have you heard any other LZ iems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back