LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 2, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #3,032 of 5,225

Red/black
No back/black

FTW

Not for this album, unfortunately. Although "...And Justice for All" is a recording masterpiece, the "smack" of the beater hitting the head of the bass drum has been overdone. So each bass drum hit comes with a low AND high frequency peak. This album sounds absolutely unbearable with headphones that are treble-forward and takes apart every headphone with coherency issues or splashy/peaky treble reproduction. So... black front filters are on the brink of unbearable for this album :)

I still love black/black though and it's easily noticeable that this is LZs reference setup.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,033 of 5,225
Yeah I know... The A4 looks great, I just wanted to know if this IS the best choice of IEM for EDM. Peeps may think another IEM is more suited for the music - that's why I asked lol :wink:

sorry, don't normally listen to edm though I tend to gravitate towards funk, jazz, and grooves. From my experience and hearing (still there), the LZ-A4 excels in conveying rhythm in general; I don't think I've had this much fun bopping, swaying, and toe tapping along my music collection before owning the A4 hybrid. Good tuning overall and the mid bass is pretty nice.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #3,034 of 5,225
Just received 2x Muses02 today and they are going great with A4.

I was in the headachey position that I had 2 different sets of amp chips that I had to exchange in my amp for planar magnetic headphones and A4 = amp lid off all the time.
Now the Muses02 are bridging the A4 and planars and I no longer have to exchange amp chips.

Muses02 not taking away from those stellar decays at all, or all the other LZ house sound stuff.More micro-detail/everything fuller/treble area spot-on for my sensitivity.
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #3,035 of 5,225
I just got my Impact Audio cable in and I really like it.  Not sure I can hear any difference in the sound though ... A4's still sound great though.

I got the 2 strand Type 6 copper litz cable​ with 3.5mm TRS​ and Eidolic rhodium MMCX connectors.

For those of you looking for an upgraded cable, this is a good option.

Here is their stock picture of the cable:

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3,036 of 5,225
  Just received 2x Muses02 today and they are going great with A4.

I was in the headachey position that I had 2 different sets of amp chips that I had to exchange in my amp for planar magnetic headphones and A4 = amp lid off all the time.
Now the Muses02 are bridging the A4 and planars and I no longer have to exchange amp chips.

Muses02 not taking away from those stellar decays at all, or all the other LZ house sound stuff.More micro-detail/everything fuller/treble area spot-on for my sensitivity.
beerchug.gif

FiiO E12A and FiiO A5 are both based on Muses02 if you're interested in taking it to the high level with this! 

BTW, also like Muses02 in certain combos! Really brings out the mids and bass and gives music a black background! 

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,037 of 5,225
  Just tried red/red out of curiosity. I normally prefer the bass quantity of the black back filters, but suddenly the bass drums on Metallica's "...and justice for all" album sound coherent. Which is an achievement most headphones out there can't pull off. Nice.

​Thanks for mentioning that. This is one of my all time favorite albums. I have tried about every combo and black/black is my normal choice, but you are right about the red/red sounding "right" on this album. It matches much more closely to my old car audio systems sound, except for the chest mashing bass. :)

These A4's are really fun to play around with. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #3,039 of 5,225

FiiO E12A and FiiO A5 are both based on Muses02 if you're interested in taking it to the high level with this! 

BTW, also like Muses02 in certain combos! Really brings out the mids and bass and gives music a black background! 

iBasso PB2 is the higher level :wink:

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #3,040 of 5,225
  I just got my Impact Audio cable in and I really like it.  Not sure I can hear any difference in the sound though ... A4's still sound great though.

I got the 2 strand Type 6 copper litz cable​ with 3.5mm TRS​ and Eidolic rhodium MMCX connectors.

I think if it is not cryo treated, the cable can oxidise over time and go a bit green.
With expensive copper cables it should be cryo treated though. For longer-term copper cabling that is expensive, I'd tend to buy sleeved stuff myself now.
Silver does not have that problem as a side bonus.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #3,041 of 5,225
I think if it is not cryo treated, the cable can oxidise over time and go a bit green.
With expensive copper cables it should be cryo treated though. For longer-term copper cabling that is expensive, I'd tend to buy sleeved stuff myself now.
Silver does not have that problem as a side bonus.
That's a ten-year-old pure copper speaker cable from the hardware store. If a copper cable turns green, something went horribly wrong during the manufacturing process. Pure silver, on the other hand, turns black really quickly, if it's not sealed.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #3,042 of 5,225

I bought the same cable back in December, but with a 2.5mm TRRS Plug.
And, Lindsay made a 3.5mm TRS Plug to 2.5mm TRRS Jack adapter cable for me, to allow my various balanced cables to be connected to my single-ended devices.

Here's a photo showing both cables, with my LZ A4, connected to my Shanling M1, on a lanyard that I can wear around my neck.

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,043 of 5,225
I am about to pull the trigger on a cable from Impact Audio Cables, just wondering if any of you guys who has upgraded the cable can tell any difference in sound?  Like I said earlier, the stock cable sounds good and seems ok, just think I would still like to upgrade. Don't want to get my hopes up that it will sound better as well, but one can hope ... Any thoughts from those of you with experience here?
My two cents is upgrade your cable after you upgrade your source as high as you can go.
You have a better chance of hearing a difference with a great source. Not quite what you were asking but you should have a better chance squeezing better sound that way. Some will say the opposite.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3,044 of 5,225
The A4 are a fine earphone so it is your Dap. Upgrade it I love my Shanling M5 but it may be a tad spendy for some. The Fiio X3 ii is great and reasonable as well.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #3,045 of 5,225
The A4 are a fine earphone so it is your Dap. Upgrade it I love my Shanling M5 but it may be a tad spendy for some. The Fiio X3 ii is great and reasonable as well.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Fiio X5 Gen 3. Not a fan of DAPs but it won me over. Dual Balanced USB DAC ability makes it an all in one desktop setup too.

The A4 sounds particularly excellent out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back