LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #5,176 of 5,225
I have a really weird problem with my A4's.
The sound in my right earpiece is sometime dropping out or it sounds really sketchy. There must be a loose connection somewhere. I wanted to know if the problem was the cable or in the earpiece. I switched the left cable on the right earpiece and vice versa. The problem is now gone. I've listened to them for a long time like this, but there is no problem anymore. When I switch the cables back, the problem reappears. Did anyone else have this problem? How is this even possible and what can I do to fix it?

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #5,177 of 5,225
With MMCX, there can be an issue with the length/alignment of the center pin on the cable, and the spread of the socket connector in the earphone - which can cause intermittent signal drops.

Oct 13, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #5,178 of 5,225
To be on the safer side I spent god knows how many hours researching a possible replacement/upgrade for these but I am unable to make up my mind with any offering at around $250. If you guys could pitch in a few recommendations, that'd be a great help.

I prefer neutral sound signature, I barely managed it with LZ-A4 with EQ because of its extra emphasis on bass.

Mostly I listen to Indie tending towards rock/pop-rock/space-rock and experimental.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #5,179 of 5,225
My LZ-A4's bass sounds a bitt off on the right side. Does that mean that the Dynamic Driver on the right side is failing? I tried with multiple combinations of filters, even without filter and even switched the L/R channels, the original right channel still sounds off in the bass region.

Is there any solution to this problem, or is it me just being paranoid?

Plus, to be on the safer side I spent god knows how many hours researching a possible replacement/upgrade for these but I am unable to make up my mind with any offering at around $250. If you guys could pitch in a few recommendations, that'd be a great help.

I prefer neutral sound signature, I barely managed it with LZ-A4 with EQ because of its extra emphasis on bass.

Mostly I listen to Indie tending towards rock/pop-rock/space-rock and experimental.

To me the natural upgrade from the A4 is the A6. They're the best IEM's I've ever heard, period. This is however if one enjoys the A4 as the A6, like all LZ's, are more musical than neutral and the way I understand it they're not really your cup of tea?

For neutral you can check out the **** MT100.

Oct 13, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #5,180 of 5,225
To me the natural upgrade from the A4 is the A6. They're the best IEM's I've ever heard, period. This is however if one enjoys the A4 as the A6, like all LZ's, are more musical than neutral and the way I understand it they're not really your cup of tea?

For neutral you can check out the **** MT100.

Yes, the sound signature of LZ-A4 didn't bother me much, in fact, I loved it initially. Nonetheless, even before the A4s I preferred neutral sound. So, naturally I got disenchanted when the honeymoon period got over. Now, I can't really use them without equalizer, I end up feeling tired because of their emphasis on bass and treble.

Thank you for your recommendation. I looked it over, there doesn't seem to be much information or talk about the ****'s. That makes deciding a challenging task.

Oct 13, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #5,181 of 5,225
Yes, the sound signature of LZ-A4 didn't bother me much, in fact, I loved it initially. Nonetheless, even before the A4s I preferred neutral sound. So, naturally I got disenchanted when the honeymoon period got over. Now, I can't really use them without equalizer, I end up feeling tired because of their emphasis on bass and treble.

Thank you for your recommendation. I looked it over, there doesn't seem to be much information or talk about the ****'s. That makes deciding a challenging task.

Yeah, the brand is banned in here for reasons unknown to me. That's why it's not much information about them.

Only two negative things about them for me is the average isolation and that they're quite hard to drive.

What neutral headphones/IEM's do you have experience with?

Oct 13, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #5,182 of 5,225
Yeah, the brand is banned in here for reasons unknown to me. That's why it's not much information about them.

Only two negative things about them for me is the average isolation and that they're quite hard to drive.

What neutral headphones/IEM's do you have experience with?

Oh, I didn't know the brand you suggested got banned here. When I used to lurk around here actively there were discussions on their IEMs back then.

Audiotechnica ATH-E40 and Soundmagic E80. Those were fantastic for their price. E40 was actually, and probably still is, the best sounding signature I have encountered in my limited experience with IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #5,183 of 5,225
Oh, I didn't know the brand you suggested got banned here. When I used to lurk around here actively there were discussions on their IEMs back then.

Audiotechnica ATH-E40 and Soundmagic E80. Those were fantastic for their price. E40 was actually, and probably still is, the best sounding signature I have encountered in my limited experience with IEMs.

Ok, iirc correctly I've got the E80 around somewhere. If you're interested I can PM you a comparison between the E80 and the MT100 later today. Fwiw I've talked with quite a few seasoned headfiers about the MT100 in PMs and everyone seems to love it as long as you're not a basshead :wink:

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #5,184 of 5,225
Ok, iirc correctly I've got the E80 around somewhere. If you're interested I can PM you a comparison between the E80 and the MT100 later today. Fwiw I've talked with quite a few seasoned headfiers about the MT100 in PMs and everyone seems to love it as long as you're not a basshead :wink:

Thank you.

I am getting AudioSense T800 for $268. How good of an offer is it?

Oct 14, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #5,185 of 5,225
Thank you.

I am getting AudioSense T800 for $268. How good of an offer is it?

I'm sorry but I've never heard the T800, maybe you can ask about them in The Discovery Thread or if they've got a dedicated thread....

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #5,186 of 5,225
I'm sorry but I've never heard the T800, maybe you can ask about them in The Discovery Thread or if they've got a dedicated thread....

I will ask there too. On the other hand, I got an offer on LZ-A6 at $229. Now, i can really use your advice. How do you compare these with A4, which filter would hring it closest to balanced/neutral signature, and how do you compare it with Pink Front A4?

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #5,187 of 5,225
Hey guys. OK so my cable left side died, not working anymore. I am looking for a cheap replacement. I don't want to loose sound quality, I prefer the sound to be warmer, thicker, bassier with big deep soundstage, currently using red back and black front to increase, but at the same time I don't want to loose the separation and air.

Anyone have any suggestions from aliexpress.

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #5,188 of 5,225
Hey guys. OK so my cable left side died, not working anymore. I am looking for a cheap replacement. I don't want to loose sound quality, I prefer the sound to be warmer, thicker, bassier with big deep soundstage, currently using red back and black front to increase, but at the same time I don't want to loose the separation and air.

Anyone have any suggestions from aliexpress.
https://penonaudio.com/lz-a4-occ-upgrade-cable.html

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #5,190 of 5,225
Another long term A4 user here, and no complaints until recently noticed the dreaded fading volume in one unit. Only one unit, never the other, and having read through some of the more recent posts I suspect it just got sweaty in my ear. I'm hoping it's just the filter (I use black / black), and the sound returns the next day (it's happened about 3 times now in listening sessions of 45+ minutes). I've swapped the nozzle filters over to see if they're the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back