LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #5,206 of 5,225
Have you heard any other LZ iems?

Unfortunately not! I wasn't around for the original A4 and never got the A7 as the aesthetics didn't appeal.

What was your experience with them?

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #5,207 of 5,225
Unfortunately not! I wasn't around for the original A4 and never got the A7 as the aesthetics didn't appeal.

A6, A6 mini, Z04A, Z05A and the A7.

I got a few and like them all except the Z04A/05A (although the Z04A is pretty good after I use my diy foam mod).

I am interested in the A4 Pro, because I am wondering if they are going for their older house tuning (all the other ones) than the newer one (A7), because I like that tuning more and its more unique in the iem world.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #5,208 of 5,225
A6, A6 mini, Z04A, Z05A and the A7.

I got a few and like them all except the Z04A/05A (although the Z04A is pretty good after I use my diy foam mod).

I am interested in the A4 Pro, because I am wondering if they are going for their older house tuning (all the other ones) than the newer one (A7), because I like that tuning more and its more unique in the iem world.

Do you have a FR for some of the older stuff you like? Is it similar to the graphs we have so far of the A4 Pro?

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #5,209 of 5,225
Do you have a FR for some of the older stuff you like? Is it similar to the graphs we have so far of the A4 Pro?
https://rg.squig.link/

Its in my squig. Of the ones I own at least.

1632857183629.png

1632857195672.png

I think it does look pretty similar to the older models.

graph (100).png

Treble tuning looks pretty similar I think.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #5,210 of 5,225

Say What!

Cold Tunes.JPG

A75D.JPG

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #5,211 of 5,225
No doubt the A4 is in my top 10 iem's of all time and think they are killer looking as well but then again I may be the weird one :rolling_eyes:

Purrrdy Pairing.JPG

I mean I may be in a very small group out here that loves both look and sound of these babies:scream:

M2 Hawk Tail.JPG

Don't get me wrong as the more positives roll in for the 4 Pro the more apt I am to pull that trigger:beerchug:

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #5,212 of 5,225
I mean I may be in a very small group out here that loves both look and sound of these babies:scream:

M2 Hawk Tail.JPG

Don't get me wrong as the more positives roll in for the 4 Pro the more apt I am to pull that trigger:beerchug:
Is that the Semkarch CNT1? ....I missed that one...

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #5,213 of 5,225
No doubt the A4 is in my top 10 iem's of all time and think they are killer looking as well but then again I may be the weird one :rolling_eyes:

I like the look of the original L4 its quite cool! I just don't know if it would fit me ear all too well.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #5,214 of 5,225
I like the look of the original L4 its quite cool! I just don't know if it would fit me ear all too well.
I actually had fear of that the first time I saw them and remembered how much I hated the D2000 shells which were very uncomfortable at best. Very much like the Tin T2 and 3! The A4 looks oddly shaped but they actually fit very well for me, even better than the 6 and Mini of course the A7 is very ear compatible.

@RikudouGoku , those are the Tone King 9 Tails or the Silver Snowmen as I like to call them. they are a little on the warm side but if you have a bright DAP they can be total magic :wink:

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #5,215 of 5,225
@RikudouGoku , those are the Tone King 9 Tails or the Silver Snowmen as I like to call them. they are a little on the warm side but if you have a bright DAP they can be total magic :wink:
oh...

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,216 of 5,225
https://rg.squig.link/

Its in my squig. Of the ones I own at least.

I think it does look pretty similar to the older models.

Treble tuning looks pretty similar I think.

Does looks somewhat similar up that end. The low end looks more a little more midbass emphasis, generally.

Also, impressed with the DD in the A4 Pro, tight, naturally textured and good low end extension.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #5,217 of 5,225
Another few observations after more time with the LZ A4 Pro -
  • Tuning is very versatile across genres (even without playing with vents or filters).
  • It's probably one of the most coherent hybrids I've heard at this price point. They've matched the DD and the BAs well.
  • Red vent & black filter is my favourite combination.
  • Most organic Knowles mids & treble I've heard.
  • Very resolving of microdetail.
The one thing holding this back from being great (for me atleast) is the staging. It's on the intimate side with most things happening within the head or just on the cusp of the ears. I would prefer more space and better separation. For this reason however, it's great for jazz trio, folk and acoustic. Busy electronica can become a little overwhelming for my tastes.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #5,218 of 5,225
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #5,219 of 5,225
Oct 3, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #5,220 of 5,225
The A4 is the only LZ earphone I've owned, but is it safe to say it's the fan favorite of all the models?

If persuaded do you think Lao Zhong would do another run, create a special edition or something?
I don't use them as often as I used to, but after driving them with the Cayin N3 Pro today.., I think I want a backup pair.
Always worth a try, lord knows I love mine and even harder is I think my new A7’s are even better, granted the A4 offers more option in specific tuning (IMO) but sure go for it. I’d love it if he would do the same filters but anodize with Gold, Silver, Gray, etc. Some less loud but classy looking colors:thinking::grin:
Forgot I posted this last January. :point_up: Looks like my request was granted, now I have to buy one!
Looking forward to hearing more impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back