LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #3,001 of 5,225
Sound-stage perception occurs more from the music (how it was recorded) and the transducers (open vs closed, and ability to hear crosstalk between channels).  Typically with IEMs you won't get a lot anyway.  If an IEM is V shaped, you can get an impression of stage if the vocals are recessed.  My advice - use a balanced front filter, and explore add-on DSP effects for your source.  If using Android - try Viper or Neutron.

If you get a chance try to hear InEar Prophile8 , it has quiet big stage both in width and depth. If you see FR its flat response. Sorry to be off topic.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #3,002 of 5,225
Well, that cable I posted earlier is pretty darn solid. Sounds good, just as good as stock cable. I do really want a balanced cable for this, I guess once Chinese new year is over I'll look on AE and see about getting a good price.

On that note, decided to give the Pink a go with the Black rear. These are not useless. Gotta turn the volume up but these I'm really digging it so far but on Hi gain and high volume it will kill my battery.

Swapped front Pink for Gray, same roll off at 60hz....umm yeah these sound goooood. Mids really shine but still get plenty of bass and enough top sparkle. Good separation and enough air remains.

Lol I posted the Black Pink was actually good back at the end of January and nobody cared. Guess I'm chopped liver compared to Brooko :D

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,003 of 5,225
Lol I posted the Black Pink was actually good back at the end of January and nobody cared. Guess I'm chopped liver compared to Brooko :D

Hate to say I missed that or i would have tried.
You are one of the main reasons I own the A4

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,004 of 5,225
I'm not totally versed with most measurements, but soundstage dimensions (x= width, y= height, z= depth) goes beyond any frequency graph. my best and humble guess would be in relation build and sound projection coming from physical properties of iem (then consequently comes other factors like tips, ear structure etc).

at most, a good upper treble extension will still provide ambience, reverb coming from hall, or recording studio for example. that said, I'm thoroughly amazed at these aspects considering the price some of us paid! I'd love to hear a future LZ release that has this performance with a bit more resolution and texture. Darn smitten as to how these tick so many boxes for me...

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3,005 of 5,225

brah...I've tried the pink and blue... lol I definitely wouldn't know what to do with that!

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #3,006 of 5,225
Hate to say I missed that or i would have tried.
You are one of the main reasons I own the A4

Haha as you can see in the post it was short lived but I did give them a fair go.

brah...I've tried the pink and blue... lol I definitely wouldn't know what to do with that!

Haha pretty sure I skipped blue backs with em

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #3,007 of 5,225
Shockwave III

Sound stage and details are ridiculous.
:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Heh, I just listed mine for sale because the A4 do what I need them to do :) Sorry for OT, but you still liking your SW3? Mine are just sitting in a drawer.

Haha as you can see in the post it was short lived but I did give them a fair go.
Haha pretty sure I skipped blue backs with em

Have you worn out your filter threads yet like I predicted a few months ago? LOL just kidding just kidding 

I put the black front back on and have left it alone at black front, red back with the upgraded Dunu copper cable. All is well in A4-land for me. 

-Collin-

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #3,008 of 5,225
Brooko,

If you still have them, it would be interesting to see how the LZ-A4 measures vs. comparable tunings for the FLC8S. 

Well, for that matter I would also be interested in your subjective thoughts vs. the FLC8S.

Forrest purchased a pair of the LZ-A4 and posted some of his graphs in the FLC8S forum, which was interesting.

As you know, I believe in both companies but its fun to compare what appear to be leaders in the tunability segment.

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,009 of 5,225
Here's what I have for the Red Back. After 5k is pretty much off by a bit and needs compensation. The whole graph looks a bit off.

I'm using the **** silver plated cable instead of stock (mine broke), and sennheiser biflanges (important)

red=red
black=yellow
grey=grey
green=green
pink=pink
blue=blue

Basically say no to Blue and Green fronts without EQ, which is in line with Brooko's graph. Pink would seem to be missing quite a bit up top based on this graph, but I don't necessarily hear things that way. I'll have to see how the other back filters measure.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #3,010 of 5,225
Here's mine with the black-backs. As with bhazard, don't mind anything above 3khz as mine also needs a lot of compensation (e.g. I hear a much larger 4khz peak). That one line with a tad more bass is red/red. With my measurement, the red-back does appear to have more bass while dipping in the low-mids/mids compared to black/red. After 3khz, it's identical.

edit:
red = black/red
blue = black/blue
darker green (with that 2khz peak) = black/green
darker grey = black/black
grey = black/grey
red = black/red
pink = black/pink
light green = red/red

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,011 of 5,225
SeeSax hahahaha everything is still working perfectly surprisingly. Considering going back to Black black from Red Gray just to see how they are now. With the A4, my LyxPro and SHP9500S I've been quite content

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #3,012 of 5,225
Here's what I have for the Red Back. After 5k is pretty much off by a bit and needs compensation. The whole graph looks a bit off.

I'm using the **** silver plated cable instead of stock (mine broke), and sennheiser biflanges (important)

red=red
black=yellow
grey=grey
green=green
pink=pink
blue=blue

Basically say no to Blue and Green fronts without EQ, which is in line with Brooko's graph. Pink would seem to be missing quite a bit up top based on this graph, but I don't necessarily hear things that way. I'll have to see how the other back filters measure.

Saying no is your preference, many enjoy it

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3,013 of 5,225
So weird how much influence a graph can have, listened to the Red Gray right and sure enough I actually could hear the recession in vocals even when I thought initially it was more mid forward. Swapped backs to black, then swapped tips to Black and back to the original Red Gray and sure enough it's there. No for some odd reason I'm back to Black Blue but I'm going to head back to Black Black because indeed these are too artificially treble forward.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #3,014 of 5,225
I've been eyeing on this lately, but could anyone actually compare this with the Super Audio 6 or the Rose IEMs in this price range? 
I personally have a HD650 and I'm looking for something tuned towards this sound. Something very well balanced but does not lose out too much bass. I currrently have both KZ ZS3 and ED9 and looking for a serious upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back